JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
how are the cz 1911 clones for durability? do they hold up in the long term?

As has been stated, the CZ's aren't 1911 clones and are improved derivatives of the Hi Power (but not clones by any means). There are a number of CZ clones imported Stateside as EAA Witnesses and Jericho Baby Eagles.

CZ's seem to have a pretty stellar rep, while its clones have a somewhat questionable quality control policy - might get a perfectly fine gun, might not. Similar to Taurus in that regard.

A 3" SP101 would be worth considering. It'll use that .38 brass that you have, is simple to use, and has a good punch with .357 rounds. The weight of the all-steel SP101 plus the slightly longer 3" barrel should help tame .357 rounds if you want to shoot them. A 3" S&W Model 60 would be another good choice (although, I think they are more expensive)

Glock is another possible choice - choose your caliber & size. I've carried a G19 around backpacking & it's held-up well. Pretty straight-forward & reliable to use.

Personally, unless I really thought I was in bear country, I wouldn't drag a .44Mag revolver around with me.

You might also check-out the <broken link removed> holsters - a little more discreet & protects your firearm.

CZ's seem to have a pretty stellar rep, while its clones have a somewhat questionable quality control policy - might get a perfectly fine gun, might not. Similar to Taurus in that regard.

I did some research into my EAA witness before I purchased it, and I have to say I absolutely love the gun. Then again its an older model and the box says tangfolio on it instead of witness. Tigard gun broker seems to have them on special for around $300 a lot which I feel is a good deal.

Also for the record I never said CZ's where 1911 clones. I said they had 1911 type styling, which I feel they do have.

Love these threads.Ask a question and get everybody's opinion on what is best,or should I say, what they carry
The best way to go is to GO RENT SOME GUNS and see what fits you best

Forget the brass you have.You can trade it or sell it and get what you need for the new gun.

A 38 is about minimal for what it sounds like you are using the gun for. 357 would be great for hiking and a GP100 in stainless is about as indestructible as a glock.
OK take out the "about" part.
Don't get me wrong,a nice 5 shot 38 snubby is better than nothing.And a 38 round will scare off most mammals.
A glock 21 in 10 mm is probably 1 of the best guns you could have with you for the woods.

Now you could use a thigh rig or you could use a regular belt rig on your shoulder strap of the back pack.The later would put the gun between chest and waist high. I'm not a big fan of carrying at the waist.This way when you take the pack off for a breather,the gun is next to you but not sticking you or falling out of the holster.

But first,go to a rental range and try some guns out.See what fits you best.

CZ isn't a 1911 clone. They are bassed on the browning high power design, browning designed the 1911. CZ 75 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia do some research CZs are great guns.

For the 3rd time though a ruger or smith & wesson .357 revolver is going to treat you well.

Just quoting.

CZs look nothing like a 1911,if you look at both guns side by side.
The slide rails are opposite of each other.

But the CZ is as good as any gun out there.Heavy,but very well made.

A 3" SP101 would be worth considering. It'll use that .38 brass that you have, is simple to use, and has a good punch with .357 rounds. The weight of the all-steel SP101 plus the slightly longer 3" barrel should help tame .357 rounds if you want to shoot them. A 3" S&W Model 60 would be another good choice (although, I think they are more expensive)

Glock is another possible choice - choose your caliber & size. I've carried a G19 around backpacking & it's held-up well. Pretty straight-forward & reliable to use.

Personally, unless I really thought I was in bear country, I wouldn't drag a .44Mag revolver around with me.

You might also check-out the <broken link removed> holsters - a little more discreet & protects your firearm.

thanks for the link, my biggest concern was how/where to carry the gun while hiking. i think i'll have to get one of those or something similar.

But first,go to a rental range and try some guns out.See what fits you best.

uh, didn't even know "rental ranges" existed, maybe because i'm several hours from larger cities...but you're right i should try some different things out to see what fits. i think my best bet will be asking what handguns my friends have and shooting a few rounds through them.

i have been in back country in the rain Forrest in wa were we go fishing, i carry a 357 mag and a shot gun, the biggest problems are cats not bears always keep an eye to your back with cats

Last Edited:
Whatever you carry, make certain you practice with it and it is reliable in all the conditions you might encounter. Don't use a thick lube on your gun and then expect no problems in the dead of winter.

