JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if you think the knockout game came from GTA your delusional, the beginnings of it were around as far back as the late 70's, except at that time it was called One-Hitter Quitter, the GTA series wasn't developed until 1997. Maybe the franchise just zipped back 20 years in time to influence some youth of that generation.

Don't suppose you have ever heard of a greaser have you? those were the street gangs of the 1950's, so what video game made them violent? What movie and television did they watch that made them killers.

I'm delusional....yeah, okay.

You know, I'm usually pretty tolerant of ignorance, but tonight I just don't feel in the mood to continue entertaining your dialogue as it has continued to devolve into nonsense. I'd like to engage you in thoughtful conversation, but I don't think you're up to it. I hope and pray that if you have children you wean them off the steady diet of video games you seem to really enjoy and let them experience life outside once in awhile....who knows, maybe they'll even join the military like so many of us have, go through the very training this guy talks about and be able to explain it to you someday?

We can only hope..

I agree that lack of parenting / teaching of morality is a MAJOR factor in kids killing kids. American society has shocking rates of fatherlessness, and literally kids raising kids. And Lt. Col. Grossman does make some valid points.

But blaming video games / TV / movies as the sole, major cause? C'mon... pshhht.

MILLIONS... yes, MILLIONS of kids play video games these days. Girls and boys of all ages. Xboxes, Playstations, iPads, cellphones. If kids playing video games turns every one of them in certified killers, we'd be up to our necks in child homicide.

But we're not.

It's not a simple relationship of cause and effect. Do many kids who kill like playing video games? Yes. Do many kids who lead well-adjusted, average, non-homicidal lives like playing video games? Yes.

Anybody remember how in the 1950s, people blamed COMIC BOOKS for creating social deviants and homicidal killers? Or how people in the 1970s and 1980s thought kids playing DUNGEONS & DRAGONS were creating an army of Satan-worshipping, baby killers? When y'all blame video games as the sole cause of violence, you sound the same as those folks.

Jus' sayin'.

206thsense, Man I was getting lonely. Dang I must be slipping, I forgot about the Comic books and D&D.

Simon, what points have I made that are refutable? any? Have I said a single thing that is wrong, every thing that I have told you is easily verified. Hell I can quote sources if you'd like.

206thsense, Man I was getting lonely. Dang I must be slipping, I forgot about the Comic books and D&D.

Simon, what points have I made that are refutable? any? Have I said a single thing that is wrong, every thing that I have told you is easily verified. Hell I can quote sources if you'd like.

Idahoan,

Just so you know, I'm not in support of banning anything, whether its guns, alcohol, comics, video games ...whatever. I put this thread up today because I believe this guy ( who I have zero affiliation with) makes some sense and has some valid points. If you don't like what he has to say fine.... But what's your alternative? By just saying the guy is a moron and not offering any alternatives makes your posts useless at best, divisive at worst. If we don't come up with any alternatives and options all we do is highlight the fact that killers use guns, so guns must be the source of the problem. Look at the big picture....

So, I see the Lt Col's degree, title and counter with someone who has also been studying this topic for extensive years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM0t2e-eDo4

As humans we like to find reasons for horrible acts. I agree that we should be calling these killings or massacres. Not shootings. The person is a murder, not a shooter or gunman.

The person commits these horrible acts. We didn't ban plane travel after 9/11. We don't take cars after someone decides to run down people in a desperate act to commit suicide with his car. We don't get rid of Tylenol because some maniac puts poison in bottles.

The people commit the acts, not a single firearm ever cared about being punished. They are inanimate objects. It is the person using them that is responsible for their actions.

I'm delusional....yeah, okay.

You know, I'm usually pretty tolerant of ignorance, but tonight I just don't feel in the mood to continue entertaining your dialogue as it has continued to devolve into nonsense. I'd like to engage you in thoughtful conversation, but I don't think you're up to it. I hope and pray that if you have children you wean them off the steady diet of video games you seem to really enjoy and let them experience life outside once in awhile....who knows, maybe they'll even join the military like so many of us have, go through the very training this guy talks about and be able to explain it to you someday?

We can only hope..

Dont pay attention to fools, we all know what is causing the desensitising of violence in society. The occurrence, increase and actions are all related to time of proliferation of the entertainment (sick term) and that cant be hidden. The early ages that kids begin viewing this stuff is a big factor.
Get both of those (video #1 and #2) out to the people you know and make sure every politician gets it a half dozen times. Maybe it will sink in.

