JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Years ago crows would get into my pup's kennel and eat his kibbles. I decided to shoot a few to send a message. First one was no problem as he just flew straight up out of the kennel and landed in a tree a above . I whacked him with a .177 pellet. After that it was slim pickens as they would take off and leave as soon as I opened door from my house or roll into driveway with my rig. I started packing my pellet gun with me in pickup and would park at end of driveway when I got home. On the second day I did this I snuck to within view of kennel and 2 flew out of kennel. One left and the other landed in a tree about 25 yds away. I carefully took aim and just as I was about to squeeze he flew. His flight path was right towards me and gaining elevation. From my hip I swung with him letting my instincts guide me and popped off a shot just as he was 5 yds out and 25 yds up. The shot caught him in the chin and he fell stone dead at my feet. A bit of luck for sure but the wife and I used to practice shooting small cans and blocks of wood out of the air with a 22 rifle. We would find a safe place up in the hills and take turns throwing for each other. You would be amazed how consistently you could make hits. I actually think my wife still holds the record of 8/10 which she often likes to point out to me.

I exploded a rabbit orange from 100 yards yesterday at work. The thing was posing a danger to society (had a worm or big hole in it) and I did what any logical person would do. My coworker was very impressed, first shot and it blew up. Gotta love ballistic tip 223's!

Once upon a time when I was a much younger broad, I was going with a guy, Bob, who I met when selling some guns through a gun ad in the newspaper. He went to lots of gun shows, so I started going with him and helping with his booth. At one point when we were booth tending, he commented that many who were really into guns and went to these shows, had booths, etc., couldnt shoot worth damn. He asked, not in an offensive way, just asking, how well I could do with the Ruger Security 6 snubby .357 mag revolver that was my EDC in those days. (He had never seen me shoot.)

I responded: "From an offhand position, shooting single action, I can keep everything on a 9" paper plate at 40 yards." In actuality I was being modest. My 6-shot group sizes for SA at 40 yards were usually 4 - 5 inches, and centered nicely on the plate. (40 yards was the longest distance I had in the place in the woods where I usually practiced. I'd measured it.)

Bob didn't believe me. !!!!! Seriously p!ssed off Young Broad. In fact, he said it wasn't possible for anyone to do that with a snubby revolver. (This was in the era before YouTube videos, and many people, even many experienced shooters, would have agreed with Bob.) I pointed out that my gun wasn't a small-frame gun with inadequate sights, like most snubbies, and admitted that I cant shoot J-frame Smiths or other small-frame guns very well either. But my snubby was a full size gun with full-size adjustable sights. It just had a short barrel. I had even changed the springs so I had a lighter better SA. And with this snubby I could do exactly what I said.

Bob vehemently maintained that I could not do what I said. And he said I must not know what 40 yards looked like, and started asking me to evaluate various things at various distances. All beside the point since I had fu<king measured the course with a tape measure, not estimated. Thoroughly angry Young Broad just shrugged and said her favorite practice spot was just about an hour and a half away. Suggested after the show we go there. Bob agreed. So we did.

I carried paper plates in my pack routinely, and set one up. (I did a lot of hiking in those days, and shooting was always part of the point.) We went to my 40 yard position. Bob agreed it looked like 40 yards. I took up my position. I was so angry I was shaking with rage. But, fact is, if I'm riled or the chips are down, I usually think faster and perform better physically and mentally. And I was very riled. I put all 6 rounds in a perfectly centered group that was just slightly above 3 inches. Best offhand group I ever fired with a snubby revolver at that distance, before or since.

Bob, of course, wanted to try. So we set up another paper plate. He shot off a cylinder without hitting the paper plate. Then my teaching drive took over. And I taught Bob my Secret Trick. The next cylinder he got one hit on the paper plate. The third cylinder he got four hits on the plate. And after that he continued getting mostly hits. He was elated. (And he was graceful enough to croon, in the car on the way back, "My baby can shoot.")

Anyone want to know my Secret Trick?

