JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 10.5 CAR-15 type. I wanted an A1 upper, but didn't want to pay for that premium, so I just put a nice UTG fixed A3 rear sight and called it good. Otherwise, plastic slim delta handguards and CAR stock. I'm considering doing something like this with an old-school float tube:

float tube.png

Actually, with one of these FTF fluted units:

I'm gunsmitherific, so I don't fear removing and reinstalling the sight tower, but it will be a pain. Plus the whole barrel wrench/receiver block PITA.

Pros:
Might be more accurate, might be lighter.

Cons:
Might not seem any different with iron sights, might be less comfortable to shoot, might be heavier. I will be about $70 lighter, all told.

Opinions?
And if I do it, should I spend another $50 and get a slick side A3 upper while I'm at it?

I'm gunsmitherific, so I don't fear removing and reinstalling the sight tower, but it will be a pain. Plus the whole barrel wrench/receiver block PITA.
it would be more expensive but if your going to go that far Id get a full top rail mlok handguard.
Opinions?
And if I do it, should I spend another $50 and get a slick side A3 upper while I'm at it?
yes, but then youd have to buy a new lower and wind up with another project rifle....
This is how these things reproduce easy like that... :)

I just went through this with a c. 2012 S&W sport 1 upper I got from another member here.

This is what I did, above a WC lower with a 2-stage match trigger:

A) BKF 7" FF handguard

B) Until I can get a target 1-4 LPVO for it for competition, a good quality Carry handle like this will work (have one I bought from him already, great quality S&W OE):

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988156937

That particular auction is for a non-f carry handle, but it can be massaged.

I have I think three a1 uppers in the shop/garage not used. They are getting more pricey and rare; finding alternates is a reasonable effort. I was about to sell off two of the three I have, but right now it's just not worth selling but rather holding. Tough market.

Crap in the garage it's just not worth selling right now:
809C963A-F04B-4798-9D15-85790B7347E9.jpeg

it would be more expensive but if your going to go that far Id get a full top rail mlok handguard.

yes, but then youd have to buy a new lower and wind up with another project rifle....
This is how these things reproduce easy like that... :)
I can't buy a new lower - WA.

I know all the cool kidz have the railed forearms, but I am trying for a retro thing.

I know all the cool kidz have the railed forearms, but I am trying for a retro thing.
Ive always wanted a retro Vietnam era CAR15 carbine.

But I like the round free float handguard you picked out, will look very nice.

That tube will look weird. A float tube is totally out of place for a compact carbine which likely has a cheap-o barrel in it and is never gonna be particulalrly accurate.

The most "retro" thing to do is to just use CAR handguards, tbh.

I may also have a cowbell in the garage I could chip in, if the thread thinks we still need more…

Hold the phone.
Is that an actual NWFA marked lower??
Yes it is! NWFA existing WAY before your knobgoblin' self started peeing on all the carpets around here!

Actually, Joe Link did a run of those lowers some years back, I happened to have won it during one of the annual fund-raiser/give-aways. One time I also one a 9mm PCC, but I donated the cost of it back NWFA instead.

Yes it is! NWFA existing WAY before your knobgoblin' self started peeing on all the carpets around here!

Actually, Joe Link did a run of those lowers some years back, I happened to have won it during one of the annual fund-raiser/give-aways. One time I also one a 9mm PCC, but I donated the cost of it back NWFA instead.
Color me jelly

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads