JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BEST at what purpose?

Rrrrright........ BEST at pissing off a LEFTY LIBERAL. IMHO.....any one of the family will do.

Modern-Musket.jpg

Aloha, Mark

On a more serious note.

IMHO..........if I'm a newbie and only getting one AR.

Then the simple no brainer answer is.........COLT. You pick the configuration you like.

Why?

History and resale.

When I think of firearms.........say Civil War?

COLT 1851 or 1860 revolver.

Indian Wars and the Spanish American War?

COLT SAA (Peacemaker, mod 1873)

WW1?

COLT M1911

WW2?

COLT M1911A1

Viet Nam?

COLT M16A1 (AR15 SP1 or AR15-A1)

Desert Storm?

COLT M16A2 (AR15-A2)

Iraq/Afghanistan?

COLT M4 (AR15 Mod#6920)

See how that works?

Then.........

IF you can remember the '94 AWB......well, I sold many a COLT AR15 for big $$$$ and they were really easy to move compared to the lesser named brands (or Frankenstein builds).​
Mind you that I'm not saying that history will repeat itself or that COLT is THE BEST OF ANY OF THE OTHER MFNs OUT THERE. I'm just saying that more than likely..........when it's time to sell...........there will probably be a buyer who knows the name and product. Thus, it sort of sells itself.

Aloha, Mark

I'm not one that had any thoughts about owning an AR15. And an AR15 carbine is still of little interest to me. An AR15 SBR or pistol with a brace is an entirely different subject, as far as I'm concerned. Making it small while retaining a healthy cartridge appealed to me.
Mine's built on a Aero lower with a 10.5" barrel. It's a handy thing.

Biggest reason is because of the customization that it would allow. There are few (if any) platforms that provide the level of customization options available for the AR15 platform. Start with an AR15 pistol and the sky is the limit for what you can build with it. Parts are relatively cheap compared to many other platforms. Options are nearly endless. The platform has generally been proven reliable in conflicts over many decades.

It would not be a good concealed carry firearm but that is the only drawback for somebody wanting to own only one firearm.

Some random thoughts :

There is no such thing as a single firearm that is always good for all shooting applications.

With that said...
If one were to go with the AR15 , you can swap out upper receivers for different calibers....change out stocks , sights , etc...
Almost the whole works of the rifle can be switched or swapped or changed....

When doing so however...the rifle is out of commission , so to speak when the changes / swapping etc are being done...
So it ain't really good at anything at that moment.

Is the AR15 a "good" firearm...sure if good quality parts are used and its a quality build ( factory or home built ) .
( as is the case with any firearm )
It is , again , like any other firearm , only as good as the person using it.

What is "best" is very subjective ...and what is best for one person , in one situation , may not be best for another.

it would be wise to plan what you want / need for a firearm to do....
Then buy one or a few that fit your shooting needs or style....rather than getting only one with the idea that it can do it all.

Very often "one size fits all"... will mean one size fits none.
Andy

Last Edited:
You can't conceal it. So no, an AR is not the best option if its the only gun you've got and live or work mostly in an urban area. Most urbanites in Oregon will be upset by someone sporting an AR, and most employers, restaurants, stores will likely call 911 or ask you to leave. So open carrying your AR isnt likely to be a peaceful proposition. If you live and work mostly on your own remote rural property and have a large track of land, then you can run around carrying an AR all the time if you want. Your neighbors, if you have any, will probably think you fancy yourself a one man militia and are maybe a few cards short of a deck, but live and let live. If its post apocalypse, the AR might be the best single gun to have, but it still may be unworkable to try to carry it in urban areas.

@Grilling425, did you buy anything for your birthday?
Shop locally, see if you like anything.
If online, find a local FFL who will accept your firearm and do the transfer. You may need a copy of their FFL certificate to complete the online purchase.
Three online budget places you can find ARs:
Palmetto State Armory
Primary Arms
Bear Creek Arms
The Bear Creek might need some adjustment.
Lastly, If you have the money (~$1,600), go to Geissele and get their Super Duty AR15, on sale until midnight tonight.

@Grilling425 , @arakboss on this forum is a bloodhound for finding sweet deals.
You could buy a lower locally (in stock at the Fisherman's near me), and buy this.

@Grilling425 , @arakboss on this forum is a bloodhound for finding sweet deals.
You could buy a lower locally (in stock at the Fisherman's near me), and buy this.
how much is fishermans wanting for a lower these days?

It has its niche. If you're wanting to get into firearms, I suggest a bolt action 22LR first. Simple. Easy to operate. Low recoil. Fairly bulletproof (pun intended.) The AR (or any 556/223 caliber autoloading) rifle is good for protection against man size animals or smaller.

It is illegal to hunt deer in WA with anything smaller than 224 caliber which rules out the 'standard' AR. But with a barrel change, you could turn it into a .350 legend which would make it legal. Other AR calibers would require bolt and/or mag change.

If you dont want or need.. why would you buy one? As much as an AR would be a great plinking rifle.. why not get a pistol if that is your one and only firearm? Easier to store and transport, affordable to plink with, options to take it to an indoor range.

What is your intended purpose for this one and only firearm? If you're simply a new hobbyist plinker a 10/22 is just as modular and at this point in time more affordable to plink with. But as others have stated.. its still a rifle.. storage and transport will be an issue for those not used to long arms.

If this is your first and only firearm, Id start off with something more affordable to plink with at this point in time. A .22 caliber firearm would be a good option. The MK line of pistols as well as a 10/22 rifles are .22 caliber options that will provide fun plinking at an affordable rate and entry into the hobby. ARs are simple and modular.. but if you aren't ready for that particular firearm why jump into it? Take your time on something else and enjoy that for a while, that firearm can always be sold and its funds used to buy an AR down the road.

As always.. shoot and store your firearm responsibly and trash no land in the process.

The AR is a great choice because parts and ammo abound. They are easy to maintain and upgrade. You can customize it to suit any perceived need depending only on how much you want to spend.
The AR is a proven, reliable platform. I think the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II is a decent starting point. Ruger also makes a reasonably priced model as well.
So, how much do you want to spend?

In Washington it makes sense to buy the lower receiver by itself. Cheap, no 1639 process, no state paperwork, just a federal 4473 which is usually an instant check. After that you can decide which configuration you want to end up with, whether to go NFA, etc. If you buy a complete AR then 1639 applies, the fee; the waiting period, the "training" certificate; etc.

Sometime during the next year FFL dealers in Washington will be required to start using the state process for frames and receivers too.

I'm considering getting an A.R 15 or some kind of A.R

Why do you think it's the best. Is it a good choice for the one and only one, for now?
No.

It sounds like you simply don't know what you want, and that you don't have any experience. Given your threads posted.

All of which is fine!

However NO ONE can answer WHAT YOU NEED, nor WHAT YOU SHOULD WANT.

Make acquaintances whom will take you to ranges/clubs. If you don't have any family nor friends whom will.

As has been reiterated in your other threads: take a class.

Have you scheduled one yet?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads