JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Before guns, way back in Fred Flinstone's time, my friends and I would ride wagons or carts made out of wagon parts down the sidewalk hill. Long story very short, Jack took off on the cart when it was my turn to ride so I picked up a rock and hucked it. He was most of the way down the hill by the time I found the rock and it was quite the distance, so I threw in a nice arc, like throwing in from the outfield. Wouldn't ya know it? That rock landed squarely on the top of his head. :s0073: (Futher Mucker took my cart!) Man, I'll bet that still hurts.

Twas back in '36 I think it wuz....Near bouts fallin' leaf time.....
Ask Jim Bridger he wuz there.....

Anyhow we wuz down Ariyzona way...and this old Hoss wuz lookin' for something to eat...
We spies a herd of auntylope....and up goes my Hawken...
But jist as I wuz drawin' a bead on one.....a cussed rattlesnake makes my pony jump....and I touches off my rifle....
This is one of the few times I ever missed with that there Hawken...

Well my Hawken might have been loaded a mite hot....as that round ball took off with loud CRACK...
Why it made the clouds burst with rain....and when the ball did finally hit the earth....it went to gouging and digging deep inna the ground....left a mighty deep hole there too...

Y'all might have heard of it....Nowadays they call it the Grand Canyon....:D
Andy

Camping with my dads friend Mart about dusk Mart bet me a dollar he could shoot one of the bats flying around, my dad looked at me and said dont bet him, I looked up at these little tiny bats darting around at high-speed about 30-40 yards up And said "you're on" , he grabbed a Ruger 10-22 threw it to his shoulder went Bam ,bat fell out of the sky. Easily the best shot I've ever seen and it only cost me a dollar.

Years ago a buddy and I went pistol shooting at our favorite back-woods location. My buddy, who was a bit rusty and frustrated with his groupings all day, finally grabs a tennis ball from the back of his truck and tosses it on the ground about 25-30 yards out and tells me if I can hit it within three shots from my 92FS that he would buy lunch. My first shot drilled it dead center. He bites his lip and walks to get the tennis ball. When he gets back he grabs another one from the container and says, "I will buy you lunch for a month if you can hit it before it hits the ground", and chucks it back out toward the clearing. My first shot misses, my second hits mid-air sending the tennis ball veering off to the left, and the third misses (or so I think). He just looks at me and we walk out to the tennis ball. While he is quietly grumbling, I'm thinking to myself "Geez! I can't believe I hit it!" We inspect the tennis ball and find not one, but two entry and exit holes. I smile at him and ask him if that means he owes me lunch for two months.

Lunch was good!

I've never been able to shoot like that before or since. Just one of those funny moments that happens at the right place and time for a good memory and story.

Skeet shooting with an SKS. I know its not that hard of a shot if you are used to point shooting with a shotgun but my M.O. was to yell "pull" with the rifle on the ground next to me and pick up the rifle once the clay pigeon was in the air. Used to piss off a friend of mine who spent a lot of money on his Benelli and couldnt hit squat with it.

I always thought the funnest job in WW2 had to be as the tailgunner in a B29..

Back in my lust for blood days. :rolleyes:
A friend of mine and I were shooting Coots. He had a dbl 20ga., I had an M1 Carbine.
We hadn't gone too far when he dropped a double right in front of us. :)
He looked at me with a smirk and said, "Try that"...:p

We walked another 20 yards, or so when another pair of Coots took off and crossed in front of us. I threw up my carbine and fired one shot. The bullet went threw both birds, dropping them in front of us. :eek:... Try that, I said. :)

My dad was the oldest of 5 brothers back in rural (very rural) Ohio along the Ohio River. He lived on the same property that my Great Grandfather was born on in 1822. At 10 years old his dad handed down to him a Stephens Favorite single shot .22 rifle. He put a brick of .22 ammo through that rifle every week. He talked about he and his brothers lighting a match with a .22 bullet at 15 yards. I would have doubted that, but I had been watching him hit baseballs, beer cans, and golf balls in the air with a .22 rifle for all of my growing up years.

My story though, is at the range sighting in my S&W 1500 .30-06. About 3 years ago I went to the range to sight in and figured it might take a few shots, since the rifle hadn't been touched since the previous season's final cleaning. The first 3 shots from the bench were a 1" group centered on the X in the bull ring. I said to the spotter that I think that's good enough. He suggested I take one more for luck, so I obliged. Shot #4 was a spinner, dead center on the X. I just acted like I never expected anything else and went home after 4 shots.

A couple of years ago at one of the pits out east of Estacada I was target shooting at about 75 yards and using a paper plate on a stick for a target. I had my Bushmaster AR with the Fulton Armory barrel on it. Using a 30 round mag, I obliterated the stick behind the paper plate with the first two shots and it fluttered to the ground. I proceeded to empty the other 28 rounds at about half second intervals at the plate, and kept it dancing with each shot. When I got done the other 4 or 5 guys there had stopped what they were doing and just stood and watched. One of them later walked over and said "That was mighty fine shooting!"

I was imagining them out of Grandpa's Marlin with it's 24" barrel. 22 Shorts are about the same as my air rifle. Can't wait to not hear the CBs. :D
CBs are the bomb. Sounds like a pellet gun. Got the power to take out cat sized animals. They don't upset the neighbors.

I like to go out shooting with one of my foremen at work. He always brings realtor signs . The worlds best target holders. He put them out at 50 or 100 yards with 4 or 5 targets on them. He comes back and get them sighted in and I shoot the legs out from under the sign. Good times.

