JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately, some folks are getting a little riled up believing those rumers, and are going on vigilante patrols, looking for the supposed 'antifa busses'...

People need to calm way down. Stuff like that is, aside from not being OK, illegal.

I got caught in a little "protest" on my way home. Mostly just a bunch of young people yelling at drivers, blocking the road and doing burnouts.

782E07A7-B354-4D16-AA9E-8A39042B2469.png

" the benefits of open carry elude me. "

Most of the time I conceal carry, but when fueling up I open carry.

Why?

Discourages beggars, bums and small time con artists from approaching me while I'm anchored in one spot.

Plus Open Carry is legal in Texas.

The intent of the "PATRIOTS" is understandable. But the reality is that it is only visual, at least if you have half a brain.

So, someone breaks a storefront window and steals something from a store. Are you really gunna shoot them? Thats a great way to become a felon, loose your rights and and your home defending yourself in court.

The intent of the "PATRIOTS" is understandable. But the reality is that it is only visual, at least if you have half a brain.

So, someone breaks a storefront window and steals something from a store. Are you really gunna shoot them? Thats a great way to become a felon, loose your rights and and your home defending yourself in court.
if the shopkeeper requests assistance in either stopping the looter, or stopping an armed robber, then yes that is a legal action. Otherwise; I have my own doubts that it would fly in the eyes of the law...:s0092:

In other words... the primary reason for carrying, be it openly or concealed.. is self defense. I will shoot to protect me and mine, but not to protect others unless asked/requested.

if the shopkeeper requests assistance in either stopping the looter, or stopping an armed robber, then yes that is a legal action

I have my doubts as to that "legal opinion" lol.

We all have seen how creative a DA can get if they get a hard on. And they are the 800 lb gorilla and will charge you with multiple offenses, just so they can throw you a bone with a plea bargain and get you to plead guilty and make the worst go away.
And most of us don't have the financial resources to defend ourselves with a lawyer in criminal court.

Then, there's the possibility or being sued in Civil court and those expenses can ruin you.

Given those realities, isn't it better to let them steal something that isn't yours? Would you not be better off letting the police, who are paid for such duties, deal with it? Would you not trade a $500 TV for the tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees?

Personally, I'm NOT going to shoot someone over minor property thats not mine or any of my business. I will defend myself & my loved ones.

The "optics" are another issue. We as gun owners are always under the microscope and need to resist the temptation to self inflict.

CD,

Agreed!

Though I'm not obligated to help nor am I law enforcement with all the legal protections they enjoy, thus I may or not help...depends!

There are the Good Samaritan laws out there, though mostly related to providing medical assistance, one could argue that it applies to defense cases. Also a good reason to get carry/defense insurance where allowed

Last Edited:
Oregon doesn't have "brandishing" laws on the ORS books, and the idiot violators were charged with menacing, which is on the ORS books.

ORS 163.190¹

Menacing

(1)A person commits the crime of menacing if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.

(2)Menacing is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §95]

CD,

A little debate, no offense.

I don't find the 'potential' for me to buy carry/defense insurance as something I need because I 'might' (or not) defend a business, which is something I'm probably not going to do...

I'm not obligated to defend a business even if they 'request' my help.

That's their obligation.

ORS 163.190¹

Menacing

(1)A person commits the crime of menacing if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.

(2)Menacing is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §95]

Preaching to the choir, brother... back in the mid 90's the DA in PDX leveled that charge at me for beating up and breaking the back of a guy I caught RED HANDED on my property breaking into my house. I was arrested and booked into the downtown (in)justice center... the judge later dismissed the case. ;)

if the shopkeeper requests assistance in either stopping the looter, or stopping an armed robber ...

One of these is a clear SD case (imminent fear of death or great bodily harm by a person with means and opportunity) and one is defending property which is heavily frowned upon in most states (TX may be an exception but I haven't paid much attention because I don't live there).

Rrrrright....
Many, have pointed out the reason why the statute needs to be re-written to include the legal use of lethal/deadly force in the defense of property. Currently.....it's obviously missing.

Use_of_Deadly_Force.jpg

But this is only my opinion.

Aloha, Mark

All those reports of roaming antifa busses headed to more rural/republican areas seem a little suspect,
Maybe not Antifa, but protesters ARE bussed to areas lacking the appropriate amount of woke-ness.

The 100 or so I saw in Hermiston last Saturday parked their merry convoy (including a bus) in the Walmart parking lot while they chanted, yelled, and waved signs.

Since they behaved themselves and left no discernible spoor behind I concluded that they were NOT Antifa. Don't know where they spawned from, probably Tri-Cities (the bus was devoid of telltale markings)

They were also not disturbed, threatened, or abused in any way by the locals, cops or citizens.
The lesson seems to be:
Don't start nuthin',
won't BE nuthin'.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR