JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These days, I just don't get why people buy small trucks. For the same money, or even less, you can get more power, payload, room, comfort, bells and whistles, and maybe even keep up with traffic while towing 3 to 5,000 lbs.

The small trucks like the Tacoma, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier, and Ranger cost as much as a 1/2 ton. The other day, @Kruel J and I got into a new 4-door Tacoma and were disappointed with no leg room, not much head room, and a wheel base as long as a half ton. For the same price, the guy could have bought an F150 or Tundra, or any other 1/2 ton and had more room and power and capability. Maybe a little less mpg, but probably not.

For a stretch recently, the Tacoma was really the only game in town until the Colorado/Canyon and Ranger were reintroduced. Compared to what you see in the full size market, small truck interiors suck. Most options, or lack thereof, suck. Lack of competition stifles innovation. The full size market has way more competition and the offerings are more refined by far.

My extended cab Tundra and Kruel J's F150 with the same style cab have more room in the back, usable bed space, comfortable cabs, and at least 50% more towing capability for less money. That Tacoma was 40k. Our trucks would have been around 35k new. They (Tacomas), aren't as reliable as they used to be either. I know of two guys who bought a 2017 and 2018 and both were bought back by Toyota for transmission problems.

My truck will tow a 4500lb boat/trailer like its hardly back there. My dad tried towing it with his 2012 4Runner and it struggled.

Why struggle? Buy at least a 1/2 ton!

Agreed! No real advantage to a small truck. Even fuel economy these days seems like just a couple miles per gallon difference.

It used to be that the small trucks from Datsun ( Nissan) and Toyota were handy as they got better millage and for those who didn't need a full size or the payload capabilities, they made total sense, especially the 4X4 trucks, and against the full size crap America was producing at that time ( 80's and 90's Chevy, Ford and Dodge) they made for a better quality option. Cost wasn't bad ether, but that has all changed!
The real intresting change is the Asian Truck makers are now producing Full Size trucks to compete against the American trucks, and they have pushed the American makers to build better quality and a better value in the full size market!
Now days, the small trucks are, well, Small................ they were never really comfortable, their seat's were usually a lot closer to the floor, and still are, and they don't have the interior room!
My F.I.L. Bought a 2018 Dodge Ram full size Hemi 3/4 tone for less then any import of any size, and it was 10 to 15 thousand cheaper then a comparable Ford or Chebby! and easily 20 k less then the full size Import! These days, a full size just makes more sense! BTW, that Hemi Ram my F.I. L. got gets almost 27 Miles Per Gallon! Show me any other V-8 Truck that can do that! Pay load, PLEASE, whatta you need to haul, it will!

Parking is the only advantage with a smaller truck. Gas millage sucks on the smaller trucks and SUVs in my experience. With my Chevy Trailblazer, Honda Passport (Isuzu) and Mitsubishi all 6 cyl, I struggled to get much more than 15-16 mpg. I get that and as much as 17-20 on the hwy with my 2014 Ram.

I like the Tundra but for beating on like work trucks, I think big basic American trucks are best. I beat on my old work trucks 4 years and they never missed a step.

I don't get it either in this day and age. I drive a Ford F150 and will be replacing it in the next year or two and see no reason to not go with another V8 F150. (Shrug) to each their own.

Parking is the only advantage with a smaller truck. Gas millage sucks on the smaller trucks and SUVs in my experience. With my Chevy Trailblazer, Honda Passport (Isuzu) and Mitsubishi all 6 cyl, I struggled to get much more than 15-16 mpg. I get that and as much as 17-20 on the hwy with my 2014 Ram.

I like the Tundra but for beating on like work trucks, I think big basic American trucks are best. I beat on my old work trucks 4 years and they never missed a step.

Toyota screwed up the Tundra, in my opinion, in 2007 when they quit offering at least a 6 1/2 bed with their crew cab. If that cab came with a full sized bed, I'd buy one. As my kid gets older, I'll be in the market for a larger back seat....and it has to have a 6 1/2 foot bed.

What's not to like here! 4 real doors, with real room in the back seats for Adults, a real towing capability, and a thumpin V-8 that gets good millage!
1567990150247.png

I have an F150 and I'm wondering why I didnt buy a 3/4 or a 1 ton. I'll probably keep it for a commuter/grocery getter and get a real pickup with a real 8' bed next.

Yup, Do it all the time, Heavy stomp of the right foot and a quick jerk of the wheel brings it right around in it's own length! :s0140: Unless your in a hurry, a few extra seconds isn't going to make any difference!

Some people don't like to stay on the pavement. You ever tried to turn a full sized truck around on a single track trail?

Been doing it for 20 years. I've taken my trucks down some small forest roads and have pulled a few people from places they shouldn't have gone. My first vehicle was a Chevy Silverado HD 3/4 ton with an 8 1/2 bed. Regular cab and a front bench seat that was cozy with a date. I'm on my third Tundra. 2002 Access Cab 4x4 (perfect hunting truck), 2006 Double Cab (had a full size bed, underpowered), and now a 2015 Double Cab (wish I had the Crew Max, but needed 6 1/2 foot bed).

Yup, Do it all the time, Heavy stomp of the right foot and a quick jerk of the wheel brings it right around in it's own length! :s0140: Unless your in a hurry, a few extra seconds isn't going to make any difference!

The funny thing is, the other guys Tacoma has just as long of a wheel base as my Tundra or Kruel J's F150. Just got 100 ho and 4,000lbs less towing capacity.

I've taken my trucks down some small forest roads

Ditto that. We, quite literally, live in the forest. The road that connects our patch from the county road then is along the southern edge of our acreage is a single track. We traverse it to get to the house and I do so when working further up the hill (e.g., logging, planting, etc.). I drive the F150, my wife an all wheel drive Jeep. Works well enough for our purposes.

When I replace the F150, I'm going to go to a four door with real seats in the back because we have little children, so the option to take the whole family is a beneficial thing. :)

Ditto that. We, quite literally, live in the forest. The road that connects our patch from the county road then is along the southern edge of our acreage is a single track. We traverse it to get to the house and I do so when working further up the hill (e.g., logging, planting, etc.). I drive the F150, my wife an all wheel drive Jeep. Works well enough for our purposes.

When I replace the F150, I'm going to go to a four door with real seats in the back because we have little children, so the option to take the whole family is a beneficial thing. :)

The new convertible car seats are huge. With the one in the back of mine in the rear facing mode, only a smaller person could fit in the front. Its not so bad now that its forward facing.

These days, I just don't get why people buy small trucks. For the same money, or even less, you can get more power, payload, room, comfort, bells and whistles, and maybe even keep up with traffic while towing 3 to 5,000 lbs.

Never have been impressed either so it has to be demand for some reason that makes no sense to me either. I guess if you're going to use the damn thing for a good commute, and don't want to pay the gas? If that was the case for me I would just use some kind of car for the damn commute. FIL who has enough money he can just buy whatever he wants made this mistake. Bought a high end mid size 4WD. Truck had all the "nice stuff" except ROOM! He had gotten rid of his 5th wheel so he did not need to tow any more but he did still make some long trips in it. Before long he sold it at a hell of a deal to one kid, bought a full size SUV and of course loves it MUCH more.

I don't get it either in this day and age. I drive a Ford F150 and will be replacing it in the next year or two and see no reason to not go with another V8 F150. (Shrug) to each their own.
I really like the way the F-150's look for the last many years. They started making them so at first glance they looked like 250's or even 350's. Last few I have been in were damn nice inside to. If I wanted another truck this would be my go to choice.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews