JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just dont buy a F150 with a Triton 5.4liter engine. Ford has serious issues with these engines. I have a friend who learned the hard way. Had one and started having problems with a couple cylinders. rough idle, bad gas mpg, etc. he traded it in a new F150 with a triton 5.4, 3 years into his new truck, same problem. He traded in on a Subaru, he says he will never buy a ford truck again.

5.4 2 valves are good to go. The 3 valve are a nightmare. I learned the hard way too.

My F150 with the 5.4 3 valve broke the timing chain guide causing it to jump time and grenade the valves. If it was a 2 valve, I could have got a new long block for $2k IIRC.

Since the 3v has so many issues and long blocks are in high demand, it cost me $3800 for a reman. I've talked to several people who had the same issue in the same mileage range.

The good news is the outfit here in Spokane that remanufactured them supposedly worked out all the bugs including a modern high output oil pump that gets rid of the Ford top end tick. And they gave me a 7yr 100k warranty.

One thing that hasn't been addressed here is Tailgate Height.
This is the height of the tailgate, relative to the ground, when open.
Traditionally, mini trucks had a significantly lower tailgate height, compared to their full-sized brethren.
This makes load/unload much easier.
Something I didn't think about until I got a mini-truck.
In the succession of vehicles I've owned in my life, I went from a ''65 GMC to an '89 Mazda.
The tailgate height between the two differed by probably a foot or so.
Anytime I had to load something heavy into the smaller truck (which, looking back on it, seemed like just about everything!) I was really grateful for that extra foot!
Also, there were several occasions where the truck had to be loaded by having something put on a ramp and driven, or trucked, into the bed.
That's when I REALLY realized the lower tailgate height. Makes a sheet of 3/4" plywood a very useful thing to have!
With the small trucks that are made nowadays, I don't think they enjoy the same difference in tailgate height that the older trucks did.
I really wish the manufacturers would being back the smaller mini-truck. Something about the size they were in the late 80's/early 90's.
I feel there's still a nitche for such a truck to exist in.

Dean

I really wish the manufacturers would being back the smaller mini-truck. Something about the size they were in the late 80's/early 90's.
I feel there's still a nitche for such a truck to exist in.

I agree. My grandfather had a Chevy Luv that he drove around in his later years. He loved that little truck.

My 2008 Colorado with 5,500 miles on it. Yeah. I know. It's CUTE. But I don't need a ladder to get into it.

Truck-3.jpg

But if today's small truck is a quad cab with long wheel base that costs &40k, why not just buy a 1/2 ton?

Cost of ownership

Had a Tacoma for 250k miles
In that time it went thru an alternator (Yeah, brakes, tires, batteries etc wore out. But those are wear items no matter what kinda rig you drive)
Oil changes were 35 bucks or so
Got 22mpg driving everywhere

Have a F350 with the 7.3 diesel. Drove it for 300k miles
Went thru 3 transmissions ($4k each) after factory unit blew up at 88k-One was due to leaky radiator (Paid for by mechanic). The others died all by themselves.
Injectors
Glow Plugs (Don't remember exact breakdown. But injectors and Plugs were about 4 grand)
2 Alternators
2 starters
Front end rebuilt twice @ 1k each time
Brakes on regular basis (Twice as often as Tacoma)
2 fuel pumps
Hubs
Master cyl
There might have been more
Oil changes were 80 bucks each. Plus lotsa fuel filters and air filters.
Figure in electricity for block heater in cold winter nights (Think it's a 1000 watt heater)
Got 15.5 mpg driving everywhere.

The big pickup was capable of towing/hauling heavier loads. Which is great if you need to haul heavy on a semi regular basis. Takes 40 acres to turn around. Parking spots are often on the small side. Only fit in about half the parking structures I end up in.

The little pickup could haul 800# comfortably. Was much easier to maneuver in traffic. Could actually fit in most parking spaces. It could only tow light weight stuff at best.

Paid 30k for the Ford in 2003. Might get 10k if I'm lucky.
Paid 10k for Toyota in 2002. Sold it for $3500

Have a diesel now that replaced these pickups. If I didn't tow on a regular basis Say 80-100 days a year on average (Boat is 5000#. Work trailer is 6000-7000#), I'd not have a diesel or 3/4-1 ton.

its 16 pages deep, so I'm just gonna drop my opinion. I bought a 2019 tacoma 5ft bed because for 31k, that's what I wanted. I get a capable 4wd truck that fits easily in my driveway, fits my dirtbike in the bed, gets 22mpg, and I REALLY like the depreciation numbers on tacomas.

As far as Rover, you want ether an older Range Rover Country, or a Series1 Defender if you want reliable and dependable! They use the famous Rover 3.9L V-8 from way back and it a powerful little motor, punching far above its class! Running gear is pretty much bomb proof and there is a lot of aftermarket support for these world wide! I would take a Rover over any Toyota and thats really saying something!
Been really considdering another Disco, you can convert them to a Mercedes Benz Turbo Diesel pretty easy, and thats a very powerful and fuel efficent combo! Thise MBZ engines are all over the place and can be had pretty cheaply! Make sure to get a series 1 Disco and your life will be a lot easier!
You'd take a rover over a Toyota? Lol!!!! Not a chance!!!

At 5-11 and 185 my 2013 Tacoma fits just fine and I have found sitting in the rear seats not uncomfortable. I have 49,000 miles on it and it is still tight like new. It'a bit of a dog pulling the Polaris and trailer (~2500lbs) up a steep grade, but I can live with that. Not one single problem with it since new.

My 2007 Tundra iForce V8 was a beast for towing, but never got more than 16mpg and was a PITA to park around town.

On the other hand, a guy I know just bought a new Dodge diesel for 65k and on the way home from the dealer the oil filter came off and dumped oil all over the freeway. Dealer came and towed it back; said OOPS, sorry, that's a known issue. They fixed it, he drove it home and it failed again in his driveway. Great design.

Best little truck I've ever had was a POS Chevy LUV 2wd. That thing never broke and got amazing traction crawling around the forest and snow...much better traction than any of my 4 Toyota 4x4 Tacomas ever had in 2wd.

AB02661C-D0F0-4B44-9E09-7878B5E3F434.jpeg

I'm not reading the whole thread, but I've had my Tacoma in places it barely fit. A fullsize just wouldn't go there. And how is a truck different than a rifle? Some need/want a 700 nitro express, some get by fine with a 30-30 or a 22. To each their own, and for their own uses. I often wonder the contrary, why there are so many 3500 series trucks in traffic every day, hauling/towing nothing.

I'm not reading the whole thread, but I've had my Tacoma in places it barely fit. A fullsize just wouldn't go there. And how is a truck different than a rifle? Some need/want a 700 nitro express, some get by fine with a 30-30 or a 22. To each their own, and for their own uses. I often wonder the contrary, why there are so many 3500 series trucks in traffic every day, hauling/towing nothing.

If all we could have is one gun (since most cant have multiple trucks) and a 22 cost as much as a 375 and weighed the same....I'm buying a 375.

I have a 2015 Tundra and can't think of where I can't go with it or park it. From snowy E. WA, to narrow forest roads in W. WA to parallel parking in Seattle, its easy to drive and will tow 4500lbs easily. It's the smallest vehicle I'd buy.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top