JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There seem to have been many recent stabbing incidents.

May 19. Federal Way (near Seattle). <broken link removed>

May 21. Portland. <broken link removed>

May 23. Corvallis. <broken link removed>

May 26. Portland. <broken link removed>

May 26. Kenmore (near Seattle). <broken link removed>

May 26. Seattle. <broken link removed>

Knives aren't an easy sell, they're too simple, everybody knows what a knife is, how it works, and what it can do. You can't play on the fear of the unknown, or spout a bunch of BS about them to scare people.

Most people don't know much about guns, and are easily mislead into fear about them. Easy target for personal or political gain.

It is pretty simple really; knives are a close range weapon, as in just a few feet, so they pose very little threat to the power of those who want guns banned. In short, a totalitarian gov. regime would laugh at a revolt where the only weapon the revolutionaries had was a knife, or a club.

Besides that, the laws on carrying of knives are already more restrictive than those regarding carrying firearms. Most urban areas that have such laws, and even OR state law, have restrictions on the size and type of knife you can carry concealed, and no way to get a permit to allow carry of such knives.

Guns on the other hand - not only are they a threat to the PTB, and a threat to any LE or military forces loyal to them, but a threat that can be applied at a distance.

Such people don't care about knives because they usually are not in a position to be exposed to a knife threat, and therefore are not threatened by them.

That and they know that a knife is so much easier to make almost anywhere out of almost anything, even in prison, that they know simple possession laws would be totally ineffective, so they concentrate on carry laws, which, as I said, are already in effect.

I went to Washington DC years ago on business and hung around a few extra days to see the sights. The wife and I are standing in line to get in the National Archives and see the Constitution.... which is so faded you can't even really read it anymore by the way. At any rate , I get close to the entrance and you have to go through a metal detector and of course empty your pockets. There are mobs of school kids standing around when I empty my pockets. I of course left my Kahr at home, but I am carrying a Swiss pocket knife.... Not a huge one, just one of the modest smaller models with a few tools and a small blade on it. I grew up in a time when it was a rite of passage to get your first pocket knife...it meant you were a man. I still carry one to this day and use it for SOMETHING at least once a day... its a tool to me....during Christmas present opening, everyone wants to borrow my knife to cut tape or whatever... anyway I empty my pockets including my little knife and there is a collective gasp around me and I hear some of the kids say "he's got a knife!".....I actually look around ready to take defensive evasive action when I realized they were talking about ME!
The guards very solemnly take my knife and open it in a separate location to measure the blade... they spend like 5 minutes in this activity and finally hand it back to me saying that the blade is 1/4 in length under the confiscation length, which is probably because of the number of times it's been sharpened....
All of this to say, don't underestimate the liberal lefts ability to install fear about knives... when I can cause that much commotion with a 3" bladed swiss army knife, imagine the reaction of pulling out much locking blade 6" Buck knife.... they probably would have shot me dead right then and there.:eek:

I empty my pockets including my little knife and there is a collective gasp around me and I hear some of the kids say "he's got a knife!".....I actually look around ready to take defensive evasive action when I realized they were talking about ME!
The guards very solemnly take my knife and open it in a separate location to measure the blade... they spend like 5 minutes in this activity and finally hand it back to me saying that the blade is 1/4 in length under the confiscation length, which is probably because of the number of times it's been sharpened....
All of this to say, don't underestimate the liberal lefts ability to install fear about knives... when I can cause that much commotion with a 3" bladed swiss army knife, imagine the reaction of pulling out much locking blade 6" Buck knife.... they probably would have shot me dead right then and there.:eek:

one of the fallacies of gun control is that in countries with strict gun control laws, violence is almost zero. The lie here is "knife violence" soared in replacement and the lawful citizens are still disarmed. Even here in America the laws and difficulties of carrying a gun leave an overwhelming majority defenseless, none of the stories the OP shared had anyone equipped to defend themselves against a knife attack. (its also worth noting the restrictive knife laws TheHeretic pointed out)

Simply because the enemies of our Nation and Constitution go after the foundations of our Great Republic. Guns as specifically mentioned in the Second Amendment are first. Then probably the other amendments in line. The First Amendment will be saved for last.

Edged weapons will enter into the eventual desired ban of all means of the citizenry to physically resist a tyrannical government.