Another challenge we had, our version of "Kick the Can" you started out with an old soup can at about 30 feet and each shot would bounce the can further away. the idea was to keep the can moving non stop and further away, first miss was the first looser! I managed to get my can just past 100 yards before I finally missed! It took one of the Cousins a few months to better my record, but he did and I never heard the end of it the rest of that summer! He still brags about it, but it's cool, I was the first to do it, so I still point that out when he starts in! Those of us with bolt actions were at the disadvantage against those Winchesters and Marlins levers, but I wouldn't trade that Mod 52 Winchester for any thing, or sell if for any amount of money! :D

Good buddy from work invited me to his family farm to shoot critters at the dump. Turns out he forgot to invite the critters. So.. Now we're making called shots on various small items scattered about the site. After a spell, I walked over and picked up a plastic lemon. You know, the one that came filled with lemon juice. Looking around, I found a piece of Christmas ribbon, tied it around the lid and hung it from a limb. We backed away about 60 yards or better, but before I could call it he began shooting. I let him empty his bolt action Winchester 22 Lr and then raised my Marlin 39A and fired a single shot. The bullet struck the lemon off center, which unscrewed it from it's cap and sent the lemon into the unknown. As I looked closer I saw that the green cap remained tied to the ribbon, and was swaying around in the wind. I spouted off "hey, watch me nail that cap" at which point I raised the trusty Marlin and shot the cap from its noose of ribbon. Two shots, two awesome hits... Done!

Preamble to Secret Trick. In my Ruger Security 6 snubby I was shooting 158 gr Winchester Silvertips instead of a more usual 125 gr self defense load. There were lots of reports on accuracy of various loads from ransom rests in gun mags back then. I had noticed that generally Ruger and SW snubbies performed about as well as longer barreled revolvers of the same model on 158 gr bullets, but not 125 gr bullets. The snubbies had wider groups with 125 gr bullets than they did with longer bullets. I speculate that the short barrel doesnt stabilize the shorter .357 loads optimally. You only see the problem with very accurate revolvers such as the top of the line full size smiths and rugers and Colts. These guns could generally do Ransom rest groups under 2 inches at 50 yards. With less good revolvers groups are so much larger you cant see such differences.

Secret Trick. I breath in and cock gun as I bring it on target. Then, keeping arms and sight picture steady I breath out, then in. Sights drop below target as I breath out, then travel back up toward target as I breath in, making a nice arc sort of like a pendulum. I start my trigger squeeze as the sights approach the target on the upswing. And the gun fires while it is still in motion but very nearly at the top of the upswing and back on target. The gun usually is still aimed very slightly below the target when it fires, but this is probably corrected for by the fact that the gun is moving upward.

Im not sure why this pattern works so well. It may be that the motion of the gun stabilizes it. It may also be that the pattern causes much greater attention and disciple with respect to various elements such as trigger squeeze. Only relevent if there is plenty of time for the shot. I did use it to take a deer with an offhand 60-yard shot from a 4-inch revolver once though.

Last Edited:
27" barrel
9" to start
9" full length
9" withdrawn
27" barrel fired many shots and hit the target where it made the most effect.
Minimal recoil.

Doubt me?

I got a son to prove it!! ;)

Back when dry land was barely emerging from the Seas and prehensile tails were disappearing from many rural homesteaders, my city buddies had become enthused with the new generation of S&W 59s in 9mm and were making all sorts of claims. They came to visit & show off their New Stuff. I had endured their annoying commentary about favorite 'target rocks' collection long enough, so had picked up my first 1911. Never had a 45 acp before, we took to the target pit. There was a medium sized tree trunk there trimmed off from fireword in a formation known as 'a school marm' for some reason or other *kaff*kaff*....

Setting it on the ground at about 40 yards, Larry (otherwise known as Nearly Normal) let fly with a couple magazines full, missing a few shots but making it dance around a bit.

My turn came, I hadn't had time to even sight the Goldcup in yet, but there I was. Carefully braced across the trunk, I aimed as well as possible & let fly my first shot.

The school marm suddenly moved backwards about 6 feet, broke in half, and fell over.

Study of the pieces revealed I had by chance hit the weaker folded area of the crotchwood junction just right, and it flew apart. Larry was chagrinned and changed his tone on the mighty 9 vs 45 debate.

Within a few days I tacked a small paper target to a tree, backed off about 40-50 feet, and let fly with another round. I couldn't see where it hit, so went forward to check the paper. This x-ring was just the size of the 45acp round, and I had hit it exactly within that printed circle. I had been training at 50' indoor 22 bulls eye, so evidently some bit of training did transfer. Plus in those days I could actually see the x-ring.

Never had quite that kind of results since.

Had an original ruger 22auto with a four inch barrel, I put countless rounds through it. Got to the point I would shoot from the hip and hit most of the cans i would set up at 25 feet. As a challenge I would lay the cans down and take aimed shots through the hole in the top. I actually got good at it, then my eyes betrayed me. I doubt I could do it anymore. Wife #2 wound up with the gun

Antelope hunting "bout four seasons ago, 18 points to get the tag, down in the very south east corner of Oregon. Me and two other guys. We were driving across the desert going from one place to another and kicked some antelope. I was front seat shotgun and jumped out. A nice buck was haulin' bubblegum. He was running from right to my left and quartering away. I had a CZ 550 with me in 270 Win. Lined up and led him, squeezed it, and he somer-saulted. By buddy had a rabge finder and it was at 225 yards. Through the neck hardly wasting any meat. And I knew I was lucky, and proud. Never would tell about that shot without two witnesses.

DSCF5972.JPG

My wife made one today. She nailed a rabbit at about 45 yards that was running full tilt away from her on about a 45 degree angle. The kicker? She did it with 1 shot from her double stack 1911 in 22TCM. I was impressed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top