JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Dad would be rolling over in his grave if he saw the condition and prices on those 50 cal ammo cans, I do have about twenty or more actual surplus ammo cans in great shape. Found one in my shop that I had forgotten about for 10 years or so. Opened it to find a small amount of water in the bottom, but no rust - that's a good seal.

The best I purchase now are the Heritage doubles from Costco. Best seals, good welds and heavy construction. Unfortunately they are made in China as are most of the new cans on the market. Blackhawks aren't too bad, but look at the welds in front. Sometimes they don't go to the top and won't make a good seal (also China). Walmart cans are the worst. More than half won't seal and thin steel.

I've heard that the army is way stricter about weight now than they used to be. No so?
I knew two fat Marines... one died on a forced march, the other was hounded mercilessly by the command structure (threatened w Art. 15) , put on reduced rations, and assigned extra PT daily until his weight came into line. That wasn't boot camp either, that was FMF. Out of shape recruits would get sent to PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon aka: Pork Chop Platoon) until they were in good enough shape to start basic training over.

I also knew a couple of body-builders and one potential Olympic strongman (never quite made the cut, AFAIK) who were so massive it threw off their (what we now call) Body Mass Index. They were also (unfairly, imo) hounded and eventually had to get medical waivers to avoid discharge.

I don't see many pudgy servicemen/women but there are some. Fat in camo is not a good look.

Last Edited:
Maybe he thinks $10 per can is high? :rolleyes: I've gotten a couple .50 cal USGI cans for under $10 at the local gun shows here.... Think I paid $10 for two cans once. Might have been just a combo of .50 and .30, not too sure.[/QUOTE
10 for 50 is good . If its cheaper than that i usally by them e
Ven if I don't need them .costco had a 50 ,30 ,, 2 pack on sale for 15 .a couple times . They were good cans .But not GI but close to it.

It hasn't been as far back as the 70's or 80's that used GI ammo cans were typically priced at less than half current asking prices.

We sold em to Lebanon, Israel, UK, various South American militaried, Mexico, Cartels:rolleyes:, African countries, and so on.... i mean really, we can export M16s to other countries, just not to ordinary U.S. citizens.. although... there ARE surplus M16 kits on the market, and the much vaunted, much expensive M16 lowers have been surplused onto the market before 1986... just after 1986.. they're now very valuable/expensive due to being exclusive.

:rolleyes:
Gecko45 comment :rolleyes: I just find surplus gear works good for their price. I do not buy into the whole "tacticool everything" and go out all decked out in armor, vests, and looking like this :rolleyes:
View attachment 503063 View attachment 503064

Granted the military have their share of bigguns... View attachment 503065 View attachment 503066 View attachment 503067 View attachment 503069 View attachment 503070

And lest you think I'm only posting "modern "examples :rolleyes:
View attachment 503071
View attachment 503072 View attachment 503073 View attachment 503068
Fat or not...they serve.

Well, I'm not gonna get them for $3 or $4 apiece like they used to be at the WAC gun show not all that many years ago. I took someone's advice, above, and ordered some from Midway. Some were on sale, free shipping if you order is over $49. That beats driving over to Yakima and back.

I don't know what the fuss is about....

I'd rather have plastic cans. Try are quieter and don't make a banging nose when bumped together.

Stealth is key.

I don't know what the fuss is about....

I'd rather have plastic cans. Try are quieter and don't make a banging nose when bumped together.

Stealth is key.
I've got a couple a plastic ones.. I keep primers in them.
I'd think a plastic one loaded up with ammo would not fare well at all if dropped onto concrete from even just a few feet.

The o rings on the plastic ones just are not the same as the military spec ones. The military based ones are more like a gasket than an o ring.

The plastic also bow under weight when lifted.

I prefer the military style ammo cans for long term storage of tons of things. The plastic ones I use mostly as range ammo cans.

Even rusty, used cans 150 miles away in Yakima are priced high. I have found them at Bi-mart for $16.95 and on sale for $12.95 that's the 50 cal cans here in Sweet Home,Oregon

I might have some insight...
About 18 months ago, i noticed that pallets of the ammo cans starting going for more $$. What would normally run $600-$700 for a pallet of 500 cans, starting going for $2000+. People figured that they could buy them, sell them, and easily make money. What they then found out is that they have to pick them up, haul them, store them, clean them up a little, put them together, and then advertise and sell them, all around their normal schedule.

I figure in another 18 months, we are going to start seeing a lot of ads for people just wanting them gone from their garage, and PLEAE come get them for $1-$2 a piece.

Ive seen this happen a couple of times. The pendulum will swing back the other way.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top