Last time I was in the local social security office the security guard made me make several trips back to my car to stash my many tools, last thing I had to get rid of was the 6LN vise grips I carry for work
I told him a pen could kill as easily, damn pussies

That is strange. My last trip to the Social Security office North North East of Medford Oregon, the security man was asking everyone who was going inside if they had any weapons. I told him yes and that I had a carry permit to do so and he just smiled and said go on in. But this was about 6-8 years ago.

Can the Social Security Office legally prohibit weapons? Dunno. Gray area?

So there I was...
Headed into our local Social Security Office.
As I enter the younger guard asked if I had any guns , "No" was my reply ... "Do you have any weapons?"
I did say I had a pocket knife. ( At the time it was a Opinel No.7 )
The Older guard says: "Sorry sir , we'll have to keep it during your visit , sign here for the receipt and pick it up on the way out."
No problem and seems painless ... But wait...

The younger guard looks at my knife and says : "Cool!" He then proceeds to open the blade ...
Before I could say : " Hey watch it , its sharp!" ... He runs his thumb across the blade. :eek:
Thinking but not saying : "Way to go dumbazz!:mad: " I watch as his thumb does a very accurate impression of Mt.Vesuvius....
The older guard then hurries me along my way.

After a bit and my business done I go to reclaim my knife.
Looking around as I sign for my knife back I do not see the younger guard.
Where is "Boy Wonder?" I ask...
The Older guard laughs and says he had to go get stitches....
"You'll have to excuse him" , he said , "He is a young kid and hasn't seen a real knife like yours before."
The older guard went on to say that the kid is kinda like Barney Fife and they only issue one bullet for his Glock as well....:D
Andy

I went to Washington DC years ago on business and hung around a few extra days to see the sights. The wife and I are standing in line to get in the National Archives and see the Constitution.... which is so faded you can't even really read it anymore by the way. At any rate , I get close to the entrance and you have to go through a metal detector and of course empty your pockets. There are mobs of school kids standing around when I empty my pockets. I of course left my Kahr at home, but I am carrying a Swiss pocket knife.... Not a huge one, just one of the modest smaller models with a few tools and a small blade on it. I grew up in a time when it was a rite of passage to get your first pocket knife...it meant you were a man. I still carry one to this day and use it for SOMETHING at least once a day... its a tool to me....during Christmas present opening, everyone wants to borrow my knife to cut tape or whatever... anyway I empty my pockets including my little knife and there is a collective gasp around me and I hear some of the kids say "he's got a knife!".....I actually look around ready to take defensive evasive action when I realized they were talking about ME!

Yep, Christmas before last I gave my grandson a Swiss Army Knife, his first!
Don't close it on your finger, cut away from you, it is not a throwing knife (we can do that at my house) and DO NOT TAKE IT TO SCHOOL!!! Year and a half later still all good! :)
When my granddaughter left for her station in Bahrain, I gave her a somewhat more lengthy and substantial USA made Kershaw spring assist blade!:cool:

Last Edited:

London is like that. Buddies got a pocket knife I had gifted him confiscated. Didn't seem to slow down the nutjobi who attacked parliament

Last time I was in the local social security office the security guard made me make several trips back to my car to stash my many tools, last thing I had to get rid of was the 6LN vise grips I carry for work
I told him a pen could kill as easily, damn pussies
I was going in to Lincoln City wine and seafood fest when I ran into security guards who wouldn't be caught dead without a political kettle knife or two, they were taking everyone's knives before entry. They offered to hold mine for me. I refused.

one of the fallacies of gun control is that in countries with strict gun control laws, violence is almost zero. The lie here is "knife violence" soared in replacement and the lawful citizens are still disarmed. Even here in America the laws and difficulties of carrying a gun leave an overwhelming majority defenseless, none of the stories the OP shared had anyone equipped to defend themselves against a knife attack. (its also worth noting the restrictive knife laws TheHeretic pointed out)

Too true, back when I was young, strong, quick and purrdy I was armed even if I only had a knife! Nowadays, I still have the knife but it's usefulness is certainly suspect! :(

I was going in to Lincoln City wine and seafood fest when I ran into security guards who wouldn't be caught dead without a political kettle knife or two, they were taking everyone's knives before entry. They offered to hold mine for me. I refused.

What the heck? Am I understanding that you refused their offer and they still let you in?
If that's the case, why did they offer to hold your knife? Was it a friendly gesture, to protect you in case you suddenly went mad and ran amok? Weird! o_O

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews