JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are certainly more eloquent than dman. I think that there certainly is a rise in the us versus them mentality. But I do not only fault the LEO's. Look at some of the responses on this thread. It's an interesting catch-22. People want LEO's to respect them and will only start to reciprocate after LEO's start. And yet people whine when LEO's do what they are paid to do. It's the LEO's fault that they were going 15 mph over the speed limit. Both sides need to work towards respect. To quote a line from a really bad movie, it's a two way street, not a highway and a bike path. Both sides are at fault and both need to start being respectful.

Hence why I find those people so sad and disapointing. Their attitude does more to alienate good people working at a difficult job than all the training and equipment combined. Such is the price of freedom.

And the answer to these issues is what in your opinion? You seem to be highlighting problems (which I agree, mistakes happen, and problems exist), but without offering answers.

The solution was implied in naming the causes of the problem. Training is the solution. Instead of training LEOs to believe that they are special and above "civilians", instead of training them that the most important consideration of all is going home safe at the end of the shift, instead of being masters, train them to be the servants they should be. Train them to treat all citizens encountered with respect and deference. Train them that their career involves risking their own lives to save the lives of innocent citizens.

So, I repeat my question, respectfully; should we go back to an empty revolver with a round in the pocket? How should high risk warrants be served? I understand the differences between the battlefield and the street, but both have their dangers, and both soldiers and police officers deserve the tools to do their jobs.

If you want to be respectful you can stop with the straw man argument. Nobody advocated disarming police. Nobody talked about unloaded revolvers and single cartridges in shirt pockets. Is your argument so weak that you have to distort the arguments of your opponents?

There is nothing wrong with having ARs available when needed. The same goes for body armor and APCs. But those pieces of equipment should not be routinely employed in serving warrants. That former marine in AZ who was executed in his own home deserved better than to have his door broken down with a few seconds notice.

For another solution, attitudes need to be monitored and adjusted. As a chief I would not tolerate officers who place themselves apart from and above the citizenry. Foul language, inappropriate use of force, and poor attitudes would be corrected or people would be removed from the force. There's no room for psychopaths behind a badge.

How about we not get caught in a catch-22, and both sides start giving respect? At risk of sounding like a gun-grabbing liberal (which I am not), if both sides move towards the common goal, neither has to go as far...

I'm unfailingly polite to cops, even the few times they gave me a ticket

My son-in-law is an LEO as is a friend who is an OSP. Both have said it: being polite/respectful at the scene will always be in your best interests because if you go in front of a judge to plead your case that will come to light and can only help you. Being an argumentative prick in front of the judge or at the scene will only hurt you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top