JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best little truck I've ever had was a POS Chevy LUV 2wd. That thing never broke and got amazing traction crawling around the forest and snow...much better traction than any of my 4 Toyota 4x4 Tacomas ever had in 2wd.
Basically a rebadged Isuzu truck ;)
Apparently stopped making them in 2002, and replaced by a newer model that looks like could be useful in cities...

Observation. Similar to buying an aircraft or a boat, ask yourself this question:

What is needed for my 'mission' 90% of the time?

Towing? Carrying in the bed? People? Commuting? Parking (including in parking garages)? Fuel economy?

Absolutely. I totally understand the point about small(er) trucks not being much cheaper or efficient, but some people just like them. If you want or need a big truck, buy a big truck. If you want a small truck, then by all means get a small truck.

My 4wd Tacoma gets 24mpg at best. I know some big trucks can get that, especially diesel, and they put out far, far more horsepower. More horsepower for me would be wasted, because I don't need it.

As far as fitting in it, some of you guys must be a lot bigger than me. I'm 6' 200lbs, and fit fine (except when I accidentally get in wearing my hard hat). More room would be nice at times, but I have what I have and it works for me.

Like I said before, I don't really fit in with this discussion, and I have nothing against big trucks, but for some silly reason I feel the need to stick up for small trucks. :)

crew cab Tacoma fits in my garage. crew cab ford 150 didn't. I like parking in the garage a lot more than outside.

handles logging roads a lot better. especially when passing other rigs. and it towes or hauls anything I have a need to tow or haul. and being narrower than my 150, parking is a dream.

and all i have to do is look at all those new large trucks and know 95% dont see as much dirt, gravel or haul as much as my toyota has in the year i have owned it.

it hasnt surpassed my old bronco yet for being best vehicle i have owned. but it quickly passed the f150.

The TRD Pro package is adding quite a bit more to any of the Toyota lineup.
AE2F9DB3-0372-416D-9C66-A4ECD62B7A31.jpeg

Absolutely. I totally understand the point about small(er) trucks not being much cheaper or efficient, but some people just like them. If you want or need a big truck, buy a big truck. If you want a small truck, then by all means get a small truck.

My 4wd Tacoma gets 24mpg at best. I know some big trucks can get that, especially diesel, and they put out far, far more horsepower. More horsepower for me would be wasted, because I don't need it.

As far as fitting in it, some of you guys must be a lot bigger than me. I'm 6' 200lbs, and fit fine (except when I accidentally get in wearing my hard hat). More room would be nice at times, but I have what I have and it works for me.

Like I said before, I don't really fit in with this discussion, and I have nothing against big trucks, but for some silly reason I feel the need to stick up for small trucks. :)

Its not that small trucks have no utility or shouldn't be preferred. I just don't get how someone will buy one that has all the wizzbangs for a big chunk of money when they could have bought a 1/2 ton for the same money or less. Especially if its stretched out with a crew cab and "long" bed. Same wheel base, same or more money, none of the comfort, refinement, or power.

Its not that small trucks have no utility or shouldn't be preferred. I just don't get how someone will buy one that has all the wizzbangs for a big chunk of money when they could have bought a 1/2 ton for the same money or less. Especially if its stretched out with a crew cab and "long" bed. Same wheel base, same or more money, none of the comfort, refinement, or power.

Honestly I agree to an extent. Unless you jist really want a trd pro, I dont get it. For my personal choice its a no brainer. There is no 1/2 ton even half as noce for 30-31k brand new. If i was spending 45 id have to think hard about a tacoma. Although the resale on these things is still a big + in my book.

Basically a rebadged Isuzu truck ;)
Apparently stopped making them in 2002, and replaced by a newer model that looks like could be useful in cities...
That's what you get for listening to Wiki.
The Chevy LUV was last sold in the US in the 1981 model year...and those were left over '80 models.
That year the body was redesigned and NO ONE liked it.
Fortunately, they changed the body lines slightly and when the Isuzu P'UP hit market, it was more appealing truck.
In the meantime, Chevy introduced their built-in-house "S-10" with the '82 model year.

