JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
sometimes i wish i was an illegal immigrant/undocumented worker. then i would not have to pay 28% federal tax, 9% oregon state tax. and also could buy all the guns i wanted on the grey market of newspaper sales and private party sales. ( this is sarcasm) ;)

Well if your looking at this from a true constitutional perspective, the constitution acknowledges not gives, basic human rights. That is why they are "Natural Rights" not "American" rights. Not saying that illegals should be spoon fed all the benefits of our country. They need to do things legally so that they can be accepted into a nation that acknowledges these basic rights. Countries like the U.K. have not taken these rights, they just don't allow their citizens to exercise the rights that where given to them by their creator. Just my 2 pennys.

The question posed was "Why do illegal immigrants believe they have the same rights as US citizens?"

In my opinion it is because we allow it. We, as citizens who vote (if you are legal to vote and don't then you should just shut up, IMO), enable this to continue. We are the enablers. We continue to vote in Liberals who believe it is OK to allow these people to come here illegally, stay here, and then reward them for doing so with state funded benefits. MY TAX DOLLARS. YOUR TAX DOLLARS.

Collectively, it is our fault this is happening. We can gripe about it all we want but until we come together it will certainly continue and will likely get worse.

Fortunately the question limits itself to the Constitution and Federal law. As such, all people (legal or not) have the same rights when in the U.S. What illegals do not have are the same privileges. They do not have the privilege of purchasing a firearm from a licensed dealer, because of the question on form 4473. In states with unregulated private party sales (my preference, btw), they can buy from any private party willing to sell to them. Beyond firearms, any privileges they are given are because the authorities either don't ask or it is specifically prohibited from asking or specifically allowed by regulation. IMO, people in this country are entitled to the rights (because we are the good guys), but should not have access to any of the privileges. If they want both, they can go home then come back legally.

elsie

The question posed was "Why do illegal immigrants believe they have the same rights as US citizens?"

In my opinion it is because we allow it. We, as citizens who vote (if you are legal to vote and don't then you should just shut up, IMO), enable this to continue. We are the enablers. We continue to vote in Liberals who believe it is OK to allow these people to come here illegally, stay here, and then reward them for doing so with state funded benefits. MY TAX DOLLARS. YOUR TAX DOLLARS.

Collectively, it is our fault this is happening. We can gripe about it all we want but until we come together it will certainly continue and will likely get worse.

It's not our fault they get all those benefits.

When I lived in CA there were two major topics on the ballots.

Gay marriage was a huge success when we voted and then reversed by a judge. The people of CA won by a large margin like 70%.

Also when we voted for no free medical to illegals that also won with a very large margin but again a judge in San Fran reversed that too.

That's how much our voice matters. In a state with almost 40 million people and over half voted and it was about 70/30 vote for stop giving free medical.

It sucks that one person has the power to wipe out 100 of thousands votes and reverse it.

I left CA in 05 and the state paid out over $600 million that year for only health for illegals.

They also paid over 100's of millions for things like welfare, education, plus many other things.

But when millions vote and and one judge can cancel all of our votes really just makes me sick and it sucks.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

They don't even have the rights to be here in the first place. They believe that, once they arrived in this country, they have the rights to live as everybody else. The fact that the Federal Government doesn't enforce the federal immigration law, it doesn't make it ok.

And you actually think that is a rhetorical question? LOL.

What makes you think it was rhetorical? I was expecting a response, and received one.

And I am curious - do you have an opinion on the topic or just prefer to critique the opinion of others?

IMO, the politicians are the root of the problem. We need a goverment that will do two things.
1. Provide a reasonable and obtainable path for a manageable number of immigrants to enter the country legally for work, with an option for permanent residency if certain criteria are met. There are a lot of hard working immigrnts in this country that make positive contributions to society.
2. Make illegal immigration a felony and give law enforcement the means to enforce it.

Policy with teeth. What do you think?

What makes you think it was rhetorical? I was expecting a response, and received one.

And I am curious - do you have an opinion on the topic or just prefer to critique the opinion of others?

IMO, the politicians are the root of the problem. We need a goverment that will do two things.
1. Provide a reasonable and obtainable path for a manageable number of immigrants to enter the country legally for work, with an option for permanent residency if certain criteria are met. There are a lot of hard working immigrnts in this country that make positive contributions to society.
2. Make illegal immigration a felony and give law enforcement the means to enforce it.

Policy with teeth. What do you think?

Government with teeth is the root of all evil in the world.

Just abolish immigration laws and let anyone who wants to work come in. No welfare, no freebies. Problem solved.

My .02, most illegals don't think too hard on the law, and I'm willing to bet a lot of these guys are illiterate anyhow. There is a group of educated leftists taking up their cause and stirring the pot.

Illegals get their guns the same way they get their jobs. Like most illegal activity, it's self-serving, I don't think there's any philosophical angle there. What lawyers may dream up on their behalf, is another matter entirely.

And by the way, whomever said judges have grown too powerful was spot on.

without trying to inject my personal opinion towards illegal immigrants, there have been several examples of laws being passed in certain states, that have been abolished at the federal level as well as being challenged by the A.C.L.U. So kinda makes a person wonder why they even took the time to vote , if the federal is going to over ride the will of the people.

Well if your looking at this from a true constitutional perspective, the constitution acknowledges not gives, basic human rights. That is why they are "Natural Rights" not "American" rights. Not saying that illegals should be spoon fed all the benefits of our country. They need to do things legally so that they can be accepted into a nation that acknowledges these basic rights. Countries like the U.K. have not taken these rights, they just don't allow their citizens to exercise the rights that where given to them by their creator. Just my 2 pennys.

Note that it acknowledges rights for the specific purpose of restricting government regulation of such rights. You may have a right to abuse goats sexually, but the government won't recognize and thus won't allow such activity in any shape or form. Basically from the practical standpoint it doesn't matter what rights you may think you naturally have, it only matters what activities the government does allow. And again, government is not a standalone abstract entity - government is a policy maker for the entire society, and is driven by the will of the society (corruption aside).

I am also an immigrant...a legal immigrant. Like most illegal immigrants, I decided to come here to make better life for my family. The difference is that I followed the law, requirements...waited for years. I understand what others are saying about basic human rights BUT it does not make sense. If a person breaks the law he/she is punished or there will be some unfavorable consequences because of his/her action. If an illegal immigrant does something not according to law some people will justify such action as "they've done it because they are just trying to make a better life for themselves, etc". If illegals are allowed to own firearms, it will appear that they are being rewarded of their actions.

I find it amusing that so many people actually believe that immigration laws are anything more than politicians pandering to nativists, xenophobes and trade-protectionists.

You figure in a forum where so many people treat gun control laws with contempt, they'd be applying the same standard of critical thinking to *all* laws.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads