JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to live in Union County (escaped Oregone in April of this year) and saw the big game numbers start declining in '94 when hunting cougars with dogs was outlawed. Another apex predator is/was most certainly not needed! Just wait 'till the grizzlies are 're-introduced'!
Can't say I'm sorry to see the wolves gone, but what a crappy way to go.
If you have to kill something, make it clean and quick.

The fact is that the "reintroduced" Canadian gray wolf is 50% larger than the native wolf, and evolved to hunt bison and moose, not elk and deer. But the narrative is so pervasive that it's difficult to find any actual facts that aren't propaganda generated by the enviro-whackos.
It's funny. The first time I saw a wolf over in the Imnaha unit while hunting elk, my reaction was much like if I had spotted a kangaroo. I wasn't in awe. He looked kinda goofy and way out of his element. It probably didn't help that it was about 80 degrees that day. A year later, about 250 yards from the same spot, I called an elk in and there was a huge cougar hot on it's trail. The big cat got to within 42 yards of me. I had a cougar tag, but no clear shot with my bow. Now THAT was an impressive animal. Gave me goose bumps for sure. (Never got a shot at the elk either.)

Well it's funny.... all these efforts to manage CWD, and not one talks about introducing more predators:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/diseases/cwd/plan.phtml

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cwd-management-bill-introduced-in-congress/ar-AAPSiNO

http://extension.msstate.edu/news/feature-story/2021/deer-management-must-change-battle-cwd

Wolves as part of a management strategy for CWD seems to depend on where you stand on wolves. (I see a lot of propaganda pushing this as a strategy in NE OR and SE WA). But some experts are saying that wolves actually spread CWD: https://www.outdoorsfirst.com/whitetail/listen-to-the-experts-wolves-spread-chronic-wasting-disease/

Anybody remember Brucellosis? We didn't bring in wolves to decimate elk and cattle to battle it. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_diseases/brucellosis/downloads/bruc-facts.pdf

I don't remember anybody talking about the introduction of wolves being about herd health until after the fact. But I do remember a bunch of starry eyed sycophants saying how wonderful it would be because they belong here.

It's funny. The first time I saw a wolf over in the Imnaha unit while hunting elk, my reaction was much like if I had spotted a kangaroo. I wasn't in awe. He looked kinda goofy and way out of his element. It probably didn't help that it was about 80 degrees that day. A year later, about 250 yards from the same spot, I called an elk in and there was a huge cougar hot on it's trail. The big cat got to within 42 yards of me. I had a cougar tag, but no clear shot with my bow. Now THAT was an impressive animal. Gave me goose bumps for sure. (Never got a shot at the elk either.)
What's the story with the reservoir near Lowell? It looks to be at the lowest level I seen in 13 plus years of driving past it.

What's the story with the reservoir near Lowell? It looks to be at the lowest level I seen in 13 plus years of driving past it.
The one closest is Dexter Reservoir. I don't think it is low. The next one up is Lookout Point. I've seen it drawn down to pretty low levels throughout the 30 years I've lived out here. I've been past it on my way to Oakridge several times in the past few weeks and haven't noticed anything extraordinary. Maybe with all of the snow anticipated (and arriving) in the mountains they are drawing it down to make room for runoff.

Long winded way of saying "I don't really know." :D

Also close to Lowell is Fall Creek Reservoir. I can see the dam out my living room window. But I can't see the water.

The one closest is Dexter Reservoir. I don't think it is low. The next one up is Lookout Point. I've seen it drawn down to pretty low levels throughout the 30 years I've lived out here. I've been past it on my way to Oakridge several times in the past few weeks and haven't noticed anything extraordinary. Maybe with all of the snow anticipated (and arriving) in the mountains they are drawing it down to make room for runoff.

Long winded way of saying "I don't really know." :D

Also close to Lowell is Fall Creek Reservoir. I can see the dam out my living room window. But I can't see the water.
It was the lookout point one that looked exceptionally low to me.

