JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last September I had an ex-girlfriend, liberal; who went ballistic over 1) AR 15s having high capacity magazines; "that no body needs", and 2) no one need an AR, these have only one purpose "for killing". Hysterics abounded when I challenged her thinking, and she left the relationship about 4 days later. Now, in the mist of riots, and honest people protecting their lives or homes, and government troops guarding our culture and history with ARs, I often think how stupid she was throwing mud at high capacity firearms and walking out on the relationship.
This officer saved his life with high capacity firearms and later tooled up with more rounds for "prevention and safety". A very good lesson for all of us now, facing the social disturbances on the streets of America.

There is another piece of this lesson. Most of us carry either no spare magazine or one; but times are changing and maybe we should think differently. I know that prosecutors think that carrying more than one mag, in the firearm; suggests that the chl is looking for trouble and predisposed to a gun fight, but now, we are facing mobs of people destroying vehicles, property and street attacks. Just something more to think about.

Last Edited:
This officer saved his life with high capacity firearms and later tooled up with more rounds for "prevention and safety". A very good lesson for all of us now, facing the social disturbances on the streets of America.

The question I ask myself "prevention and safety". of whom?. Sure would not want to be any where in the area when he let loose with 100+ founds to stop someone. A good hit percentage on a perp is around 40%

Seems if your a civilian and an altercation occurs and your carrying a large number of rounds it looks like you went looking for trouble - isn't this a double standard?

Maybe to share ammo with other cops if they're in a protracted firefight (assuming same caliber, magazine, etc.)?

And, watching/reading as many crime documentaries as I do, I'm amazed when I hear that someone took 17 rounds, survived, got 11 removed in the ER, made a passable recovery with 6 still inside and is now back on 2 feet.

AAAANNNND... Statistics suggest that in most quick-draw, run-to-take-cover gunfights, a huge number of shots will miss the target.

Finally, unlike a shrieking tantrum mob deducing that some criminals with badges make all cops bad, I feel our police are all too often sorely under-armed.

Last Edited:
@JRuby Yep just like what was happening in this woman's case until the George Floyd killing it is very emblematic of what you said. BTW this was a completely innocent woman asleep in her bed as was her boyfriend, who was charged with attempted murder of a Cop...

The man police were searching for Mr Glover, did not live in her apartment complex, and had even already been detained by the time officers showed up. Moreover Ms Taylor had dated Mr Glover two years ago and did not maintain an active friendship with him.

The three officers say they knocked on the door to announce themselves. But multiple neighbors say the officers neither knocked nor identified themselves which was supported when they fessed up that they had a no knock warrant. BTW they also weren't wearing body cams.

The boyfriend, says he woke up and believed someone was trying to break into the apartment. He fired a shot, hitting an officer in the leg. Police then fired more than 20 rounds into the apartment. Ms. Taylor was hit eight times and died at the scene, Her BF Mr. Walker was arrested and charged with attempted murder of a police officer. Police found no drugs in the apartment, and both Taylor and Walker have no criminal history.

Officer Hankison however has a history of misconduct allegations and was facing an ongoing federal lawsuit at the time the incident.

Kendrick Wilson has accused Hankison of "harassing suspects with unnecessary arrests and planting drugs on them," Wilson also alleges that Hankison targeted him and arrested him three times in a two-year period.

Also now two women in early June have alleged that Hankison assaulted them. In both allegations, Hankison offered the women rides home after they had been drinking at local bars. In one case, the woman was assaulted while she was unconscious. In the other, Hankison made sexual advances while she sat in his unmarked car, including rubbing her thighs and kissing her face.

Hankison's termination letter stated he had "displayed an extreme indifference to the value of human life when you wantonly and blindly fired ten (10) rounds into the apartment of Breonna Taylor…" Hankison also violated the department's protocol on use of deadly force when he shot through a patio door and window that was covered. This prevented him from determining whether there was an immediate threat or innocent people present; some of the bullets even traveled to a neighbor's apartment where three people were endangered.

This case was going exactly the way JRuby was talking about. Yeah Houston we got a problem.

When a law enforcement officer shoots an inordinate amount of rounds where do all those bullets go - rarely if ever do the majority of the rounds hit the intended target - who accounts for those rounds that missed said target. What happens when a bystander gets hit by one of those rounds. The officer is not responsible it gets blamed on the action of the individual that gets shot.
Okay, great. It should be an easy matter then for you to produce some statutory and case law that supports your claim that the "officer is not responsible" and your earlier claim that LEOs "have immunity from this responsibility."

Liang, who was convicted in February of manslaughter and official misconduct in the shooting death of an unarmed black man in 2014, was sentenced Tuesday to five years of probation and community service after the judge in the case reduced his conviction from manslaughter to criminally negligent homicide moments before ...Apr 19, 2016

Liang never spent any time in jail for the manslaughter - any civilian would certainly be sent away for shooting someone accidently with a gun.
Immune people don't get probation or community service. You seem to be moving the goal posts.

Earlier you said, "the basic principle that you are responsible where every round you fire does not apply to LEO's. They have immunity from this responsibility." With very little effort I found two cases in two different states that showed there's no blanket LEO immunity from prosecution for deaths or injuries caused by negligent or reckless shootings.

