JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a question for you tactical ex-police types... Are commercial off the self "door barricades" capable of slowing down the hand held battering rams customarily used in No knock warrants? I keep hearing about badly executed No knock warrants that end in tragedy, and am looking for a door hardening device that would slow down a breaching team long enough for a armed home owner to realize that the police are breaking down his door in a case of mistaken identity (or address) and not someone intent on causing you harm. Any ideas?

Faulty no-knocks are relatively rare, I'd be more concerned with thugs or house-breakers kicking in my doors for a smash 'n grab robbery.

The best solution is to install doors that open outwards like they do in commercial buildings.

The vast majority of residential doors open inwards, and there's some techniques to harden them up. The easiest place to start is use longer screws that will actually screw into the structural framing of the house instead of just the door casing to mount the striker plate for the door latch and dead-bolt. I've done this as well as the door hinges.

There's also metal reinforcement kits available at Lowe's and Home Depot. Do a search for door reinforcement, and you'll find a plethora of awesome options.

in my experience, the effectiveness of a hand held battering ram has a lot to do with the technique of the operator.

most stuff you can do for low cost is effective in slowing down a dynamic entry and giving you "some" time to react.

in my experience, the effectiveness of a hand held battering ram has a lot to do with the technique of the operator.

most stuff you can do for low cost is effective in slowing down a dynamic entry and giving you "some" time to react.

Agreed, also a shotgun (aka "master key") will destroy just about anything you'll find in a residential structure, even a solid slab door.

I was going to mention the shotgun, but I have no LEO experience and just don't understand their ROE when it comes to less lethal devices and failure to gain entry and when they can go kinetic.

No knock warrants are very hard to obtain. The articulatable facts have to be that much more precise to convince the judge.

That being said, most doors made for home use are fairly overall flimsy, as Stomper pointed out, the mounting hardware is usually subpar and rarely goes into the structure of the house...just the frame itself is attached to the structure.

I use heavy deck screws, about 3-4". Start with the latch plates, both knob and deadbolt, then replace the hinge screws as well.

If you're replacing a door, use steel plates on either side of the frame studs, and bolt them in, then bolt both the door and latch plates.

If upgrading your existing door, get one of the kits mentioned.

Then add hardened locks, both deadbolt and door knob. Make sure the deadbolt is the extended type, that will go into the framework of the house. Most just contact the doir frame only.

Short of the above, there isn't much a lock-breaker round won't destroy with 2-3 shots...if needed.

Faulty no-knocks are relatively rare, I'd be more concerned with thugs or house-breakers kicking in my doors for a smash 'n grab robbery.

The best solution is to install doors that open outwards like they do in commercial buildings.

The vast majority of residential doors open inwards, and there's some techniques to harden them up. The easiest place to start is use longer screws that will actually screw into the structural framing of the house instead of just the door casing to mount the striker plate for the door latch and dead-bolt. I've done this as well as the door hinges.

There's also metal reinforcement kits available at Lowe's and Home Depot. Do a search for door reinforcement, and you'll find a plethora of awesome options.

This absolutely this! I sell doors for a living and the most common mistake is the door is just not installed properly. Most home owners have no clue and trust the contractors to do it right and they don't. o_O

Before you spend money, replacing the screws in your door latch with 3-4 inch screws that get into the studs and not just the door jam. You'd be surprised at the massive improvement it provides.

Yep but they aren't cheap and for the cost a guy could do other security measures and go buy a new rifle or pistol! :p:D
You can actually have them fabricated for allot less then you might think, buying commercial doors are pricey but steel fabricators can make them allot less.

I'm curious how a "lock breaker round" is different... They don't just use standard slugs, buck, whatever?
Magnesium powder....you can buy em from Gucci Fiocci $49.99 10 rds.
2009-10 DOD DUMPED A TON ON MARKET $6 FOR 5RDS...FUN
ITS THE FB THROUGH WINDOW THAT GETS YA...DOOR IS BREACHED BEFORE YA CAN GET BRITCHES

If I get No-Nocked, I am just going assume I posted "lock her up" too many times and am being taken to a re-education camp. Going down in a pile of brass.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top