JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And this is asked by a supposedly intelligent doctor who has no doubt had to treat many innocent victims of crime?

Looking at it from a little different perspective .... The doc's question could be taken as "what in the heck is this guy on (as in crack, meth, PCP) that kept him going after 14 bullet holes"?

the head shots finally did it, very unusual case. center mass shots may not work. extremities and head may be more debilitating and painful.

The bad guy did something I always reccomend, close the distance. It unnerves the crap out of somebody, the officer was incredibly lucky.

PCP Is about the only thing that would keep someone going like that, but very doubtful with a 45. Unless it was 14 squib loads.
Some pacific islanders used to tourniquet themselves up to keep fighting if they were hit to stop from bleeding out and even they could not stand up to half that number of hits from a 45ACP.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

His dominant emotion throughout his brush with death, he recalls, was "feeling very alone, with no one to help me but myself."

Maybe because he was in Skokie, Ill? None of those homeowners that lived on that street were allowed to be armed.

The story fails to mention that the officer cant hit crap, qualifies once a year, and often fires 40 rounds at suspects while he raids the wrong house, only striking the family pet twice. All to 'atta-boys' from fellow officers for a job well done and cudos from command for exercising officer safety SOP.

The story fails to mention that the officer cant hit crap, qualifies once a year, and often fires 40 rounds at suspects while he raids the wrong house, only striking the family pet twice. All to 'atta-boys' from fellow officers for a job well done and cudos from command for exercising officer safety SOP.
Oh?! :(

The big difference is that as a civilian - I am responsible for where every single round I shoot goes. As a LEO he is not and if sued he has a complete legal team behind him.

Do not forget the union backup.
Uhh that would be the legal team

And my buddy that carries a 1911 with no back up mag,says you only need 1 shot!
When you tell people that you wouldn't carry a 380 and they ask 'well you want to get shot by it?',they for get when a guy is amped up on drugs or in this case by adrenalin,bullets may not have the same result as with that medium that Brass Fetcher shoots.
Heck I carry a 45 when I do carry,maybe I'm gunna start carrying my 10mm everywhere

And I like the story Masaad Ayob? wrote about going to get milk and grabbed his 5 shot 38.Well he didn't feel so safe after a guy with a shotgun and his partner with a semi auto pistol showed up to rob the store.
Carried his sig 226 and extra mags from then on.

14 / 33 rounds fired is pretty damn good hit ratio when the adrenaline is flowing. I'm having a hard time with the math from the article regarding round count though - he carried a Glock 21 - 13 rounds / mag, plus one to top off puts him at an even 40 rounds. Then it said he carried a Glock 26 back up with 10 rounds in it. That'd make 50 rounds, not 46. Even if he didn't top off the primary - that'd be 49 rounds. Was he down-loading every .45 mag by one round?

I can understand even changing up to a higher capacity 9mm if you felt under-gunned, but 145 rounds on body seems pretty damn excessive. And having the AR and the shotgun did nothing for him in his previous confrontation - and had he gone for the shotgun vs drawing the Glock, he might've wound up dead anyway. Every situation is obviously different, but I'm not sure how having his AR up front vs in the trunk would've made a difference at all in this case.

I remember reading an article on this shooting a few years ago, I think Mas Ayoob covered it, because there were photos of the crime scene, including pix of the perps blood covered guns - if I remember correctly, one of those .45 rounds from the cops' gun struck the Bersa and damaged it.

I'm glad no bystanders were hurt in that gun fight. With a 1/2 hit ratio though - I'm not so sure that would've been the same, had he unloaded 100 or 120 or 140+ rounds at the bad guy, especially if some of those were rifle rounds.

I'm still trying to figure how a guy with that many .45 rounds stuck in him in major organs fought back.

It ain't like TV, humans are actually pretty tough to kill. Unless you manage to kill the brain, or disconnect it from the spine a "highly motivated" person can keep going for longer than you would think they could, even if their pump station gets blown out.

Damn that's crazy. It didn't really speak of how far away he was though. Sounds like 14/33 isn't that bad. minus the shots fired through the windshield which u wouldn't really have a great sight picture after the first shot, and the shots he tries to skip into the assailant. So minus around 10-12 misses there and u get roughly a 66% hit ratio. Pretty good under a quick reaction situation like that. Still I think more ammo in that amount is crazy. He still had a mag and a half left

I remember watching some cop thing on the tube and a cop had a guy pulled over.
They were going at it toe to toe and the cop pulled his .40 and blasted the guy several times in the chest.
Dude took the gun away from the cop and started to beat him with it and then chased him down the street.
When they took him down they walked him to the car.
It was later determined that he was not on drugs or booze, just pissed off. And he survived.

It ain't like TV, humans are actually pretty tough to kill. Unless you manage to kill the brain, or disconnect it from the spine a "highly motivated" person can keep going for longer than you would think they could, even if their pump station gets blown out.
-
( NOT like TV ) +1 .. for pistol firefights with bullets fired and distance . like usual the TV is over exaggerated sensationalism . . I think the Fed. Statistics I read once said the average was, 3 to 12 feet in distance and was average time less than 4-sec. from start to finish .

Miami Police Shooting Frenzy Revealed: 377 Shots Fired By 23 Cops At 2 Men In Car...

The shooting occurred back in December.

"On December 10, more than two dozen police officers from across Miami Dade County converged on a blue Volvo that had crashed in the backyard of a townhouse on 65th Street just off 27th Avenue.

As the car was wedged helplessly between a light pole and a tree, nearly a minute passed before officers opened up – firing approximately 50 bullets at the car and the two unarmed men inside the vehicle.

The two men inside the car survived that initial volley of gunfire, according to witnesses, who said they could see the men moving inside the Volvo. Everything went quiet for nearly two minutes before the officers opened up a second time – unleashing an unrelenting torrent of bullets that lasted almost 25 seconds. By the time it was over, the two men inside the car were dead.

CBS4 News has learned a total of 23 officers fired a total of at least 377 rounds."

On Average that would be a mag each (assuming Glock 17rders)

"Bullets were sprayed everywhere. They hit the Volvo, other cars in the lot, fence posts and neighboring businesses. They blasted holes in a townhouse where a 12-year-old dove to the ground for cover and a four month old slept in his crib."

CBS news investigation concludes:
"The nature of the shooting suggests the officers lost sight of their own training and that the officers, caught up in the heat of the moment, failed to listen to their radios or coordinate their actions endangering not only their own lives but the lives of the public."

Official reviews will likely take years to complete.

Read the whole report:
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/05/06/police-shooting-frenzy-raises-concerns/

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews