JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
it looks like everything was uploaded correctly. try refreshing the page

I can't see vids here on NWFA at all. I have to hit "reply" and copy the vid ID to youtube and go from there. Youtube said it could not find it.

It could be because you have it set to be private?

I don't know. Usually copying the reference to youtube works for me - this is the first time it has said it could not find it.

I can't see vids here on NWFA at all. I have to hit "reply" and copy the vid ID to youtube and go from there. Youtube said it could not find it.

It could be because you have it set to be private?

I don't know. Usually copying the reference to youtube works for me - this is the first time it has said it could not find it.
hmm, its listed as public. Anyway here is a screenshot of some raccoons from the video. I have the quality reduced to save space on the server. But it gives you an idea of the night vision. not as good as the daytime quality but reasonable

Windows Media Player_2016-10-09_10-22-28.png

Here is some kid that my stepdaughter snuck in the house in the middle of the night when she lived here. he thought he was being clever walking around to the back door. She was reminded that guys sneaking in the house in the middle of the night might get shot.

Windows Media Player_2016-10-09_10-25-36.png

The company I work for does high-end commercial camera installations. We cringe every time someone asks to do wireless cameras. We have installed some high-end wireless systems over the years and have yet to do an installation that was acceptable to the customer. Invariably connection issues creep in to every single situation - and those issues increase the further the transmission distance. There are a lot of factors that can creep into that type of wireless install, and with the amount of data flowing on a high-res camera, a hard wired installation is always the best option.

If you can get power/POE to the camera locations, you can simply use CAT (5e or 6) cable to carry both power and signal using an IP camera. You just need to be sure you're using direct-burial rated cable, even if you're putting it in conduit, etc. - moisture will get in. From my experience, if you can get a cable to those cameras for power, use cable for the video and control (if you do PTZ cameras, for example).

I can get power and yes ethernet to the cam from the shop.

Having that vid in the shop does me no good when I am in the house.

Getting the vid from the shop to the house is a problem. Getting the vid from multiple cams straight to the house via cabling would be expensive and even harder.

I have thought about this a while (as in over a year). It isn't easy to run any kind of cable from the shop to the house due to the driveway, the existing power/water/septic lines, and various other landscaping feature. Indeed, it would be a major headache.

Then there is the fact that I still have a lot of landscaping I need/want to do in these areas.

I am not ignorant of the issues with WiFi or any other kind of wireless system; I have a EE degree, my general RTL (with RADAR endorsement) and ham licenses, and spent my first 3 years out of college setting up and performance testing a meteor burst WAN system for the DOD. I currently have a long distance WiFi system providing me with the blazing speed ;) of 3.5 mbps for internet because DSL here on the mountain only gives me 1.5 mbps.

I intend to start with one cam, work out the wireless issues and then expand from there.

Do you currently have a wireless network connection between your house and your shop?

If you place a network DVR/NVR at your shop, you could access the DVR/NVR over your local network - just let the video be gathered/recorded at your shop and use wireless Ethernet to access the DVR/NVR, which could also be done with a smart phone. Honestly, that would be more reliable than several wireless cameras over a longer distance.

Do you currently have a wireless network connection between your house and your shop?

If you place a network DVR/NVR at your shop, you could access the DVR/NVR over your local network - just let the video be gathered/recorded at your shop and use wireless Ethernet to access the DVR/NVR, which could also be done with a smart phone. Honestly, that would be more reliable than several wireless cameras over a longer distance.
That is what I was thinking, I just didn't know how to explain it o_O

I think you have the right idea. Get one wireless cam and play with it. That is what I did at home.

The above two are right. If you have several remote from the house that could be wired to a DVR, that is a great way to set them up. Then just remotely access that DVR. I have a couple shops set up just like that :)

I don't have Wifi there, but I intend to and would as part of this setup.

Either way, that is a fairly good idea. The equipment could be put in an inconspicuous cabinet with a battery backup and even a solar panel on the shop roof (the shop gets sun in the afternoon) as a backup.

Thanks. That is part of why I ask questions; sometimes a having someone look at something from a different perspective is enough to tweak the solution to improve it.

I don't have Wifi there, but I intend to and would as part of this setup.

Either way, that is a fairly good idea. The equipment could be put in an inconspicuous cabinet with a battery backup and even a solar panel on the shop roof (the shop gets sun in the afternoon) as a backup.

Thanks. That is part of why I ask questions; sometimes a having someone look at something from a different perspective is enough to tweak the solution to improve it.

Glad to help. If you need to look at products, we have had good luck using Everfocus DVR/NVR products with our customers. They have good prices, many different options (from economy to expensive) and have the ability to access them remotely via internet connection or iPhone application (I think they have an app for Android too).

In a case where we just can't get cable in, we use a Ruckus ZoneFlex P300 Point to Point Bridge. Depending on trees/terrain and what not. They are powerful, reliable, and not cheap. Probably cost you $2000 and well worth it. Anything else isn't worth the time. That will get you internet & LAN to your shop and allow you to view the cameras from the house. Wireless cameras won't serve you well. Then you can use any good brand of IP camera and DVR.

I have Arlo wireless security cameras around our house and garage.
So far I like them. Been just under a year since the install.
I've relocated them a couple times to get the best view.
Good image clarity and color saturation. 4xCR123 batteries last about 6 months. Night vision is black and white of course but the IR LED's light up everything within about 50 feet of the camera.
I set them to alert me of activity by email during work hours and by text at night.
No audio but good picture quality.

Hate to throw a wrench into this but I need to set things up for an off grid homestead. My advantage is I'm building our home and can pre-wire a system. Wish I could set up a 12v system. But will have AC available through power storage. No WiFi and would prefer private onsite recording.

Anyone know of an appropriate system for my needs?

Hate to throw a wrench into this but I need to set things up for an off grid homestead. My advantage is I'm building our home and can pre-wire a system. Wish I could set up a 12v system. But will have AC available through power storage. No WiFi and would prefer private onsite recording.

Anyone know of an appropriate system for my needs?

IMG_1776.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads