JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some books on situational awareness.

I have to go places for work that are less than ideal: Portland, Oakland, SoCal, and big cities across the country. Even though I'm armed most of the time, that is far from my best defense. Understanding what to look for, places and times to avoid, and when it's okay to say, "Nope, not going there," is what keeps us alive. Every good "gunfighting" school I have been to preaches that you win 100% of the fights you are not in. As others have noted, if the fight gets to contact distance, things have gone horribly wrong. Pepper spray is a good option and an intermediate range, non-lethal tool.

Journey safe

I consider the desire of young people--especially young men--to prove themselves by experiencing and overcoming physical danger a legitimate part of human biology. Instead of creating dangerous situations for no reason, consider doing it for real. Volunteer for the military and put that drive to use on behalf of your country. Or join law enforcement and use that drive to support and defend the very concept of civilization.

While a knife can be useful for defense....
It takes lots practice and the willingness to use it.
You are in bad breath distance of a threat...and that ain't never good...no matter who you are...what you have...or how you have trained or practiced.

Situational awareness....
Learn how to read people and situations...
Lean how to put and use a barrier between you and the threat...
Simply crossing the street...
Cultivate a look...as in having others know that you are aware of them...but not a "challenging " look....
Keep your hands and arms free...
Don't be looking at yer damn phone....or have stupid ear buds....
If it looks iffy...don't go there....
When talking to someone , don't use stupid movie lines....
You don't have to prove anything....you do need to survive.

All of the above are much better than a knife.
Andy

You are in bad breath distance of a threat...and that ain't never good...no matter who you are...what you have...or how you have trained or practiced.

Cultivate a look...as in having others know that you are aware of them...but not a "challenging " look....

Andy
Excellent advise.

Andy
Excellent advise and I will add - move with a purpose. Don't be staring at your feet, with your shoulders drooped and moving slowly. Head up, eyes scanning, back straight, shoulders high and moving at a reasonable clip. ie: don't look like a victim. Look like someone who may be a PITA to deal with to a bad doobie.

Excellent advise and I will add - move with a purpose. Don't be staring at your feet, with your shoulders drooped and moving slowly. Head up, eyes scanning, back straight, shoulders high and moving at a reasonable clip. ie: don't look like a victim. Look like someone who may be a PITA to deal with to a bad doobie.
Or dress in the latest homeless fashion and drape a furniture blanket over your shoulders. Preferably one your cat peed on.

Training...

If your asking others advice I suspect most of what you choose could get you arrested or place you in the hospital with a proctologist preforming an emergency extraction.

Safest choice for untrained would be the previously suggested pepper spray. Do some research as they come in different "flavors".
K

Spend your money on self defense training. Learn some empty hand stuff that allows you a chance to break contact and leave. A knife is cheap enough to get trained and armed if you choose. Your training will help you decide which knife works. Keep in mind surviving a knife fight will have a lot of probable consequences including wounds and legal repercussions. If you pay attention to the homeless, many of them are now carrying sticks and clubs. If you skip getting any training, sticks(and stones) WILL break bones and in the correct form can be legally carried most places(cane or walking stick).

Spend your money on self defense training. Learn some empty hand stuff that allows you a chance to break contact and leave. A knife is cheap enough to get trained and armed if you choose. Your training will help you decide which knife works. Keep in mind surviving a knife fight will have a lot of probable consequences including wounds and legal repercussions. If you pay attention to the homeless, many of them are now carrying sticks and clubs. If you skip getting any training, sticks(and stones) WILL break bones and in the correct form can be legally carried most places(cane or walking stick).
Homeless guy here had at least 10" knife more like 13". Some fantasy type knife but real. Was attacking all inanimate objects around him. Another time somebody was trying to get a pop from him. He freaked out and came out with about a 3" blade and started throwing his pops onto the ground exploding them. Homeless around here are often armed with knife but rocks are the most common I've seen. Did see one homeless guy attempt to stab another at a bus stop though. Most all of them are drugged out of there mind and if you are in range can attack you.

Imo have a gun for life threatening situations where deadly force is justified. They aren't that expensive. And have good pepper spray for non-life threatening situations.

This sounds like a job for flaming hamsters.
FATAL agrees...

20240222_222308.jpg

Paging Mr. @FATAL125, please pick up the white courtesy phone... Mr. FATAL125, please pick up any courtesy phone...
Indeed... the flaming hamster is honestly the best form of defense for this situation.

For $100 you can arm yourself with a backpack full of hamster. A canteen of gasoline and a pocket full of matches. Your would be attackers will never know what hit them (literally) and you will be unscathed and free to go about your day.

Dunk it... Light it... Throw it...

20240307_232725.jpg

Has anyone suggested "Carry a gun."

Also use your head. If there is a high probability of getting into an altercation I would avoid that location. Period. Situational awareness is key. Live in "Left of bang."

I carry a fixed blade everyday along with a firearm. But it's a bit more than your budget. Amtac Northman.

$100-$120 price range? Bear spray would be your best friend at that price point.

Guns, knives, baseball bats, etc would get you in lots of trouble if ever used. Bear spray.....??? Yup, your best friend.

;)

Some books on situational awareness.

I have to go places for work that are less than ideal: Portland, Oakland, SoCal, and big cities across the country. Even though I'm armed most of the time, that is far from my best defense. Understanding what to look for, places and times to avoid, and when it's okay to say, "Nope, not going there," is what keeps us alive. Every good "gunfighting" school I have been to preaches that you win 100% of the fights you are not in. As others have noted, if the fight gets to contact distance, things have gone horribly wrong. Pepper spray is a good option and an intermediate range, non-lethal tool.

Journey safe

My sister used to live in Seattle, and I would dread the occasional obligatory visit there.

The last time I went, after spending a day in Seattle traffic and "the sights" (Pikes Place market had become its own "sheetwhole country"), I woke up at 2am, got in my truck and drove home.

Sis called me in a panic about 7 am. I never went back.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top