JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm considering getting an A.R 15 or some kind of A.R

Why do you think it's the best. Is it a good choice for the one and only one, for now?
I don't think it's the best one and only firearm, for right now anyways.
I believe you should always carry but the AR presents a couple of issues.

If you end up getting one, and if you dont really have alot of formal training, Spend another $200. and go to a class, maybe grey's solutions USA, or another school around you. It well worth the money to get formal training. skills, skills, skills...

In Washington it makes sense to buy the lower receiver by itself. Cheap, no 1639 process, no state paperwork, just a federal 4473 which is usually an instant check. After that you can decide which configuration you want to end up with, whether to go NFA, etc. If you buy a complete AR then 1639 applies, the fee; the waiting period, the "training" certificate; etc.

Sometime during the next year FFL dealers in Washington will be required to start using the state process for frames and receivers too.
And if you're going this route ALWAYS complete it with bare tube as a "pistol" first no matter what your intents. If it starts as a pistol you can swap at will, if first completion is rifle it's legally considered so forevermore.

I'll always suggest a bolt action 22 as a first rifle, and truth be told if I were forced to only have one rifle my Browning A Bolt 22 is probably the one I'd keep.

The AR platform has a LOT going for it. It's lightweight, versatile, has great ergonomics and carbines have adjustable stocks to get a decent fit for most shooters.

You really have to think, though, about your intended usage and needs. A gun is a tool, just like a shovel you don't use the same one for all purposes. For example, a snow or a scoop shovel are great for what they do, but you wouldn't want to dig a hole with either.

I suggest you get some training, especially where firearms are provided and learn before you purchase. Also, I suggest you buy used as it's likely as you gain experience you might change your mind about what you want/need, and used firearms won't lose as much value as new ones (though over time all will gain in value).

If you think you may need an AR, but worried about a later ban, I suggest you get one and leave it in the box while you come up to speed on a bolt action.

I wanted an AR since I was about 16 and have never been disappointed in the fact that I eventually purchased one. That's not something I can say about the other rifles and pistols I have owned over the years. My $0.02

I'm not one that had any thoughts about owning an AR15. And an AR15 carbine is still of little interest to me. An AR15 SBR or pistol with a brace is an entirely different subject, as far as I'm concerned. Making it small while retaining a healthy cartridge appealed to me.
Mine's built on a Aero lower with a 10.5" barrel. It's a handy thing.
Be sure everyone near has gun mufflers since a 10.5" barrel it is quite loud unless you run a suppressor, Even then you need to wear gun mufflers.

Be sure everyone near has gun mufflers since a 10.5" barrel it is quite loud unless you run a suppressor, Even then you need to wear gun mufflers.
If you think a 10.5 is loud, you should hear my 8.5 light off...

I fear that this is going to end up in the MQTOoC thread shortly... :oops:

Last Edited:
An AR would not be my choice for a one and only gun.

If an AR is what you are truly looking for, I'd add another to the 10.5" pistol route (in .223 Wylde or 5.56 chambering so to allow use of .223 or 5.56 ammo) as it is super versatile and reasonably compact. Things get a lot louder going shorter than 10.5". If you want something a little more traditional in an AR, I'd get a 16" completed firearm from a know and well regarded manufacturer (S&W, Ruger, Colt, etc) and get some training.

Ultimately though, if it is your first or only gun, I'd recommend going to a range where you can rent firearms and try a few different kinds to find what works best for you. If trying before you buy isn't an option for whatever reason, I'd recommend a Glock 19 in 9mm as a starting point. I'm not a Glock fan boy, but they are fairly ubiquitous, known for reliability, easy to find parts for, and easy to get assistance with. 9mm is an effective defensive round and cheaper/more available than other common defensive calibers. The 19 is small enough to be used for concealed carry if you pursue that option, but big enough to be comfortable to shoot regularly at the range. Quite possibly the best "one and only" gun for a huge percentage of the population.

Whatever you end up deciding, get training, watch lots of videos, get familiar with your gun, and take care of it. Most importantly, ALWAYS follow the rules of gun safety. Carelessness and disregard for the rules will set yourself up for failure and possibly a negatively life changing (possibly ending) event.

Something to consider with a AR15 rifle....
Is that they often show up on someone's "You can't own this" list.

Which may mean down the road you might have to decide to be in compliance with a law...
Or...
Not be in compliance with a law.
Andy

Because ARs are dope. You can get an AR that will run reliably for less then a grand. I bought a PSA complete lower and a 16" upper for less then $700. Its been reliable as I've put a few thousand rounds of steel case through it lol. Throw a decent red dot or an LPVO on top and you're cooking.
Honestly, not a bad first gun. 55 grain .223 going through a 16"inch barrel with a mid length gas system is pretty soft. I've had a few friends try mine out and they're all like "that wasn't that bad lol".

Last Edited:
I'm just trying to understand your claim. If you met via online dating, that would make sense.
My apologies. It's late and my brain thought my jokes were funny.

My wife and I began our relationship in the traditional way: me leaving her standing by the bus stop after she missed her bus. No internet influence involved. I've always been a smooth operator on my own.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top