Dont pay attention to fools, we all know what is causing the desensitising of violence in society. The occurrence, increase and actions are all related to time of proliferation of the entertainment (sick term) and that cant be hidden. The early ages that kids begin viewing this stuff is a big factor.
Get both of those (video #1 and #2) out to the people you know and make sure every politician gets it a half dozen times. Maybe it will sink in.

except their not increasing, every metric of crime is decreasing. Also, do you know who plays video games? Kids who's parents can afford a video game system that costs $300-$400 + $60 a game. Thats the middle class, yet if you take the crime statistics for America, and strip out the poor, we have one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Mentally ill people have always existed, and from my previous post I have proven that. But the "Zomg veeeedddddeeeeeo games are making murderers!!!!!!!!!!!!!" narrative sells more books and newspapers, and gets you more funding for research that you can then give to the press that "proves" that entertainment "causes" it.

except their not increasing, every metric of crime is decreasing. Also, do you know who plays video games? Kids who's parents can afford a video game system that costs $300-$400 + $60 a game. Thats the middle class, yet if you take the crime statistics for America, and strip out the poor, we have one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Mentally ill people have always existed, and from my previous post I have proven that. But the "Zomg veeeedddddeeeeeo games are making murderers!!!!!!!!!!!!!" narrative sells more books and newspapers, and gets you more funding for research that you can then give to the press that "proves" that entertainment "causes" it.

So, I see you're still arguing your point that violence in the US has nothing to do with visual imagery of any kind.....and you still haven't offered any alternative views either but just continue to argue with those that support the information provided in a factual, concise way. Awesome.
Once upon a time, people actually believed the Earth was flat as well....good thing they didn't have so many emotional naysayers to argue how wrong those guys were.

So, I see you're still arguing your point that violence in the US has nothing to do with visual imagery of any kind.....and you still haven't offered any alternative views either but just continue to argue with those that support the information provided in a factual, concise way. Awesome.
Once upon a time, people actually believed the Earth was flat as well....good thing they didn't have so many emotional naysayers to argue how wrong those guys were.

Based on data, I don't think we have discovered the answer. We may not discover the real answer for decades, or hundreds of years even. For example, based on some research the fall of Rome may have been contributed to massive lead poisoning as they used a huge amount of it for everything. They had no way of knowing that at the time. But I'm sure people had all sorts of reasons why Rome was going batbubblegum insane.

I have no problem searching for answers to questions we don't know the answers too, but sometimes 'We don't know.' is the right answer. It is hard for people to accept that bad things happen. Sometimes there is no reason, it just happens.

But, if you must have a reason. Something to blame for the things wrong in the world. I blame Cthulhu, because until someone disproves that Lord Cthulhu is warping the minds of people it is as valid answer for why people have been being nuts as anything else...

Oh, and btw, keep in mind that violence in the US is actually at a 20 year low... And video games and gun sales are at all time highs...

Based on data, I don't think we have discovered the answer. We may not discover the real answer for decades, or hundreds of years even. For example, based on some research the fall of Rome may have been contributed to massive lead poisoning as they used a huge amount of it for everything. They had no way of knowing that at the time. But I'm sure people had all sorts of reasons why Rome was going batbubblegum insane.

I have no problem searching for answers to questions we don't know the answers too, but sometimes 'We don't know.' is the right answer. It is hard for people to accept that bad things happen. Sometimes there is no reason, it just happens.

But, if you must have a reason. Something to blame for the things wrong in the world. I blame Cthulhu, because until someone disproves that Lord Cthulhu is warping the minds of people it is as valid answer for why people have been being nuts as anything else...

Oh, and btw, keep in mind that violence in the US is actually at a 20 year low... And video games and gun sales are at all time highs...

I appreciate your post Morpheus....
I think its imperative as a community to consider all data, any data, that gets the media's attention off guns and onto something more pertinent. I think this phenomena of kids killing each other has a lot more to do with overall parenting and our socialized educational system than video games in general. But, I do think that some of these games desensitize. It takes practice to be an effective hunter of men and some of these kids get hours upon hours of practice every single day....

You can keep your head in the sand all you want but is not going to change anything.
The ramp up in school shooters began after hollywood removed the controls of extreme violence and the kill em all videos came on the market, and the mix of meds and that is still a root cause in nearly every case.

I appreciate your post Morpheus....
I think its imperative as a community to consider all data, any data, that gets the media's attention off guns and onto something more pertinent. I think this phenomena of kids killing each other has a lot more to do with overall parenting and our socialized educational system than video games in general. But, I do think that some of these games desensitize. It takes practice to be an effective hunter of men and some of these kids get hours upon hours of practice every single day....

Unfortunately, this is similar logic to when they said Rock and Roll was going to destroy our Youth. Or Dungeons and Dragons. Or Comics. Or Movies. Or the Jitterbug! :)

I'd love to see a comparison between the number of fatalities of school shootings next to urban yutes data, which I am sure dwarfs school shooting violence

Don't forget the hate America crowd indoctrination in school. Beside Hollywood being in lockstep with that.

The real problem with today's youth is the degradation of the two parent morally guided family unit. Many kids literally have nothing but trash guiding them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads