JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would you consider a 10MM. Glock makes a really compact one and kimber makes a 1911 model. If your not going to joy shoot with it and just want protection I think it packs just as good a punch as anything short of a .44Mag

I would say first what fits your hand, pocketbook, and comfort level. You will probably have more "concerns" with two legged rather than four legged critters. I am a believer that you should shoot and carry the most effective round "appropriately" possible. .357 magnum or a 10mm would be two excellent calibers for our NW outdoors. Also if you get into 45acp, .40 S&W or 9mm they would do well in specific manufactorer rounds. A bear or couger attack is so extremely rare but if you were attacked shot placement is key and in the smaller calibers (9mm) may take more than less number of rounds.

A Revolver in .357, Glock 20,29 in 10mm, EAA Witness in 10mm, 45acp pistol are just some examples.

I have spent much time in the woods of the NW as i was born and raised here. my carry guns are Ruger Blackhawk .357 Glock 22 .40 and now finally my Glock 20 in 10mm all three are reliable powerfull and easy to shoot. I aggree with earlier posters about using the thigh rig it makes for easy carry and easy draw while staying out of the way of pack straps. Now that i have said that, i wouldnt hesitate to carry a Ruger SP/GP or a S&W 686 in .357 all three will serve you well as all are well made and tough. Just my thoughts. Dresden

I agree here about firepower, except for capacity, I will be carrying my G23 with 15 +1 cap into the woods with a couple mags, big cats (not worried) because your dead before you have a chance, hillbilly rednecks who want you to squeal like a pig? Not if I have anything to do about it, haha! Jk in all seriousness though, people are still the biggest threat in the woods. Hopefully .40 will take care of anything in the lower 48, which with proper aim just might. Grizzly (Alaska) not so much, or at least I would have to step up big!

It sounds like the worst things you're going to run across are of the two legged variety, but I'd say a .357 mag or comparable is optimum. I pack my G20 and run double tap's 230gr hard cast. Some guys back home (AK) are getting above the factory velocity in theirs with the stock barrel. The distributor for double tap in anchorage bagged a black bear this year using a 6" barrel and 230gr.

Growing up in AK if you were in big coastal brown bear territory, it's a 12ga and 3" brenneke slugs, here, outside, 10mm is all I need.

It sounds like the worst things you're going to run across are of the two legged variety, but I'd say a .357 mag or comparable is optimum. I pack my G20 and run double tap's 230gr hard cast. Some guys back home (AK) are getting above the factory velocity in theirs with the stock barrel. The distributor for double tap in anchorage bagged a black bear this year using a 6" barrel and 230gr.

Growing up in AK if you were in big coastal brown bear territory, it's a 12ga and 3" brenneke slugs, here, outside, 10mm is all I need.

Also being faster than at least one other person in your group is a good idea :D

My friends that guide (stream fishing) usually pack .44 mags. I do know a few people that pack .454 or .460's, those are much more common place than a .500.

On AK outdoor forums they have a weekly "is ___ (fill in the caliber) enough for bear" thread and it comes down to a hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a .45-70. Take what you're comfortable with, practice, and work your way up the ladder if you want more gun.

See if it were me I think I might have to go with the .44 mag say 6 inch barrel, and a couple of speedloaders and practice, seen on TV what bears do to people and it is so not pretty especially if you unlucky enough to live through it like this poor kat I saw on that perticular episode (I shouldn't be alive). Scary Movie! I really want to go a nice fishing trip up there someday soon! Thanks for the info

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top