JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I teach at a high school...and while we do have a plan for dealing with a intruder....I like the idea of options.
Having been in combat , I know that many times the plan goes awry or becomes unworkable for reasons beyond our control...being armed , can give a teacher some more control over a uncontrolled situation.

I also like the idea of some sort of training with emphasis on :
Crowds...
Coming to terms with the after effects of shooting...both in a building and the more emotional / psyche changing outlook of actually shooting someone...
Room clearing / securing...
I have experience with this...but it was done with the Army , in a combat zone...which worked great there...but it may not be the best way , in a school...

Talking with the local law enforcement and getting some ideas on what they would want a teacher to do in this situation , if armed , is a good idea as well.
Making sure that the teachers / staff understand:
Just what bullets actually do ...
That the intruder will not go by your school's plan...
Shooting someone is not all like what you may have seen on TV or in the movies...
Having a gun and more importantly the willingness to use it effectively , should be only part of the school's overall plan...

A armed , trained and willing staff is needed ...I am glad to see that at least one district is going in that direction.
Andy

its about time parents began to realize their kids are being sent to shooting galleries and not gun free zones designed by the leftist

and yet the board of education has armed guards paid for with YOUR TAX DOLLARS

wake up...... your kids are being used to further an agenda...isnt the leftist ideology brainwashing enough? are you going to wait till your child is killed before you stand up to this nonsense?

any democrat vote is an assured vote for gun control until only the crims have weapons!

I teach at a high school...and while we do have a plan for dealing with a intruder....I like the idea of options.
Having been in combat , I know that many times the plan goes awry or becomes unworkable for reasons beyond our control...being armed , can give a teacher some more control over a uncontrolled situation.

Crowds...
Coming to terms with after effects of shooting...both in a building and the more emotional / psyche changing outlook of actually shooting someone...
I have experience with this...but it was done with the Army , in a combat zone...which worked great there...but it may not be the best way , in a school...

Talking with the local law enforcement and getting some ideas on what they would want a teacher to do in this situation , if armed , is a good idea as well.
Shooting someone is not all like what you may have seen on TV or in the movies...
Having a gun and more importantly the willingness to use it effectively , should be only part of the school's overall plan...

A armed , trained and willing staff is needed ...I am glad to see that at least one district is going in that direction.
Andy
Andy, I have opined here frequently about the lack of balance in the teaching profession. When we went to school, there were many WW2 vet teachers that kept the goofy liberals in check. Today (as you know) you are one of a very few in the profession. So many have never done anything productive or real outside of passing a final test and when they congregate in close proximity like a school they become insufferable as well as infecting impressionable young people with there unrealistic dogma. It must be a challenge for a real person to work in that environment. You are a better man than I.

Crowds...
Coming to terms with after effects of shooting...both in a building and the more emotional / psyche changing outlook of actually shooting someone...

Andy

Completely agree with all this. Not to mention the deterrent factor if everyone knew that staff and faculty were armed. The stuff I've either seen or read about home break-ins is that houses with dogs get bypassed - just too much hassle. The reasonable person approach would dictate the same response from someone considering shooting up a school. Of course, that's a reasonable person.

YES! Willing school staff, not just teachers, should be armed and trained! This should mean concealed carry, not having to go to a secure spot to find their firearm!

Schools should also have several folks that are basic EMT trained!

Staff that do not like these ideas should be replaced, or at least sent to their "safe space!" :rolleyes::D

Crowds...

Andy

Andy is the exact type of teacher that should be armed , his combat experience.is irreplaceable by any classes a civilian can take.non of these shooters has had to walk into a school and run into someone that knows what they are doing.

SRO or armed teachers are the last line of defense for our kids in public schools.

It infuriates me to no end that liberals in the public school system will not even consider toughing up schools.

They really do not care about doing what is right to protect students because their anti-gun agenda is ALL THAT MATTERS!:mad::mad::mad:

I am completely in favor of voluntary training and carry because it's not for everyone. My wife teaches but has no interest in carrying.
Not to take away from SROs but we have a great untapped resource in our returning vets. These are trained sheepdogs and I've spoken to a few who would jump at the chance to keep our kids safe.

I am completely in favor of voluntary training and carry because it's not for everyone. My wife teaches but has no interest in carrying.
Not to take away from SROs but we have a great untapped resource in our returning vets. These are trained sheepdogs and I've spoken to a few who would jump at the chance to keep our kids safe.

As a retired marine and substitute Instructional Assistant, I would really enjoy the opportunity to do something exactly like that. Of course, it would take probably another two years of school to get my teaching certification.

As a retired marine and substitute Instructional Assistant, I would really enjoy the opportunity to do something exactly like that. Of course, it would take probably another two years of school to get my teaching certification.

Teach social studies and history . It would be beneficial for the kids to learn what the consequences of disarmament and gun control could be and what it has resulted in in the past..

If it's something you feel strongly about, you should look into it. Both my in-laws became teachers after retiring from the Air Force (26 and 22 years). FIL just stopped last year at 65, MIL is still teaching Special Ed.

Last Edited:
A couple of thoughts here, and we'll stipulate that I am in favor of everybody who has the desire and dedication to make the continuing effort to get -and to keep- themselves trained to defend themselves and others.

First is: the idea of arming staff in schools is a logical first step but (not having read the article) the discussion seems a bit short-sighted if it's only about guns, guns, guns.

Almost all of these school shootings are a form of suicide for the actors. A suicide set in a situation that is almost certainly going to get them some 'fame'.

The one thing they do NOT want is to be arrested and kept alive to face trial and jail. I am thinking that if, in addition to lethal force, the schools had some XREP Taser shotguns or some ordinary X-26's as well as some Mk-9 1-pound cans of OC/CS, and everybody knew it, the shooters might be looking at an uncertain outcome- that of surviving their rampage and a lifetime of prison.

Secondly, what we're doing is looking for the best duct tape to keep the wings from falling off- instead of focusing on why the wings are coming off in the first place.

Why are so many (and almost all of 'em are) young white males going into a school to shoot staff and students and get themselves killed in the process? There's where the answer that matters can be found.

I think it is already legal to carry concealed in a public school in Oregon if you have a CHL. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as why so many young white males shoot up schools - it is an important question, but answering that question and fixing it may take a while. The immediate focus for schools and law enforcement should be better school security to keep out bad people; and on allowing teachers to use guns to protect students if the security fails.

A couple of thoughts here, and we'll stipulate that I am in favor of everybody who has the desire and dedication to make the continuing effort to get -and to keep- themselves trained to defend themselves and others.

First is: the idea of arming staff in schools is a logical first step but (not having read the article) the discussion seems a bit short-sighted if it's only about guns, guns, guns.

Almost all of these school shootings are a form of suicide for the actors. A suicide set in a situation that is almost certainly going to get them some 'fame'.

The one thing they do NOT want is to be arrested and kept alive to face trial and jail. I am thinking that if, in addition to lethal force, the schools had some XREP Taser shotguns or some ordinary X-26's as well as some Mk-9 1-pound cans of OC/CS, and everybody knew it, the shooters might be looking at an uncertain outcome- that of surviving their rampage and a lifetime of prison.

Secondly, what we're doing is looking for the best duct tape to keep the wings from falling off- instead of focusing on why the wings are coming off in the first place.

Why are so many (and almost all of 'em are) young white males going into a school to shoot staff and students and get themselves killed in the process? There's where the answer that matters can be found.

Absolutely true, we're putting a band-aid on a sucking chest wound! The several schools I've worked in have zero as far as security goes. Sure all the doors are locked, except the front door, which has no one watching it. Pretty sure most of the schools have video surveillance inside the hallways, but no pays attention to the monitors either. I believe while the answers are being searched for, security is the key.

I think it is already legal to carry concealed in a public school in Oregon if you have a CHL. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as why so many young white males shoot up schools - it is an important question, but answering that question and fixing it may take a while. The immediate focus for schools and law enforcement should be better school security to keep out bad people; and on allowing teachers to use guns to protect students if the security fails.

Staff may explicitly NOT CARRY (sadly), however visitors may, in some circumstances.

Super on that district to making the initial decision as to some steps which can be made by willing volunteers! Outstanding!

I seen 1 with gun free zone signs out on the road .in Yamhill if I remember correct

Crowds...
Coming to terms with the after effects of shooting...both in a building and the more emotional / psyche changing outlook of actually shooting someone...

Andy

A combat vet is the best option . They won't panic when it goes down , and will respond effectively & prompt. 1 guy coming gunning at you and yours is a minor situation compared to 20 or so shooting at you. The training and situation awareness is unreplacible .

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews