JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe a little bit TOO young? Perhaps educational exposure to firearms but not handling and shooting? Defuse the curiosity. I was brought up this way. Did not start shooting until the age of 8 or so and then under tight adult supervision. NO handguns. Also using a 9 mm? Too much recoil.

Just me. A long time ago in the Boy Scouts. Like 1958.

BB guns at 5, .22, .25, .32 and .410 at 6...the calibers and gauges got bigger as they were able to handle it. By the time the 3 kids were 12 years old, they each had shot 25K rounds from 17 different calibers and gauges. They worked every action I could find for their little hands. We'd pack a lunch, take 5k rounds, a pistol on the hip, rifle &/or shotgun, then go into the desert and shoot for the afternoon.
In addition to their experiences with sporting guns, they also got to shoot 7-8 different sub guns. We were environmentalists-replenishing the earth with lead and cultivating the soil. At 6 years old, we would go into a gun store and the salesman would hand my kid a Chipmunk...he instinctively pointed it to the ground, checked the chamber and gave it back...wasn't interested because there was no place for the magazine.
I emphasized handling the guns and knowing where that muzzle was pointed more than "how to" aim or hitting some bullseye. We carried loaded guns often. If my kids found a gun on the road, they'd have pointed it in a safe direction, cleared the weapon and checked the markings to see if it was worth anything.
I also gave each of the boys a scroll saw at 6 years old. They also had carving blades, wood chisels, carried pocket knives, could use the electric drills or saws...all the dangerous stuff I could dig up.
They went on to each get their college degrees, stable jobs, could fix their own plumbing, tile their own floors, fix their own cars or throw a roof on their house.
Something I would recommend if any dad decides to do this...you have to spend time with your kids...I don't mean an hour a week....I was with my kids daily... we decided when we had them we would not farm them out but, rather raise them ourselves...that took a big financial cut in the career department...we both worked part time and so we were always with them, homeschooling, through their mid teens when they went to college. We chose to dedicate the time to their development and it paid off handsomely. We never made millions but, the kids were never lacking for anything...they also worked for their money; no allowance...when a 10 year old needs money and he says, I need to get some work so I can buy a snowboard, you know he has it figured out...he won't be dependent upon Uncle Sam.
Something the police should learn: when a 10 year old picked up a .45 1911 and started waving it around, my 9 year old grabbed it from his hands, cleared the weapon and chewed the kid out, telling him about some basic gun handling rules...it took 10 seconds and nobody got shot and there was no screaming or clearing the area.
Yes, give the kids guns and knives at 6...but, be there for close supervision for a few years to make sure the lessons sunk in.
Oh, I never gave the kids toy guns... they develop the bad habit of pointing them at each other and somebody always has to be the bad guy...you don't want your kid practicing to be a bad guy...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top