Dean

That's what you get for listening to Wiki.
The Chevy LUV was last sold in the US in the 1981 model year...and those were left over '80 models.
That year the body was redesigned and NO ONE liked it.
Fortunately, they changed the body lines slightly and when the Isuzu P'UP hit market, it was more appealing truck.
In the meantime, Chevy introduced their built-in-house "S-10" with the '82 model year.

Dean
No no no, Isuzu stopped making the Isuzu Faster line of trucks in 2002 (whereas Chevy LUVs were no longer sold after 1981). That is what I was referring to :)

….but your reply was in reference to someone's recollections of a Chevy LUV they owned.
You are correct, the LUV was made buy Isuzu.
In the 70's, most of the Japanese builders were trying to grab a piece of the American market (something they'd been unsuccessful at, in years past), but felt they needed to find an inexpensive way to break into an untapped market, so they all sided with the American manufacturers in order to help build their lines.
In turn, this gave the American car company's already worked out econo-boxes that they could market as inexpensive and reliable "basic transportation".
They were something to battle VW.
Mazda sided with Ford, Mitsubishi sided with Chrysler and Isuzu sided with GM.
Datsun (Nissan) and Toyota already had a well established presence in the American market, having built their respective brands for at least 10-15 years by that time.
1972 is remembered by some of us as the year of "The Invasion". because that's when everyone brought their mini-trucks to America.
It was a hit.
The trucks were seen as "cute" but also incredibly useful, which has a charm all to itself.
...and they've been here ever since.
This is how the LUV (an acronym for "Little Utility Vehicle") came to be and why its connected to a Japanese manufacturer.
The way your post was worded, it sounded like you were saying the LUV was in production until '02.
No sweat. Thanks for clarifying your earlier statement.

Dean

The way your post was worded, it sounded like you were saying the LUV was in production until '02.
No sweat. Thanks for clarifying your earlier statement.
Rebadged Isuzu truck; whose base stayed in production til 2002; it wasn't made in the U.S; again, if ya went to the wiki page, it clearly states that the Chevy LUV was simply the same truck but with Chevy branding and trim. In any case...the Chevy LUV was sold in South America up til 1988; and the Isuzu P'UP sold in US, is the 2nd generation of the Isuzu Faster truck line which is rather funny.
Edit. The Chevy LUV as a model kept going til 2005 when it got the D Max name added to it when badged on the Isuzu D-Max (which coincidentally, shares parts with the Colorado) in South American market, and other markets :rolleyes: shades of the Chevrolet Ciera Eurosport (Oldsmobile Ciera sold as a Chevy in Mexico)

...but that's not the same truck...and who care's about South America anyway.
Your post was worded poorly. Chalk it up to a learning experience. We've all been there.

I dunno - I really like the Chevy Colorado more than the Silverado. The Silverado would more readily haul plywood / sheetrock etc - the Colorado just handles nicer from my test driving of them. They're close in size when you go the 4 door route.

My business partner has a 2016 GMC Canyon (Colorado w/ Cheese) - he got the "long" bed, 4 door, diesel. The Diesel is nice - gets good econ, has highest towing capacity in that truck's lineup. His truck is maybe 3" shorter than the standard cab (w/ suicide door to access behind the seat) F-150 long bed I drive for work. It is narrower though, which makes handling parking lots a bit easier.

I've driven the Colorado trucks enough to know they're comfy for my big arse - the Tacomas not so much.

It's a moot point, because when we traded in our little compact sedan for a new rig last winter - we got a Toyota Sienna mini van.

When I get a truck - and who knows when that will be - I'm sure I'll test drive the crap out of all the trucks out there. An F-150 short bed quad cab wouldn't be bad, but I'd probably still lean toward the Colorado to start the search. Eventually the plan would be to tow a boat (which is also a way off future purchase) and maybe a camp trailer. My partner tows a 24' bumper pull travel trailer with his Canyon without issue. The engine brake and computer controlled transmissions handle that well.

To each their own. As long as they're not buying a Dodge :D

I dunno - I really like the Chevy Colorado more than the Silverado. The Silverado would more readily haul plywood / sheetrock etc - the Colorado just handles nicer from my test driving of them. They're close in size when you go the 4 door route.

My business partner has a 2016 GMC Canyon (Colorado w/ Cheese) - he got the "long" bed, 4 door, diesel. The Diesel is nice - gets good econ, has highest towing capacity in that truck's lineup. His truck is maybe 3" shorter than the standard cab (w/ suicide door to access behind the seat) F-150 long bed I drive for work. It is narrower though, which makes handling parking lots a bit easier.

I've driven the Colorado trucks enough to know they're comfy for my big arse - the Tacomas not so much.

It's a moot point, because when we traded in our little compact sedan for a new rig last winter - we got a Toyota Sienna mini van.

When I get a truck - and who knows when that will be - I'm sure I'll test drive the crap out of all the trucks out there. An F-150 short bed quad cab wouldn't be bad, but I'd probably still lean toward the Colorado to start the search. Eventually the plan would be to tow a boat (which is also a way off future purchase) and maybe a camp trailer. My partner tows a 24' bumper pull travel trailer with his Canyon without issue. The engine brake and computer controlled transmissions handle that well.

That's good info on the Colorado. I'm half way thinking about getting the gmc diesel version but they all are so expensive.

That's good info on the Colorado. I'm half way thinking about getting the gmc diesel version but they all are so expensive.

My partner bought his from Dave Smith up in Kellogg, Idaho. They were way cheaper than anyone in the Portland area. He told them what he was looking for as far as trim / equipment, they called when they got one in, he wired the funds and flew up to drive it home.

I test drove a few that are a year or two newer - in 2016 IIRC they went to push button start vs key, but the key is like the Dodge's - it's still a computerized ignition, you don't hold it till it starts, just basically tap it, the electronics take over to crank. I like the push button, as you leave the fob in your pocket. Both versions have remote start option - which I got real used to on my last car.

I'm 6'4 with long legs, and the Colorado / Canyons are very comfortable for me. The salesman usually rode behind me on test drives, and didn't seem to have leg room problems. The new Chevy / GMC trucks are nicely appointed across the board - I like the interior styling on them more than the Fords & Toyota counterparts.

I know my '98 Ranger has noticeably more cab room than my '89 B2200 did....still, I never had any problems with driving around in the ol' Mazda.
...still want an 80's Toyota in good shape. ;)

Hey Don't discount the minivan, I wish we never got rid of ours it would haul around the kids, the dogs and the groceries or whatever else we needed to shove into it, plus it had dual sliding doors, it was great but vanity got in the way of practicality and she wanted a CUV so now we have a small tall station wagon that seats five with barely room for a dog. Toyota has the TJ Cruiser in the works based on the underpinnings of the 4Runner, a minivan with real 4WD. Like the Mazda MPV/Ford Aerostars based on the Ranger/B2300 twins.

I know my '98 Ranger has noticeably more cab room than my '89 B2200 did....still, I never had any problems with driving around in the ol' Mazda.
...still want an 80's Toyota in good shape. ;)
The best truck I ever had was a 1988 Toyota Pickup, 2WD, regular cab five speed, that truck could take some abuse and returned good gas mileage, was comfortable and nothing ever broke on it, I wish they still made a truck like that. The Nissan Frontier is the closest you can get to that formula with the added benefit of a full size truck frame underneath, plus the price on the Nissan trucks tends to be lower than the rest of them.

Hey Don't discount the minivan, I wish we never got rid of ours it would haul around the kids, the dogs and the groceries or whatever else we needed to shove into it, plus it had dual sliding doors, it was great but vanity got in the way of practicality and she wanted a CUV so now we have a small tall station wagon that seats five with barely room for a dog. Toyota has the TJ Cruiser in the works based on the underpinnings of the 4Runner, a minivan with real 4WD. Like the Mazda MPV/Ford Aerostars based on the Ranger/B2300 twins.

I love my mini van. They will never be cool, but they're comfy, and utilitarian. Its why we got it. :D

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top