JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm stealing this idea from orygun.
In a different thread he suggested a thread should be started on WWI & WWII rifles.
So...
Please feel free to post pictures of WWI & WWII rifles and related accoutrements.
( Web gear and leather , bayonets etc...)
Heck even period pictures of your relatives with the firearms they were issued would be neat to see.

Post 'em if you got 'em!
Andy

DSC06339.jpg
DSC06340.jpg
DSC06345.jpg

So here is my '43 dated Remington 03A3.
It is a excellent shooting rifle and is great shape.
Many of the cartouches are deeply struck and still visible.
( Cartouches not shown are the many Remington inspectors stamps just ahead of the trigger guard )
It was re-worked after the war at Ogden.

My granddad was a Airborne Grenadier in the 11th Airborne during WWII and he carried a 03 and 03A3 at various times.
I have a photo of him with a 03A3 like this one .... Its kinda neat having a rifle around like he carried.
Andy

I saw a guy at the last CMP match I was at shooting a Springfield 03a1. He worked that bolt fast for rapid fire. Fun to watch. I want one. I have a vintage 1918 Model of 1911 pistol that is hellish accurate but no rifle from that era anymore. I must rectify that oversight.

Yep Huck ... you do need a rifle to match your 1911.
I have found that working the bolt from my shoulder and "allowing" the rifle's recoil and a "shotgun shooting" stance , for offhand shooting , has given me speed ( without accuracy loss* ) in shooting my rifle.
So much so ... that I have heard some folks say: " I didn't know that the 03A3 was a Semi-Auto rifle." :D
Andy
* At close range.

In Normandy if you didn't know who was hiding in the next hedgerow, you'd fire a shot over their heads.

If you got mortar fire back they were Americans.

If you got machine gun fire they were Germans.

If you got massive accurate rifle fire back they were British getting up to 15 aimed shots a minute out of their bolt actions.

You can work a bolt very fast when trained up.

In WWI the first contact between Germans and British at Nimy bridge on the Mons canal, the Royal Fusilers engaged with rifles at 1000 yards with such rapid fire that the Germans reported the bridge was held by a machine gun battalion.

Bolt rifles are nothing to discount.

Yep Huck ... you do need a rifle to match your 1911.
I have found that working the bolt from my shoulder and "allowing" the rifle's recoil and a "shotgun shooting" stance , for offhand shooting , has given me speed ( without accuracy loss* ) in shooting my rifle.
So much so ... that I have heard some folks say: " I didn't know that the 03A3 was a Semi-Auto rifle." :D
Andy
* At close range.

Except for the US 1917 Enfield. "Cock on Close" 1917 design pushes the rifle off the shoulder
in rapid fire.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I saw a guy at the last CMP match I was at shooting a Springfield 03a1. He worked that bolt fast for rapid fire. Fun to watch. I want one. I have a vintage 1918 Model of 1911 pistol that is hellish accurate but no rifle from that era anymore. I must rectify that oversight.
Was this at DRRC last weekend? One guy was shooting a 03 with a 'C' stock.
Nice rifle. I was on relay one far right end.

I should try to get some better pictures at the range this weekend...

Last year, I finally got around to filling out a CMP order form for an M1 Garand. The idea of obtaining one of these is what got me into firearms several years ago (my wallet wishes I hadn't).

The receiver is dated January of 1942, if I recall correctly. Still makes a hell of a bang today, and it's one of my favorites in my collection.

IMG_20170511_205056957.jpg

I once owned a Remmie 03-a3 and as I recall it was a '43 also, later in 1943 based on the grey-green parkerising. They must have churned out a million of them altho by then Garand production must have been ramped up. Mine was in good shape and accurate in these Colorado mountains, shoulda kept it but... <sigh>... Probably woulda if it had been a Springfield.
Seem to recall that the Springers were used mainly in the pacific(?) by the Marines, until there were enuff Garands and carbines to go around. My Dad was an MP in the N. African theatre and later a POW camp guard, and his weapons were a Springer or a pump 12 gauge.

The M-1 carbine prices have skyrocketed in the last few years.
I see them going for more then Garands.:confused: We had a WW 2 veteran
that used to run the 'Old Soldier's Match' at my club. He was in the
south pacific in WW 2. He use to refer to the M1 Carbine as the
"idiot stick".:eek: Issued to officers, truck drivers,cooks and rear support
personnel. Crusty old guy with few teeth. Everyone called him
Sarge but I think his real name was Jack. :rolleyes:
National Postal Meter
P1000052.JPG

Last Edited:
I saw a guy at a range while shooting with a friend with the biggest WW guns collection I have ever seen. Too many to list but here's a few. Beretta Modela (.32 ACP), Colt M11911A1 (.45), Enfield No.2 (.38), a Nagant M1895, not one but 3 M1 Garands, 3 Mosin Nagants, 1 Mauser, and the list goes on. Easily $200,000 in the collection.

Here are some photos my Grand Dad took during WW-II. He was part of a new Heavy Tank Battalion fielding the "New" M-26 against the German Tanks which had been causing so much trouble to Allied armor. His Squadron put ashore in France two weeks ahead of the Battle of the Bulge, and it was absolute hell from almost the first 5 miles inland. Photo #1 shows pre deployment readiness inspection, #2 shows them unloading from the LST in France, and #3 river crossing which He said was quite a challenge for the new tank as the bridging equipment wasn't really up to the weight of an all up combat over loaded heavy tank!
id_m26_ftlewis_700.jpg
US-tanks-korea.jpg
08788.jpg
Gramps always loved talking about his tank and crew, and fondly told about the shock and surprise of the Germans meeting up with this new tank with decent armor and one hell of a gun in the new 90 mm high velocity firing dual purpose Armor Piercing high explosive shells at a range even further then the dreaded 88's that the Germans had been using to great effect! Gramps ended the war on the autobahn en rout to the Austrian German border, and was ordered to stand down, The War had ended!!!

A bit more obscure but I have this model 1907 .351 Winchester self loader. WW1 era guns were bought by the French and Russians I've read, and even used in early aircraft warefare along with the 1910 in .401 caliber. Mine is a late model law enforcement style (hardly used and well taken care of I shoot the heck out of it). My step dad has a 1910 from 1918 that still works but it's pretty rough. Almost "handy" like the .30 M1 Carbine but super heavy. At the range the fun factor with this gun is off the chart as long as you can lift it:p. Still looking for a real M1 carbine (I have a post war Plainfield) and maybe a Garand someday. My step dad also has an enfield I should borrow someday. So many potential projects and no retirement in sight:(.

20160303_194336-1.jpg

Except for the US 1917 Enfield. "Cock on Close" 1917 design pushes the rifle off the shoulder
in rapid fire.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Cock on close is actually a faster action though, once you get used to it.
Before the terrible boating accident, I had a pretty good WWI/WWII rifle collection going.
M1917 Enfield, M1903A3, M1 carbine, M1 Garland
K98 Mauser and an Arisaka that was unfortunately sporterized and converted to 30.06. Great for shooting, not history. Safety is interesting though.
Don't like Mosins. Always wanted a m1928 for the collection but this state..... Even Came across a M3 "grease gun" that was a bring back at a private estate sale. Unfortunately it was never registered pre 1986 and didn't want to roll those dice.
I'll see if I can find pics and post.

Do you remember when that truck was scheduled to come to your house? You figured it would be worth it, to stay at home and wait for the delivery. It was like Christmas Day for big kids, even though it was nowhere close to December 25th. The truck arrived, you took the package inside and your palms got sweaty in anticipation of opening that package.....

M1Winchester001-1.jpg

M1Winchester003-1.jpg

M1Winchester008.jpg

M1Winchester004.jpg

M1Winchester017.jpg

M1Winchester005.jpg

M1Winchester014.jpg

M1Winchester011.jpg

M1Winchester010.jpg

M1Winchester012.jpg

M1Winchester013.jpg

Aloha, Mark