As for your claim that "any civilian would certainly be sent away for shooting someone accidently with a gun", I would advise you not to try to sell that fable to the family of Kate Steinle. Here's Florida prosecuting attorney Brad King explaining in a 2015 article about civilian shootings that: "An accidental discharge of a firearm causing death, even if the result of gross negligence cannot be prosecuted criminally".

Look, I get that you think there's a double standard regarding negligent or reckless shootings and you might be right but you haven't supplied any conclusive evidence to that effect. Police have been granted a certain amount of leeway because they are duty bound to do things we don't expect of anyone else and they are sometimes placed in dangerous circumstances that most civilians never face. It seems to be case that in a lot of jurisdiction whatever double standard there may or may not be now cuts against the police and not in their favor. In any event, there's no policy or law I am aware of that gives police immunity from the consequences of recklessly, negligently, or unreasonably killing or wounding someone.

Last Edited:
Immune people don't get probation or community service. You seem to be moving the goal posts.

Earlier you said, "the basic principle that you are responsible where every round you fire does not apply to LEO's. They have immunity from this responsibility." With very little effort I found two cases in two different states that showed there's no blanket LEO immunity from prosecution for deaths or injuries caused by negligent or reckless shootings.

As for your claim that "any civilian would certainly be sent away for shooting someone accidently with a gun", I would advise you not to try to sell that fable to the family of Kate Steinle. Here's Florida prosecuting attorney Brad King explaining in a 2015 article about civilian shootings that: "An accidental discharge of a firearm causing death, even if the result of gross negligence cannot be prosecuted criminally".

Look, I get that you think there's a double standard regarding negligent or reckless shootings and you might be right but you haven't supplied any conclusive evidence to that effect. Police have been granted a certain amount of leeway because they are duty bound to do things we don't expect of anyone else and they are sometimes placed in dangerous circumstances that most civilians never face. It seems to be case that in a lot of jurisdiction whatever double standard there may or may not be now cuts against the police and not in their favor. In any event, there's no policy or law I am aware of that gives police immunity from the consequences of recklessly, negl

It seems to be case that in a lot of jurisdiction whatever double standard there may or may not be now cuts against the police and not in their favor. In any event, there's no policy or law I am aware of that gives police immunity from the consequences of recklessly, negligently, or unreasonably killing or wounding someone.
The governmental immunity statute generally provides that a police officer, as an employee of a governmental agency, is immune from tort liability for injuries to persons or property damage caused by the officer while in the course of employment. MCL 691.1407(2). However, the immunity applies only if all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The police officer is acting or reasonably believes he or she is acting with the scope of his or her authority.
(b) The governmental agency is engaged in the exercise or discharge of a governmental function.
(c) The police officer's conduct does not amount to gross negligence that is the proximate cause of the injury or damage. [MCL 691.1407(2).]

So the next question is - what is gross negligence?
The term "gross negligence" has been defined as "conduct so reckless as to demonstrate a substantial lack of concern for whether an injury results." MCL 691.1407(7)(a). Other than this definition, there is no clear-cut line as to what conduct arises to the level of gross negligence. The courts usually take a case-by-case approach.

So in short all you really have to say is I was doing my job - sorry about Johnny being in the way. I never meant to hurt anyone. For a civilian we do not have this excuse.

A pitched, running gun battle in U.S. law enforcement is a rare occurrence. What is more likely is a "shooting" involving under 5 rounds being fired in a narrow window of time/opportunity.

I have a question: Are LEO's allowed to carry hollowpoint ammunition like Gold Dot's in their service pistols? I firmly believe HP's in .45 or 9mm are about equal in stopping power and would be my pick for a defensive ammunition.

Usually you carry what you are issued, and the quality of issue ammunition has just gotten better over time. I never encountered anyone who cared how much you carried. My issued ammunition was always hollow points.

Lets see, I nominally carry 65 rounds in 5 mags ( one in the pistol) and another 25 rounds in 2 mags, ( one in the second pistol) so, am i simply prepared, or am I a nutter with an arsenal? Time will tell the tail!
Opinions are like arseholes, nobody should care how many rounds a person carries or why, and ultimately, no court should be convinced to care ether! The right to keep and bear arms doesn't place restrictions on what, when, where, how, or why, and certainly has no restriction of caliber or quantity!

Continue to fight as long as you are awake!

If you have thoughts, you are alive.

For the math nerds....
380. 210 ft lbs.
9mm. 350 ft lbs.
45. 425 ft lbs.
223. 1800 ft lbs.
308. 2700 ft lbs.
7mm mag. 3000 ft lbs.

Lets see, I nominally carry 65 rounds in 5 mags ( one in the pistol) and another 25 rounds in 2 mags, ( one in the second pistol) so, am i simply prepared, or am I a nutter with an arsenal? Time will tell the tail!
Opinions are like arseholes, nobody should care how many rounds a person carries or why, and ultimately, no court should be convinced to care ether! The right to keep and bear arms doesn't place restrictions on what, when, where, how, or why, and certainly has no restriction of caliber or quantity!
But you are responsible where every bullet you fire ends up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top