JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was able to acquire some 124 grain hollow points and my plan is to build a load to be as close as possible to my defense loads which are 124 grain Gold dots
Both projectiles have a similar profile.
My plan is to reproduce the same OAL and velocity.
Powders available are
Tight group
Red dot đź”´
And W231

I would appreciate any suggestions or input on other variables to consider.
Thank you.

So with a bulet that is a close match, what you need is a powder load that gives you as close to the same speed as the factory load gives.
Do you have or can you borrow a Chronograph? If so Chrono a couple of factory loads for a base line, and go from there. DR

PS relying on factory data or book data will only get you so close. DR

This kind of task is one that I take my loader with me to the range. Prep up some brass, prime them, and take bullets and powders along.
Load three to get an average reading, shoot them and make adjustments from there!
If you get to the high end of a powders data and are not getting the velocity you need switch to a slower burning powder. Good Luck, DR

So with a bulet that is a close match, what you need is a powder load that gives you as close to the same speed as the factory load gives.
Do you have or can you borrow a Chronograph? If so Chrono a couple of factory loads for a base line, and go from there. DR

PS relying on factory data or book data will only get you so close. DR
I have a chrono.I will find the average speed and use that as my target.

I've loaded about 30K over the last three years.
All 9mm
So more than some. But still have much to learn.
Thanks, I feel much better about any suggestions because 30,000 rnd means you know what you are doing.

Win 231 is my favorite powder for non magnum loads. When I see it as one of your choices I feel confident in recomending it.

What machine are you reloading with and do you case Guage your reloaded rounds?

I've loaded about 30K over the last three years.
All 9mm
So more than some. But still have much to learn.
Sounds like you are prepared for any variables in the powders you've chosen.

Post your results as I'd be interested. I have a bunch of tight group and red dot itching to be put to use too.

đź‘Ť

Thanks, I feel much better about any suggestions because 30,000 rnd means you know what you are doing.

Win 231 is my favorite powder for non magnum loads. When I see it as one of your choices I feel confident in recomending it.

What machine are you reloading with and do you case Guage your reloaded rounds?
Using a Hornady LNL
I use my barrel to drop test each round.

What brand are those 124 grain hollow points?
I doubt very much they'll match 124 grain Gold dots in performance no matter the velocity.
You should find the velocity where those particular bullets perform the best and then load them thusly.

Good equipment so it looks like you will be fine. My book says 4.5 is max load of 231.

Which firearm will you be
I doubt very much they'll match 124 grain Gold dots in performance no matter the velocity.
You should find the velocity where those particular bullets perform the best and then load them thusly.
RMR multi purpose round.
Good thought, I'll see if they have any suggested velocity
Thanks

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top