JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm sort of surprised more mass shooters don't follow the Klebold and Harris model. But I digress.

Short answer, mass shootings are the tool of a complete loser. Losers don't typically make great plans.
And how can you get noticed if you are quiet ? The said loser wants attention and thankfully a suppressor cannot support their needs!

Many of the reasons listed above are likely correct about why the insane monsters who commit mass shootings don't use cans. However, from what I've read, they are used in violent, sometimes organized, crime. Nearly all unregistered and clandestinely made / obtained.

A local example: I remember while I had a SBS Form 1 waiting in the queue, the authorities popped some meth cookers in a podunk town near here. In addition to their illicit poison, they also had four silencers in various states of manufacturer. All, naturally, unpapered. In other words, the law-abiding types pay the tax and wait; the criminal scum just ignore the law. :rolleyes:

Kind of just occurred to me. You don't need a suppressor to do the job.
Simple.
To get the effect you want (death), you don't need one. You only need one if you plan to keep your hearing long term or need to make your position less obvious.
Bad guys don't need this.

Otherwise the arguments of "they cost too much" and "there's a wait time" are great anti-gun plans as well (hey California).

That said, bad guys are getting caught with 3D printed stuff (receivers and switches). It's only a matter of time until 3D printed cans, oil/solvent filter cans/adapters, and other stuff get publicized and then there's a media outcry about how dangerous they are.
I agree, if people believe the reason for them not being used more often is difficulty of access, that could support maintaining restrictions.

The loud noise from unsuppressed fire could also serve to disorient victims and cause more of them to stay in place, creating more stationary targets.
I highly doubt the mentality of the average 'mass shooter' allows them to think or plan this far ahead.

It appears, based on many of the followup stories I have read about mass shootings, they were basically impulsive, with the guns acquired fairly recently prior to the shootings, and unless the gun already had a 'can' on it I doubt it would have ever been a consideration.

They do not do anything to enhance the capability of the bad guy and offer a significant drawback if they are trying to hide the firearm as they try to move into position to start the massacre. This is the same reason they are not really used in other crimes as well, and would not be even if they were available for $15 OTC at the hardware store (and why easy DIY suppressors are almost never seen in crime either).

The same used to be true of giggle switches, until they became a status symbol in gang culture. It was not until all the rappers started flouting their switches as "the cool thing to have" that FA stuff started showing up in more gang related crimes, and even then you will note that it is almost exclusively FA pistols that are being recorded in the statistics, not long arms of any kind. The switch does not do anything to detract from the concealability of the weapon, is only a minor detriment to actual functionality, and massively increased intimidation and credibility factors.

If you manage to do the same for suppressors you might see similar trends, but I doubt that will happen as they are a pain to shove down your pants and I doubt any of the big name rappers will see that as a "cool look".

What benefits would the typical (modern day) mass shooter gain by having a suppressor?

They are better off buying ammo/body armor in their twisted little brains.
Kind of just occurred to me. You don't need a suppressor to do the job.
Simple.
To get the effect you want (death), you don't need one. You only need one if you plan to keep your hearing long term or need to make your position less obvious.
Bad guys don't need this.

Otherwise the arguments of "they cost too much" and "there's a wait time" are great anti-gun plans as well (hey California).

That said, bad guys are getting caught with 3D printed stuff (receivers and switches). It's only a matter of time until 3D printed cans, oil/solvent filter cans/adapters, and other stuff get publicized and then there's a media outcry about how dangerous they are.

Exactly this. My first reaction was "Because they don't need them". I just doesn't offer them much advantage. They seem to have this mental image of them walking around shooting people unopposed. What would they need a suppressor for?

I don't know waiting a couple months for a suppressor to clear the BGC (ok first huge hurtle) and figuring out where to get the cash (another big hurtle) going through the process would give the std unit nut job plenty of time to work on their manifesto I mean 40 pages of rambling crap on everything from Race relations to the Sister touched me in the broom closet at school and mommy won't let me play video games 24-7. Seams like it could be a productive time for a nut job.

I suspect because they simply aren't readily available. They require time, tax stamps, more background checks, etc., And they're not critical...and pardon my phrasing here...to getting the job done. It's probably not worth the time and hassle for most of the crazies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top