JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you're looking for real surplus, well, they aren't making them anymore and demand is high.
It's just that people will pay $10-$15 bucks for a refurbished 50can.

You pretty much get them free when you buy bulk .556... if you buy the right stuff.

hahahah @Certaindeaf 's comment. I guess it depends? Maybe because they got popular for crafts such as "Ammo Can Stoves", "Ammo can grills", enclosures for speakers, uses as survival kit caches, geocache containers, safes, or other things?
I'm finding a huge variation of pricing in Oregon.... But I've found that they're trending towards the same prices as retail for brand new cans from Bi Mart and Sportsman's Warehouse....

Some of the best deals are for the weird sized ones..... like the tall mortar cans, which I have been considering for use as camp gear containers; or as recovery gear containers (tow straps, tie downs, etc.
Otherwise..... yeah I guess it depends on where.

If you're looking for real surplus, well, they aren't making them anymore and demand is high.
It's just that people will pay $10-$15 bucks for a refurbished 50can.

Since when are they not making steel ammo cans for the military?

Sorry, when I say "real surplus" I'm referring to ammo cans from the second world war...
I think even the Blackhawk cans are refurbished modern milsurp.
Wait, what. hang on,...what are you saying???
"Real surplus"=WW2 only?
Really?
"Modern milsurp?"

Please tell me what "surplus" means to you, because last I remember, "surplus" meant items left over, or an excess of product..... or items no longer used, and put on the open market.... (See Oregon State Surplus for example....)

I get that the WW2 cans are collectible, but to say that newer items used by the military aren't "real surplus".... it's like saying the transferable military used Colt M16A1/A2s aren't "real surplus" compared to the WW2 M1 Garand :rolleyes:

Please tell me what "surplus" means to you, because last I remember, "surplus" meant items left over, or an excess of product..... or items no longer used, and put on the open market....

I had a surplus girlfriend once, but her hinges started squeeking.
You never know about them fat 50's.

Well, you're right. YA GOT ME!
Surplus is just another way of saying mass produced and in excess of.
I didn't know the military was selling M16's tho, that's news to me! Granted they probably have millions if in storage.
Yeah, I would consider a Garrand milsurp before an M16.
I guess I'm stuck on the GOD's...
I also don't try to dress up like i hang out with gecko45...

Well, you're right. YA GOT ME!
Surplus is just another way of saying mass produced and in excess of.
I didn't know the military was selling M16's tho, that's news to me!
We sold em to Lebanon, Israel, UK, various South American militaried, Mexico, Cartels:rolleyes:, African countries, and so on.... i mean really, we can export M16s to other countries, just not to ordinary U.S. citizens.. although... there ARE surplus M16 kits on the market, and the much vaunted, much expensive M16 lowers have been surplused onto the market before 1986... just after 1986.. they're now very valuable/expensive due to being exclusive.

:rolleyes:
Gecko45 comment :rolleyes: I just find surplus gear works good for their price. I do not buy into the whole "tacticool everything" and go out all decked out in armor, vests, and looking like this :rolleyes:
meal_team_6_operator.jpg 13256657_1773437636225413_994971658_n.jpg

Granted the military have their share of bigguns... FemaleMarine.jpg fat-man-in-camo-cropped.png 815297.jpg koverjenkikatonak02.jpg

And lest you think I'm only posting "modern "examples :rolleyes:
farby2.jpg
cargo1-1.jpg proxy.jpeg c82d5a8a1417b822f3caaa276f249df2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd rather have two trim 25's than a Fat 50.
Wonder if Amazon has 'em ?
Costco for sure. They like to sell you 2 of everything.
Yeah, as for ammo cans I like the 30's, but the 50 cans fit 800round of blazer 9mm in box really well...

@CamoDeafie so as far as you and I are concerned there is no milsurp M16... it's all relative.
I'm not a fan of webbing, or whatever you call it, made after vietnam, it's just uncomfortable and lacks style. ;)
The good thing about older web gear is that is has such an association with outdoor recreation that you can wear it openly without looking like some mall ninja POS.
I am curious as to how those fat dudes found that attite tho, must be refab for costume.

Yeah, as for ammo cans I like the 30's, but the 50 cans fit 800round of blazer 9mm in box really well...

@CamoDeafie so as far as you and I are concerned there is no milsurp M16... it's all relative.
true, but they have been replaced with M4s, so where did all the surplus M16s go..... definitely not on the US civilian market except parts kits :rolleyes:
I'm not a fan of webbing, or whatever you call it, made after vietnam, it's just uncomfortable and lacks style. ;)
have you put the canvas webbing into serious usage, say...in 120% Relative Humidity, and soaking wet, or without a chance to dry them out, and in heat? There's a reason the military, and even the outdoor gear industry, have gone to nylons and polyester blends for most of their items.
canvas and cotton stuff do get mildewed, they rot, they shrink when wet, and are dang near impossible to stretch again after drying shrunken... and they take forever to dry in humid conditions...which is why there's not much canvas web gear in great condition left from WW2-Vietnam. Gear that has not been subject to the same conditions, tend to last better...such as the IDF surplus stuff, or the ME stuff.... Leather seems to last much better than canvas..which is why you can find more leather goods from Yugoslavia than canvas goods..

The good thing about older web gear is that is has such an association with outdoor recreation that you can wear it openly without looking like some mall ninja POS.
I'm kind of offended that wearing woodland=mall ninja... last I heard, mall ninjas were all about the black gear or Multicam :p:p:cool:
I am curious as to how those fat dudes found that attire tho, must be refab for costume.
There's a huge industry for reproduction clothing of the eras' styling......because of these guys. There's also a huge industry of camouflage clothes for the big guys, also because of airsoft, and hunting, and fashion. You however wouldn't catch me wearing woodland cammies in town....... Although I do have some camo from when I played paintball.... There's a reason I don't wear camo 24-7, even though my username is relevant (I like camo..)
Olive green is prevalent in outdoor gear, same with coyote coloring, I've worn a coyote belt kit with tan suspenders for fishing, no one batted an eye...woodland belt kits..... again, no one seems to care. camo backpacks...no one seems to care....

you know what... woodland camo is indeed a fashionable pattern nowadays, so maybe that's why people don't really pay attention to someone wearing woodland gear, unless they have a GUN on them :rolleyes:

Again, I tend to only bring out the woodland gear for camping or hiking, but not for everyday around town thing. I have other stuff for that :)

back on topic... I have a few .30cal boxes, some .50 cal... I like the .50 cal boxes, because they can fit 24 AR mags easily. the .30cal boxes are for my 9mm ammo and cleaning kits.

Even rusty, used cans 150 miles away in Yakima are priced high. Comments?

Depends on how long you look, where and when. ie garage sales, want ads etc etc.

Midway currently has .30 cal ammo cans grade 3 at $5.99. Read the description and take your chances. Link:

Military Surplus Ammo Can 30 Cal Grade 3 - MPN: 30 Cal Can (Gr 3)

They recently had .50 cal surplus grade 3 at $5.99, so I took a chance and ordered some. Free shipping with a coupon & if the order was over $99. Needed some various other incidentals, so tacked on some of the cans.

Got them & I would rate them as grade 1 (yup, seriously). So bought a case, shipped free w/some other incidentals, and same excellent condition. Most are newer surplus, so not the classic yellow lettering, more like a dot matrix printed black paint...but they are cans, with excellent seals.

Maybe that deal will come back on the .50 cal cans, dunno. Don't have much use/need for .30 cal cans.

That's a pretty good price on cans from Midway. I watch their sales, probably didn't notice the two you mentioned. I have found one here and one there at a low price but I don't like to pay $15 for a rusty, dented ammo can.

Since I started this post, I guess it's okay for me to go off the reservation. Those Plus Sizes in uniform, I thought the US military was down on obesity these days, would kick you out if you couldn't shed the weight. Then there is the physical fitness test thing.

I was stationed at Fort Lost in the Woods before I myself went to Vietnam. We got a guy in who weighed about 350 pounds, he was back from Vietnam. He was a cook. He arrived in our company dressed in his greens, that was the only uniform he had that would fit. The quartermaster people on post didn't have fatigues or cook whites big enough so a special order was sent to the quartermaster depot in Philadelphia to have some custom made. He was sent to the hospital for treatment for obesity and ordered to go on a diet. That was way back in 1970; I've heard that the army is way stricter about weight now than they used to be. No so?

I guess it depends really. Some I think like that guy w the Hummvee... re up and volunteer to take jobs no one else wants.. and ends up getting exempted from doing PT because no one else wants to do what he does.. some... like the female Marine.. just.. um.. stay in office all the time.:rolleyes: others... probably National Guard or Reserves.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top