JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is what I have my experienced. I have fired, side by side, the following firearms, unsuppressed, with the same ammo. I've list them from loudest to quietest:
1. Sig Mosquito pistol
2. Ruger 10/22 repeater
3. Win 69A bolt, 25" bbl (borrowed from a friend)

Like explained above, the bolt is quieter for two reasons. The second one, I don't think has been listed, is the barrel is longer on the 69A than the repeaters. You can Google it up, but the reason is gases completely burn, expand and cool down in very long barrels before the bullet exits. The 69A almost as quiet as my suppresses 10/22. You probably have proven the opposite to be true. Remember how low your shorter bbl rifles are compared to your 20-28" long bbls, with the same ammo?

The only way to truly determine an outcome is to run a sound study. We've run sound studies at our Academy in order to document for keeping the neighbors happy. I have access to a db meter for sound studies. Each firearm and ammo combo is going to preform differently. So if a firearm is the only solution then I'd buy a variety of .22 ammo and test drive it with various handguns and rifles at your disposal. I'd borrow a db meter and test for yourself in an environment similar to your dad's location to replicate identical or simulated identical results. You'll know based upon empirical evidence and not opinion what works/doesn't work. The meter is not biased.

Regarding the air rifle. I wouldn't underestimate its ability to shoot smaller critters (in .22 cal) and if in an urban area it will sound like other local ambient sounds/noises. A firearm irregardless of how quiet, unless supressed, will still sound like a firearm...only softer or louder. People know what gun shots sound like and will be calling LEO to investigate or complain.

At our Academy we have over the years conducted opinion based sound studies while our Staff Attorney is conducting his 2.5 hour legal lecture and we have a classroom full of students. We've asked the students after the lecture is over if they could hear gun shots. Without going into great detail the students had absolutely no idea anyone was shooting when we shot air rifles. Even multiple air rifles with and without the doors/windows open was completely undetected.

A .22 surpressed handgun was almost as quiet. A .223 surpressed was noticable but not disturbing to the students. Unsuppressed firearms are noticed and mentioned immedately including some students to "jump" when they hear the first shot even after being warn shooting will occur. These are obvously "gun people" who attend our courses! I can only imagine what non-gun people would say.

Also regardless of the sound level/noise, environment plays a significant role in percieved "loud or quiet" determinations. Some environments will actually make a soft noise sound loud and conversely the other way around. It is impossible for any of us to tell you want cartridge/gun combo will work. Water will only amplify the sound transmission so a quiet .22 CB may travel further than a .22 LR would at a different location. You've got to conduct a study on your own.

FWIW...

I'm surprised how many people chimed in on this. Thanks!

Sounds like the consensus is that subsonic ammo will be quieter out of a rifle than pistol in terms of decibel level most of the time, but that the specific combo of ammo, gun, and site conditions may make a significant difference. Hopefully my dad can find a few airguns to borrow and test as well at the range.

I don't think neighbors will be too much of an issue. When I was little we used to shoot our daisy repeaters at soda cans with the neighbors' kids. More just an issue of courtesy I think, and not wanting to call more attention than is necessary.

Sounds like people are thinking that giving time for all powder to burn and gases to cool as much as possible make for quieter shooting. It is this science/technical angle that I was wondering about quite a bit. Physics of sound, etc. Very interesting stuff.

I just put a 28" sporter profile Green Mountain barrel on my 10-22. Quieted it right down with Remington Subsonics. It sounds like a hand clap or a hammer blow now. These barrels were a limited run item but they can be found at the Rimfire Central forum, I got mine by posting a WTB ad there.

I agree that a bolt or pump would be a bit quieter than a semi. I manually held the bolt shut a few times and it was quieter. Not enough for me to switch guns though.

I think that the extra barrel friction slowed the bullets some because the Rem Subs don't expand as much as before. I'm going to try Aquila and Eley Subsonics in it, I've read that they are a bit softer than the Rems.

Where is Aquila 22lr ammo found in the Portland area?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top