JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would be interested in learning why officer Gramins switched to 9 from .45.

The lesson I'm taking from the story is that the head shots were decisive. Shot placement appears to make more of a differece than any other factor when discussing calibers; maybe the switch was to lighten the overall load while increasing rounds. (?)

One of my favorite drills anymore is to present my pistol from chest-ready, acquire a sight picture, hit a paper plate a couple of times as soon as the sight picture is acquired, then return to ready, varying the target distance from 10 to 25 yards.

It's tempting to toss up a B-29 target and call anything landing in that 1-foot oblong zone "close enough combat accuracy", but the mantra of "practice small- hit small" keeps nagging me and this story reinforces the concept: get used to hitting a 6" area.

Practice focusing on transitioning from two in the center mass followed by one well-aimed round in the head could be something that'd come in very handy in a dire extreme circumstance.

rev45,

Yeah, probably stoked with a load of chemicals of some provenance or other?

Gabe Suarez tells a tale of a criminal shot with a 12 ga. slug through his chest out his back and didn't go down, but in fact turned himself in a 'week' later with his lawyer in tow.

Unless it's a CNS hit, lots and lots of times suspects keep on fighting.

That's a lesson we of the 'law abiding set' should take note of.

What am I talking about?

If we, defending ourselves get hit by a bullet, 'DON'T' give up - stay in the fight.

Keep on fighting. Just because you're hit doesn't necessarily mean you're out of the fight.

Just got to wonder where all those rounds go that they miss with. That's right the basic principle that you are responsible where every round you fire does not apply to LEO's. They have immunity from this responsibility.

Just got to wonder where all those rounds go that they miss with. That's right the basic principle that you are responsible where every round you fire does not apply to LEO's. They have immunity from this responsibility.
Our MCSO gun safety class leader said private citizens will be responsible for each round sent down the pipe. Which makes me wonder about that cop a while back racing through the neighborhood firing through his windshield at a bad guy.

My background is in LEO use of force policy and law. I am unaware of any such legal immunity for LEOs. Please share references to statutory or case law that grants LEOs immunity from prosecution or civil liability for the negligent or reckless discharge of a firearm. It wasn't hard to find this 2016 case of an NYC cop successfully prosecuted for "the negligent discharge death of a innocent citizen". The CA cop mentioned in the same article was also successfully prosecuted.

I am not as well-versed in the law regarding non-LEO use of force but my understanding is that if you acted reasonably during a lawful self-defense situation you would not ordinarily be charged with and/or convicted of reckless or negligent discharge. Of course, it you have evidence to the contrary then please share it. Thanks.

My background is in LEO use of force policy and law. I am unaware of any such legal immunity for LEOs. Please share references to statutory or case law that grants LEOs immunity from prosecution or civil liability for the negligent or reckless discharge of a firearm. It wasn't hard to find this 2016 case of a cop successfully prosecuted for "the negligent discharge death of a innocent citizen".

I am not as well-versed in the law regarding non-LEO use of force but my understanding is that if you acted reasonably during a lawful self-defense situation you would not ordinarily be charged with and/or convicted of reckless or negligent discharge. Of course, it you have evidence to the contrary then please share it. Thanks.
When a law enforcement officer shoots an inordinate amount of rounds where do all those bullets go - rarely if ever do the majority of the rounds hit the intended target - who accounts for those rounds that missed said target. What happens when a bystander gets hit by one of those rounds. The officer is not responsible it gets blamed on the action of the individual that gets shot.

My background is in LEO use of force policy and law. I am unaware of any such legal immunity for LEOs. Please share references to statutory or case law that grants LEOs immunity from prosecution or civil liability for the negligent or reckless discharge of a firearm. It wasn't hard to find this 2016 case of an NYC cop successfully prosecuted for "the negligent discharge death of a innocent citizen". The CA cop mentioned in the same article was also successfully prosecuted.

Liang, who was convicted in February of manslaughter and official misconduct in the shooting death of an unarmed black man in 2014, was sentenced Tuesday to five years of probation and community service after the judge in the case reduced his conviction from manslaughter to criminally negligent homicide moments before ...Apr 19, 2016

Liang never spent any time in jail for the manslaughter - any civilian would certainly be sent away for shooting someone accidently with a gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top