Nope. It was the Security Six.

I was at the range on Fort Lewis with an M1A. I set up, inserted the magazine, fired a 3-shot group at 100 using the standard sights. A .350ish hole emerged in the X-ring. There are witnesses. Only 3 shots I fired that day.
I was shooting my first Ruger 30-06 off of the hood of my truck. I put 4 rounds of Remington 150gr Core-Lokts in the mag and proceeded to do my best. The first three shots were all touching and formed a nice little triangle. I didn't shoot the 4th shot. :D Somewhere I have that target tucked away. If I find it, I'll post it.

Found it. 100 yards.
IMG_20160324_0002.jpg

A friend and I were plinking at spent 12ga shells, he had a 9 shot H&R revolver and I had my scoped Remington 581-s. He'd shoot a bunch and get a couple then I'd get bored and knock them all over and keep shooting until they were all out of sight. As we were resetting them, I told him lay some on their side with the primer facing where I'd shoot at them from. He thought I was full of beans and walked over to a stump probably 50 yards away and stuck a dime in the bark. He said "you think you're a pretty good shot, well see if you can hit that dime". Being the cocky SOB I can be I put a round in the chamber and pulled the clip out and handed it to him. I fired and the dime went flying thru the air. My buddy looked for quite some time and finally found it, I'd put the bullet about 1/2 a bullet diameter away from dead center. I didn't tell him I was (back then) classed as a AA shooter in the sporter class of reduced silhouettes using this rifle.

In my late teens, I and my cousins and brothers would all go out and set up some fun and challenging shots to see who was "Top Shot" in the family.
We had a pretty good size mill pond and there was machinery and debris all around, so there was plenty to shoot at!
I set up an old glass medicine bottle on a stump across the pond and we all sat down to eat lunch! Every one says "That's too easy" why even bother, the shot was about 200 feet or so, well within the range of a .22LR, I said, NOPE, watch this, and with out blinking, I fired at the surface of the pond and bounced that bullet into the bottle which shattered most satisfyingly! I was the champ for quite a while after!
We used to snipe dragon flies on the wing, that could be quite the challenge, we used 'CB" rounds and always had a good back stop! There was a dam at the end of the pond and a pretty good size hill strait back, so we had a good couple hundred yards to shoot and no worries! I sure miss those days!

We used to snipe dragon flies on the wing, that could be quite the challenge, we used 'CB" rounds and always had a good back stop! There was a dam at the end of the pond and a pretty good size hill strait back, so we had a good couple hundred yards to shoot and no worries! I sure miss those days!
That sounds like fun.
I remember my cousin talking about CB caps when we were kids. I had never heard of them. To this day I've never even handled a CB round. Think it's high time I change that.

Great thread! Riding the school bus home one day, I saw a China Rooster in the field across from the house as the bus stopped. I hurried into the house and got my old single shot .22. I was creeping up on a fence post for a rest when he took flight. I threw the rifle up and popped of a round and I'll be darned if he didn't tumble to the ground. Boy, was I surprised!

CB rounds are handy at times...
I have them to dispatch birds and such that the cats have only played with , but not killed.
From my H&R 649 with its 5 1/2 barrel...they are quieter than a .22 air rifle I once owned.
Andy

That sounds like fun.
I remember my cousin talking about CB caps when we were kids. I had never heard of them. To this day I've never even handled a CB round. Think it's high time I change that.
I still have a few bricks of the "old Remmy gold" from way back, they are super quiet from a long barreled .22 rifle, all you hear is the firing pin strike!

CB rounds are handy at times...

From my H&R 649 with its 5 1/2 barrel...they are quieter than a .22 air rifle I once owned.
I still have a few bricks of the "old Remmy gold" from way back, they are super quiet from a long barreled .22 rifle, all you hear is the firing pin strike!
I was imagining them out of Grandpa's Marlin with it's 24" barrel. 22 Shorts are about the same as my air rifle. Can't wait to not hear the CBs. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top