Them's fightin' words!!
I am glad you're in Montana then, don't look me up if you ever make it to Oregon:)

BTW watch out because Ronald escaped and is on the loose out your way.

ronald-chained-up-big-sky-1633650812710.jpg

that "whole narrative" is ... science. not into it, eh? indeed, fat old dudes drinking at the local legion after a day of unsucessful truck hunting are surely are much better source of data.
So never mind the studies and articles I cited directly refuting your opinions. Never mind my and my extended family's experience with raising cattle, predator control, and hunting deer and elk in eastern Oregon since 1870. Never mind that I have been a logger, a farmer/rancher, a professional guide, and an outdoor sports business owner, or that I am college educated (where I wrote research papers) and attended law school. Because you have no argument you resort to name calling and straw man building. Classy.

The family owned ranches I hunt border on the Warm Springs Reservation near Maupin. Ten to fifteen years ago the game trails on those ranches looked like deer super-highways. I could high grade the buck I wanted on opening day, because I would see a dozen legal bucks before noon. Today, with the establishment of a wolf pack on the reservation about 5 years ago, and with sightings starting to occur commonly about 3 years ago, the trails are deserted, and I'm lucky to see a buck on any given day.

Cattle are being attacked and killed, or so seriously injured they have to be put down. Calves are aborted, and market weights and grading are reduced due to constant wolf harassment. And yet, the people you want us to listen to tell us that we simply need to understand the wolves and offer them more attractive alternatives. We simply have to put up colorful flags to wave in the breeze and all will be well. We simply have to supervise our livestock more intensely and even "bring them in at night". This nonsense is perpetuated by an ignorant public who listens to, and naively believes people with a PhD and a month or two of practical experience, who know everything there is to know about wolves, game herds, and livestock that can be learned in a few months out of a book, who left their ivory towers, donned their safari jackets and floppy hats, and walked around for a few days counting magpies before arriving at their scholarly conclusions about the "noble", "environmentally beneficial" wolf. Yeah, right.

There's honest discourse where people can disagree and still respect each other. Then there is this conversation. This forum has a feature called an "Ignore" button for just such conversations.

I saw my first wolf near Maupin 3 years ago near the corner of Kelly Cut-off Road and Hwy 216.

Not that it is an indication of anything specific or 'changing' but I saw more deer this summer than in many years past.

It was also the hottest summer on record and the deer might have been on the lookout for shade and water - of which I have on my property. I had many come and go all summer and sometimes up to 10 hanging out all day laying in the shade.

I saw my first wolf near Maupin 3 years ago near the corner of Kelly Cut-off Road and Hwy 216.
Excellent reply Zeke. The long one. I'm going to grab some popcorn. Wondering what will spew forth in a response. IF, there's a response. ;)

Last Edited:
Heck I had a friend once tell me he was camping with a group of people in the late 80's on the South side of Wickiup res and needed to run to LaPine. THis required taking FS road 44 around the lake to get to Lapine and he told me on his return trip (back on the 44 road) i was just getting dusk and he saw a 'large' wolflike animal run across the road. He said it was NOT a coyote as it was much bigger, and he said it was not a dog and firmly believed it was a wolf.

There have been other similar stories in the years before the 'reintroductions' and some believe not all were killed off by 1949 and may have survived in small groups, hiding deeply in the woods.

Not that it is an indication of anything specific or 'changing' but I saw more deer this summer than in many years past.

It was also the hottest summer on record and the deer might have been on the lookout for shade and water - of which I have on my property. I had many come and go all summer and sometimes up to 10 hanging out all day laying in the shade.
My buddy and I have noticed more deer this year as well. We generally have about a dozen game cameras in the Willamette National Forest. There were more deer than normal on our cameras, a few less cougars (surprisingly) and more wolves and bears. The elk have been in steady decline for the past ten years, to the point where the population is now pitiful. Now that the eastern bow tags are almost all draw units, I'm wondering if it will even be worth purchasing a general bow elk tag.

Also, my wife and I have lived in the same house for the past 30 years. We have seen more deer in our yard in 2021 than any other year.

Excellent reply Zeke. The long one. I'm going to grab some popcorn. Wondering what will spew forth in a response. IF, there's a response. ;)
LOL. Mike, I think you quoted the wrong Zeke post. My response was simply giving him a "thumbs up".

He's probably got the other guy on IGNORE by now.

I'm wondering if it will even be worth purchasing a general bow elk tag.
Is there any more general bow elk hunt areas in E. OR?

They changed the last general 'rifle' hunt to draw just a couple years ago. That was the High Cascade Elk Hunt and I live within one of the units. A friend killed a three pointer not far from me a few years back.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top