JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you think every citizen should be afforded a gun by the government, and training?

• Total voters
And it evolved by people putting in their opinions. Everyone helped me to mold a more substantial idea of a public service. Thanks for that by the way!

That does not answer my question...
Is this a "Brainstorm" for "solutions" and ideas...or
A thread about the government "affording" a gun and training to US citizens...?
Andy

In deed the federal government is and had been in the business of providing arms and training to the citizenry of the United States via the Civilian Marksman Program, formerly the Director of Civilian Marksmanship. Of course participation is entirely voluntary, but I would certainly like to see expand, offer more surplus arms (M14s to be specific) and DoD support returned to former levels.

We need to become the nation of riflemen our ancestors were.

In deed the federal government is and had been in the business of providing arms and training to the citizenry of the United States via the Civilian Marksman Program, formerly the Director of Civilian Marksmanship. Of course participation is entirely voluntary, but I would certainly like to see expand, offer more surplus arms (M14s to be specific) and DoD support returned to former levels.

Yes!

This I can agree with ^^^

Returning to a nation of riflemen as our ancestors were sounds pretty solid to me...

Returning to a nation of riflemen as our ancestors were sounds pretty solid to me...

It sounds amazing....but a generation where feelings beat facts will never allow us to go backwards. Sorry guys, that's the truth.

It sounds amazing....but a generation where feelings beat facts will never allow us to go backwards. Sorry guys, that's the truth.

No, it isn't the truth. It's absolutely possible to bring this kind of education back to the fore. Saying something will never happen is ignoring a lot of possibilities with hard work to move a good program forward.

No, it isn't the truth. It's absolutely possible to bring this kind of education back to the fore. Saying something will never happen is ignoring a lot of possibilities with hard work to move a good program forward.

Well, you seem to know more than most of us. Remember wood shop? Welding class? Where did those go? You really think they along with firearms training will come back, especially in today's environment? Hah. Sure. I'm totally wrong here. :rolleyes:

As romantic as that sounds, the video game generation is far more dangerous today than any rifleman. Guys that sit in air conditioned offices in Creach Nevada operating powerful weaponized drones anywhere in the world are the future.

Well, you seem to know more than most of us. Remember wood shop? Welding class? Where did those go? You really think they along with firearms training will come back, especially in today's environment? Hah. Sure. I'm totally wrong here. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you're wrong, but it isn't an infallible truth. I think if we work hard we can make America a much more gun friendly nation. Something I very much support.

So is this thread a "brainstorm" for "solutions" and ideas ...or as the Poll states...
A thread about the government affording a gun and training to US citizens...?

Those are two vastly different topics.
Andy

My bad. I actually didn't even notice there was a poll attached to this. I just started reading the thread. I reflexively don't do polls in general anyway. I noted early on that I'm not for gov providing everyone a gun. The education part had merit though. I took the OP as "how 'bought we do this?" which to my engineer brain is to open a discussion. OK, part of that isn't good, part of it make me think of this....

I don't think it should be so dangerous to inartfully state something and not be able to refine and adjust the original thought. Call it backpedaling if you like. Like others, I'm not in favor of another government program but if we're going to come down so hard on that aspect of the proposal, why leave out all the other public education we pay for? Let's condemn that too (with some justification IMO).

I like the idea of firearms education. Voluntary would be best, but objections to mandatory sex ed don't seem to get a hearing so why not mandatory firearms education?

My bad. I actually didn't even notice there was a poll attached to this. I just started reading the thread. I reflexively don't do polls in general anyway. I noted early on that I'm not for gov providing everyone a gun. The education part had merit though. I took the OP as "how 'bought we do this?" which to my engineer brain is to open a discussion. OK, part of that isn't good, part of it make me think of this....

I don't think it should be so dangerous to inartfully state something and not be able to refine and adjust the original thought. Call it backpedaling if you like. Like others, I'm not in favor of another government program but if we're going to come down so hard on that aspect of the proposal, why leave out all the other public education we pay for? Let's condemn that too (with some justification IMO).

I like the idea of firearms education. Voluntary would be best, but objections to mandatory sex ed don't seem to get a hearing so why not mandatory firearms education?

Well at least you answered my question...thanks
Andy

No, it isn't the truth.It's absolutely possible to bring this kind of education back to the fore. Saying something will never happen is ignoring a lot of possibilities with hard work to move a good program forward.

You told me I was wrong here

I don't know if you're wrong, but it isn't an infallible truth. I think if we work hard we can make America a much more gun friendly nation. Something I very much support.

Then back peddled here.

Can you, for once, NOT contradict yourself in your posts?

The pussification of America is sadly something I think can't be stopped by anyone.

Can you, for once, NOT contradict yourself in your posts?

I'm not. Saying something is the truth generally means it's an infallible fact that won't change. I don't believe that to be the case in the current discussion. Admitting that you may not be wrong that our current generation might have troubles learning this new skill isn't a contradiction. I can say your words are hyperbolic, and agree that your opinion (not as a truth) could be right too. But as I said I think with a lot of hard work we can change how America sees guns as a majority.

And as far as "pussification", I think it's too early to tell, and things change quick.

Well according to Liberals, the answer is yes. If healthcare is a right and the government is supposed to provide it...if education is a right and the government is supposed to provide it...just imagine what the government should do on a right that is actually enumerated in the BoR like 2A.

And no, I don't really believe that the Government should provide a free gun and training. But I do think that anything that has to do with a key right should not be taxed (ie no sales tax on guns). And given that I think the very idea of a gun permit is unconstitutional, I don't think citizens should have to pay for them. Nor should there be any other financial barriers to exercising a key right beyond the simple cost of the weapon and ammunition. Damn sure no ammo taxes like Seattle does.

Well according to Liberals, the answer is yes. If healthcare is a right and the government is supposed to provide it...if education is a right and the government is supposed to provide it...just imagine what the government should do on a right that is actually enumerated in the BoR like 2A.

And no, I don't really believe that the Government should provide a free gun and training. But I do think that anything that has to do with a key right should not be taxed (ie no sales tax on guns). And given that I think the very idea of a gun permit is unconstitutional, I don't think citizens should have to pay for them. Nor should there be any other financial barriers to exercising a key right beyond the simple cost of the weapon and ammunition. Damn sure no ammo taxes like Seattle does.
Well, if Uncle Sam is buying, I'll take a Barrett .50 please :rolleyes:

I believe if you sign up and enlist into the US military you get a free gun, living status provided, health care, fitness training, nutrition, insurance for you and immediate family, training of said firearms and many more aside from your standard AR as well as personal growth training thru hands on experience.

If enlisting isnt for you then there is also:

Purchasing your own gun
Training with said gun, taking hunters safety and CHL class etc
Working a stable job to support said activity
Budgeting yourself to live within your means, also applies to said gun and training.
Encouraging others to join you who show interest.
Voting to ensure people protect yours and your national interests.

Failing both of these im sure relocating to places that hand out weapons like candy would be a good start but im sure by doing that you renounce your US citizenship and possibly livelyhood.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads