JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I made a promise to myself never to bad mouth another persons choice in guns. I broke it once, but have been good since.

A lot of people bad mouth my Tanfoglios, but I have had nothing but pleasure with them - 5 total and one is a EAA Witness Steel Compact.

As far as 1911's, I have a AMT Hardballer that runs like a top. Who would have thought?
Yeah, that's not something I'm prone to do. Why burst a guy's bubble if he likes something?

I've looked at Tangfoglios and liked what I saw, never owned one. Thought about one in 10mm when I was doing those. It came down to having too many guns at the time already or I would've gotten one.

I had a couple of AMT hardballers in the 1980's. I bought them from someone who needed money and fast. I didn't shoot them extensively but they worked fine when shot.

You mean like this…
1229918-2e73b3fe293136b37a6bd3546ef2e493.jpg
External extractor? You mean like a Star Model B? Which I've owned two or three of over the years, never broke one.

Kimber. I've never owned one. Yet. Only because I was always happy enough with what I already had and or knew. Which was mostly Colt. I've owned one SAI in 40 S&W, it was fine. Then there were a few that were less than fine, like one from the Philippines and a couple from a former well-known submachine gun maker. When I might've been in the market for a Kimber, it seemed that they were always a little more expensive than a Colt of comparable capabilities. That may have also held me back. However, the number of Kimbers sold kinda speaks for itself.

I'm not a bot. Kimbers seem to be either loved or hated with not much in between.
I drooled over a Kimber 84L Montana. My wife, not knowing the difference between an 8400 and an 84L, bought me an 8400 Montana. It should have been almost perfect, especially for the amount of money she spent on it.
It wouldn't consistently feed. It just wouldn't.
When sent back to Kimber (on my dime!) with pictures and detailed notes, they fixed the two cosmetic flaws and said it functioned fine. It didn't.
That's why I don't like Kimbers. At least S&W and Ruger FIX their mistakes.

Customer service is HUGE to me. Not taking another chance on Kimber.

That they have a "custom shop".
Did you want a gold plated one and they said no?
If a few of their best craftsmen finish a select set of guns, that constitutes a custom shop.
I have a "Custom Shop" and had a CDP II. The difference in build quality is readily apparent.
Still, my custom shop is not even in league with my buddy's Ed Brown, but we both shoot ragged hole targets.

Edited to add: that I was was living in Clackamas when the change from Kimber of Oregon happened. Lots of pretty scummy things around that then like people showing up for work and being met by the foreman and having a casual conversation until the shift started and then being told to go to the office only to be told they were fired for being late for work. No warning, just you're late, you're fired here's you paycheck and there's the door.
If that is a company you want to support go for it. Not me. Couple that with a reputation for very poor customer service and paying extra for the fancy name font over other other manufacturers and you get a hard no from me.

Last Edited:
Alright now....
Please back off the burner a bit and not roast the new guy .

I understand that this thread as well as some of the comments in others are a little iffy...
That however does not make for Open Season on someone.
Andy

Kimber makes and sells a TON of pistols every year. Mass produce that many guns and now and then a lemon slips past the control. So the mass of people who get one that just works don't run to the net to tell the world. The poor guy who pays good money and gets one that will not work? He is very likely to tell anyone and everyone the entire line sucks. Many may remember a magazine called Gun Tests. They had a good idea, they did NOT have the capitol to make it work. They went out and bought guns, 1 at a time. Ran a test. If the one they happened to get had "issues" they pronounced the entire line as "don't buy". This does nothing. I tried the magazine a couple times but I gave up. One of the last ones I got was on home defense shotguns. They tested a Win 1300, a Rem 870, and a Mossy 500. The Mossy had feed issues so they gave the entire line a "Do Not Buy". At the time, pre net, I had to think to myself how many thousands of Mossy 500's are out there that just work? Kimber is no different. Buy one and damn good chance it will just work. If its a 1911 and it does not work? Chances are real good someone who knows what the hell they are doing can EASILY fix it. Now this does not make the guy who got one that did not work feel any better but, it is what it is.

I'm suspicious anymore of low post count, non supporting members, who come in asking silly redundant questions, not doing their due diligence prior, then dropping off the planet. Seems like we might learn not to take too seriously, what seems like a child from the left playing in the forbidden field. Assault Rifle from San Francisco? Hmmm

Discuss...
I agree with you - BUT ... these threads ARE a lot of fun. You really get to know the old-timers.😆

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews