JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe I posted this exact thing earlier in the thread...

I sold a handgun to a Washington resident and I am an Oregon resident. I drove and hand delivered the handgun to an FFL in Washington for the Wa resident to pick up later. Of course, I'm no dummy and I already had the cash (cleared check) in hand.

I also sold a rifle to a Washington resident. This, being a long arm, was transferred to the new owner at an FFL in Oregon.

I did see your earlier post and read it (thanks for posting that), but being the ultra cautious guy I am when it comes to these matters, I wanted to ask again to be really sure. No firearm is worth a federal offense.

Im not in the buisness of throwing people under the bus publicly. If there is an individual here that wants to go speak with them privately then I will share that info...send me a conversation if you are going to go up there

IMHO it's not throwing people under the bus if they are encouraging people to commit a felony. At the very least the moderators should be informed as to who it is so that they can talk with them (ffl) personally and make sure this wasn't a simple misunderstanding. If there is a business owner out there that has an employee giving out false information without their knowledge, it's needs to be remedied ASAP! Not only for the the good of the public, but the good of our hobby and the good of their business standing.

IMHO it's not throwing people under the bus if they are encouraging people to commit a felony. At the very least the moderators should be informed as to who it is so that they can talk with them (ffl) personally and make sure this wasn't a simple misunderstanding. If there is a business owner out there that has an employee giving out false information without their knowledge, it's needs to be remedied ASAP! Not only for the the good of the public, but the good of our hobby and the good of their business standing.

I'd wager that if you called 20 FFL's in Vancouver and 20 in Portland, you will be about even on your responses as far as what's legal.

It's not our job to regulate the FFL's on the border.

I'd rather spend an unnecessary $20-35 dollars for the FFL transfer to cover my butt, than take anyone's word for it. Just call the local ATF and they will let you know. I did that last time I bought from someone out of state and they were happy to keep me from screwing up.

I'd wager that if you called 20 FFL's in Vancouver and 20 in Portland, you will be about even on your responses as far as what's legal.

It's not our job to regulate the FFL's on the border.

Yes and no. I guess it depends on where your morals lay and what you ultimately think will benefit shooting sports.

As a range officer that deals with new shooters all the time, I do feel a responsibility to help new shooters get correct information. Turning a blind eye to this incident is not the right thing to do and it's not something for all of us to be divided over. I wasn't there, I can't make the call. However the original poster of this thread should contact the business and speak with the FFL holder and let them know about their experience.

Right now, more than ever we need to stand together. Big Government feeds off of stuff like this and we don't need to provide them with any more ammunition. There is something here in Washington going before voters in a couple of months called I-594. Bloomberg would have a feeding frenzy with a news report like this and use it to twist the facts even more than what we are seeing already.

United we conquer. Divided we fall.

As a local dealer here in Vancouver I get this question every week and I tell everyone the same thing. ALL transfers across state lines (at least dealing with WA & OR) require an FFL. I tell people that because that's what the ATF told me when I asked. Im sure you can find another dealer who might say otherwise but not me. A few bucks or someone's misinterpretation of the law isn't worth the potential felony charges... in my opinion.

"ALL transfers" is a slightly different set of circumstances. There are exceptions.

You don't need to involve an FFL if the transfer is an inheritance and you take personal possession of the firearm (i.e., take possession of it in person, not ship it).

Sorry I should have been more specific, when I said "all transfers". I was referring to the sale of the firearm. I wouldn't think that going in person to pick up your personal firearms (inheritance) would even be considered a transfer. But then again I don't deal with that scenario so I couldn't say for sure. I deal with across state line sales. Hopefully that clarifies. I could break it down more but I think people get my point :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top