In the woods I carry a revolver. It is usually a 357 or 44 special or mag, always in stainless. If I'm going to be out a while, I have basic cleaning capability (a bore snake and some lube) along with shot shells and my "normal" loads. I prefer a shoulder holster, but a hip holster is ok.

When in the urban jungle, it is a semi auto of varying calibers.

Again, the most important thing is that you hit what you aim at, and can do it quickly if need be. The better the gun fits, and, the more you train, the better off you will be.

I find the S&W 329PD to serve me well in a light weight .44 magnum. The 4" barrel is fine for carry and sight alignment. The light weight frame is not a problem to carry with other gear. I carry BB Heavy .44 Special in 5 cylinders and a 300 grain in the 6th. It is a comfort.

Another SP101 vote. I carry one (3"bbl) in a uncle mikes holster on my hip. I switched out the factory grip for a Hogue. I hated the factory grip. I'm looking to save some weight and have been looking at the 329 or G29 but only looking.

Glocks are reliable ..but only get one if it fits you. Grip angle never worked for me. I would suggest looking at a ruger gp100. Shoot both. 357 and. 38. They are reliable and accurate. Do not look at tuarus....horrible quality control. S&W makes exceptional firearms....but will not hold up to the same beating a ruger would. My 2 cents...hope it helps.

IF YOU HAVE ALOT OF 38 SPECIAL CASES, IT WOULD BE A VERY SMART IDEA TO GO WITH ANY 357 BECAUSE THEY SHOOT 38 AS WELL. THE GP 100 IS EXCELLANT, BUT MAYBE A BIT HEAVY FOR BACKPACKING OR IT MAY NOT DEPENDING ON YOUR SIZE. I PURCHASED A RUGER SP101 FOR MY DAUGHTER'S BACKPACING TRIPS IN MONTANA AND THAT WORKED JUST FINE. EITHER YOU CAN BUY HEAVY 357 LOADS UP TO 180 GRAINS OR USE HANDLOADS OR BUY SOME OF THE MEANEST 357 FROM BUFFALO BORE (SP?). SOME OF THE 357 POWER WILL BE OFFSET IN A 3" SP 101 (RUGER) BUT ADVANCED IN A 4" OR 6" GP 100 (6 SHOT). I HAVE A GP 100 AND IT IS GREAT FOR MY HIKING WITH A LIGHT WAIST PACK OR BACKPACK. THE SP 101 RUGER (5 SHOT)IS A GEM AND I DO NOT KNOW OF ANYTHING THAT WILL BEAT IT FOR SIZE AND DURABILITY.

IF YOU SWITCH TO SEMI-AUTO THEN FOLLOW THE ADVISE OF THE OTHER RESPONDERS. YOU SHOULD HAVE THOUSANDS OF 38'S OR ACCESS TO 38'S TO MAKE A RUGER 357 A MAJOR ADVANTAGE FOR YOU.

IF YOU GO SEMI AND DEPENDANT ON WHERE YOU ARE BACK PACKING ALMOST ANY .40 OR 10 MM WILL WORK. 9MM WORKS NICE AS WELL BUT BELOW THE LOWER 48 AND NOT IN REMOTE GRISSLEY COUNTRY. IF YOU GO THERE THEN CONSIDER A .44 MAG AS A MINIMUM. GOOD LUCK.

If you really want 1911 styling but lighter and more compact look at the CZ's and CZ clones. I have an Tangfolio Witness P (CZ clone) I love it light 15 rounds of 9mm I'm not big on glocks or the m&p, just dont feel right in my hand.

Consider finding a range and renting before you make a decision.

None of the steel framed CZs are going to be much lighter than a 1911. And no model of CZ is going to be lighter than a Glock 19. I love my CZ but I personally wouldn't want to carry it if I were doing a lot of hiking. I'd go with a Glock. Or whatever is lightest and most comfortable when loaded with the caliber of your choice.

Also, finding a CZ to rent locally isn't very likely. I've looked.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top