JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So yesterday (Saturday) I had to deliver a customer's vehicle to Klickitat. Not yet having a Washington CHL, my only legal carry option was to OC. I stopped in North Bonneville for window washer fluid and some water. As I was paying for my items, the clerk - a gal who looked to be in her 50's (or maybe she was 30 and just had been living a very, very rough life, who knows) pops off "Why you carryin' a gun?" with a disturbed look on her face.

My reply was along the lines of "Because bad people sometimes do bad things to good people, and in my line of work I travel all over, dealing with all sorts of people - good and bad. And sometimes they try to rob us thinking we've got cash." I then related the incident of a portland tow truck driver who was murdered a few years back. She seemed to get the message - which I was actually pleasantly surprised at. The thing that got me - is that it seemed to make more sense to her that my job seemed to make it more OK for me to be armed than the bad people doing bad things concept - maybe because that's a general idea, whereas throwing in my job, and related story of someone murdered on the job clicked with her and made more sense.

That was one of the very few times I've ever actually had someone question an openly carried firearm. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't even have noticed it, had it not been for the holster I carried in. I was dressed in black pants and work shirt, black gun, but the only OWB holster I have for my M&P right now is OD/Coyote Brown to blend with my normaly outdoorsy clothes.

I've had other instances where folks certainly noticed, and either said nothing, or were also "gun people" and were more inquisitive about caliber and model and not "why you carryin' a gun" types. I've been asked by other store clerks half jokingly about it - I don't normally open carry unless I'm in the woods. I walked into Lees Camp store last year carrying, wearing waders and the clerk laughed and asked if I was going to shoot the fish instead of using a rod.

After delivering the rig to Klickitat, I stopped in Lyle to drain the lizard and parked next to two sheriff deputies in the little trailhead park (Seriously a 13+ mile long trail that runs along the river, with portapotties, good drift boat launches - and miles and miles and miles of fishy looking water - there's a chunk of heaven that was temporarily placed on earth if there ever was such a place) - the cops barely gave me a second glance.

A Washington permit is $50? I have one so I don't have to deal with peoples curiosity. Or foolish questions.
Now you do what you want. But remember what Mark Twain said. "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

A Washington permit is $50? I have one so I don't have to deal with peoples curiosity. Or foolish questions.
Now you do what you want. But remember what Mark Twain said. "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

Cost isn't the issue - it's basically been because I've been too lazy to drive to Vancouver and turn in an application, or I forget when I run up there for work to stop by Clark Co. SO on the way back.

There's also the Utah permit, which costs more and involves a few more hoops to jump through. But for Oregonians, it's also good in Washington. Plus 25 additional states (last time I checked).

Either way, it's handy to be able to drive across a local bridge to go boating, take a hike or visit friends/family up north without leaving my pistol at home, unloading and stashing it, or absentmindedly wandering armed into the wrong economy - a criminal act.

Last Edited:
"ma'am"

stare into the distance, hands on hips, chest high

"Every good citizen makes his country's honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defense and its conscious that he gains protection while he gives it.

I carry this gun because I am willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for your protection and the protection of this country."

(apologies to Mr Jackson)

Even if it is worn on body? Thats an interesting twist.

Yes,
RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Why do you carry a gun/knife? Why do you own an assault rifle? Why do you need so many guns?

"Because the voices tell me to."

The look on peoples faces when I tell them that is 'priceless'.

This summer I was hog hunting in Ochoco Forest and had to stop by the town for some supplies. Due to the heat I OC in the convenience store and no one said a word. I realized that most of the customers there actually were concealing or OC theirselves which explained a lot until I was outside packing my car and someone with a WA license plate pulled up. They asked 'You have a gun?' so I responded with a simple 'yep'. They looked pretty freaked out so I elaborated: 'Don't worry, I keep the rest of them locked up in the back of the rig. This ones for stupid people who want to try something foolish.' They walked into the store, and judging from their facial features through the window, saw that most of the other people in there were carrying too. I left hoping they felt safer knowing all the good guys were carrying guns.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top