JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To accurately diagnose a jam, one needs to know exactly the position of the round when the jam occurs.

I've seen quite a few posts about jams on multiple type of guns, I always ask...next time it happens, post a pic so we can see at what point of the cycle it is happening.

I needed some time out of the house today so, headed to the range. I wanted to try out some new carry ammo that was 150gr JHP. They are made by Dynamic Research Technologies. I usually like my .45KED a little heavier but, these seemed to do well. I used my Ultra Carry II named "Rocket" because...well, you know...KIMBER!:D Also shot some 230gr FMJ and put about 225 down the pipe today without a sigle hiccup. Also shot the daily carry G43 just to stay on my game and those were on a different target.

@24ft according to my range finder.

thumbnail_20240206_105443.jpg

First 7 using the self defense ammo. 6 in orange and I pulled the last one.

thumbnail_20240206_105742.jpg

Drawing from the holster

thumbnail_20240206_110253.jpg
thumbnail_20240206_110705.jpg
thumbnail_20240206_111714.jpg

Okay, back on topic guys....I decided in January 2011 that every man needed a "1911". I'd never handled or shot one until we went into some shops to get info and some experience with that platform. I didn't dink around for more than a couple weeks and ended up with a generic, nothing fancy, Kimber Stainless II. I probably have somewhere around 8-9 hundred flawless rounds through that gun, and don't recall ever having an issue. That's the first gun I started loading for. IF, I were on my game at the range (Johnson Creek GC) I could get groups just under 2 inches at 50'. To me, that means someone with better stance, grip, trigger control would be able to do that good or better.
And something else? We decided to get a 1911 in 9mm for us to share. Got a Springfield Ronin. Total crap trigger compared to the Kimber.
I went to Johnson Creek for years!

It's been a while now but the first and all the rest of the jams went something like this: I'm on range. Two loaded clips. I begin to fire. 3-4 shots, then jam. The jam was the bullet did not go into the chamber and the slide was open b/c the bullet didn't load. Never happened to me before with any other gun I have. So I carefully brought the slide back being very careful to point the gun downrange and dislodged the live round. After everything was safe, I pulled the clip and looked to see if somehow I didn't load correctly. Compared to all of you here I am not and was not as knowledgeable as all of you. But, it seemed that everything was in line and firmly in place. I can't remember if the first box of 50 went through okay. It certainly was very accurate. And it has the red laser in the handle and I liked that because the sites, front or rear have no white dots or anything. But I haven't fired it in many years and don't feel confident to carry it until it's looked at. If Kimber doesn't stand behind their guns I'm amazed. This was my first .45

It's been a while now but the first and all the rest of the jams went something like this: I'm on range. Two loaded clips. I begin to fire. 3-4 shots, then jam. The jam was the bullet did not go into the chamber and the slide was open b/c the bullet didn't load. Never happened to me before with any other gun I have. So I carefully brought the slide back being very careful to point the gun downrange and dislodged the live round. After everything was safe, I pulled the clip and looked to see if somehow I didn't load correctly. Compared to all of you here I am not and was not as knowledgeable as all of you. But, it seemed that everything was in line and firmly in place. I can't remember if the first box of 50 went through okay. It certainly was very accurate. And it has the red laser in the handle and I liked that because the sites, front or rear have no white dots or anything. But I haven't fired it in many years and don't feel confident to carry it until it's looked at. If Kimber doesn't stand behind their guns I'm amazed. This was my first .45
That really does sound like a mag problem, like the round "nose dived".

That really does sound like a mag problem, like the round "nose dived".
The round was on an angle with the back of the round higher than the nose. Both were the new mags that came with the gun. So I'll go to the gun shop in Sandy and see if they have mags for a Kimber .45 I've never been in that gun shop before so I don't know what they carry. If that doesn't solve the issue then I'll have it looked at. Or do I just contact Kimber and get two new mags? Although it hasn't been fired since 2013 it was a brand new gun purchase! Thank you for your input.

The round was on an angle with the back of the round higher than the nose. Both were the new mags that came with the gun. So I'll go to the gun shop in Sandy and see if they have mags for a Kimber .45 I've never been in that gun shop before so I don't know what they carry. If that doesn't solve the issue then I'll have it looked at. Or do I just contact Kimber and get two new mags? Although it hasn't been fired since 2013 it was a brand new gun purchase! Thank you for your input.
Make sure it's clean and well lubed.
A buddy of mine had a mag that did what (I think) you're describing. He opened up the front of the feed lips just a couple thousandths and it ran a lot better after that.

Sir, that is the description of a "nose dive". Almost always (almost) that's a magazine caused issue. Issues like what @NeoBlackdog described above.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews