JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This happened to me once at a Big 5, but now that you mention it, I am not sure if they took the DL # or my DOB, I tried to look at what numbers they were entering but there's a lot of numbers in common between the two he was typing fast. Oddly enough, I've bought ammo there before and since, and it only happened the one time.

=========================================================

I wonder how much info is available when your ID is scanned.

Any one have an I Phone with the SKU app?

======================================================

OK, I did some searching and the bar code thing is about Homeland Security and "real ID"

http://news.cnet.com/FAQ-How-will-Real-ID-affect-you/2009-1028_3-6229517.html

Q: What kind of information about me is going to be stored on the Real ID card?
This hasn't changed substantially since our earlier FAQ published nearly three years ago. At a minimum: name, birth date, sex, ID number, a digital photograph, address, and a "common machine-readable technology" that Homeland Security approves. The card must also sport "physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes."

Q: Will the information about me on the PDF417 barcode, such as my home address, be encrypted to prevent a bank or a bar or any other business from swiping it and adding me to their database?
No. Homeland Security said it would be too much work "given law enforcement's need for easy access to the information." It is, however, "open to considering technology alternatives to the PDF417 2D bar code in the future to provide greater privacy protections," which could mean RFID chips in the future. U.S. passports already have RFID chips embedded.

I was told by Wal-Mart while researching this topic; the recording license numbers by some stores to buy ammo is random, that they do this to show proof that they are checking for legal age from a sampling of customers to show proof they comply with the law.

If this is true why do this to people who you know are way over legal age? just saying................

I know in Washington the numbers in your DL and your DOB are encoded together. So if you happened to make a fake ID and changed the DOB, you have to change your DL number as well.

(clicky)

I couldn't find anything on google...but does Oregon do the same thing?

I happpen to know a person who is currently a cashier for Bi-mart and I was just told that if they ask to se your ID (meaning that you look under 35ish) then they are supposed to enter your date of birth so that the computer can do the math but some will just do the math in their head and bypass the check on the computer. They do not enter your drivers licence number for ammo, cigs, or beer........ just spray paint.

I know in Washington the numbers in your DL and your DOB are encoded together. So if you happened to make a fake ID and changed the DOB, you have to change your DL number as well.

(clicky)

I couldn't find anything on google...but does Oregon do the same thing?

================================================

I posted a link in post #22, The US is working to make all state ID and DLs uniform, Its a Homeland Security thing.

Anyway most all states ID will show age, photo, address, anatomical donor, eye color, height, weight, etc. all this encoded in the bar code.

And once a store zaps your bar code they can do what they want with the info.

================================================

I posted a link in post #22, The US is working to make all state ID and DLs uniform, Its a Homeland Security thing.

Anyway most all states ID will show age, photo, address, anatomical donor, eye color, height, weight, etc. all this encoded in the bar code.

And once a store zaps your bar code they can do what they want with the info.

I was just refering to the DL number itself since the OP was wondering why they were taking their DL number for ammo purchases...but that is interesting that they are doing that "uniformity" thing with the DLs. They were tinkering around with a universal ID card earlier back in 2008. This would just be a back-door way to do just that.

We're all just numbers in the eyes of the Government.

You sure they didn't enter his date of birth??
Some places will do that to ensure they are over 21. I've been buying ammo at Bi-mart and other stores and they have never asked for ID.

If you really want to throw the Bi-Mart or Wally World clerk for a loop, when they ask to see your ID to "verify age", hand them a US Passport or TWIC credential... Even a State-issued CHL or CCW permit should be valid ID for all such purposes. The DL is the common form that folks expect to see, but any government issued photo ID with the required info is valid. I've been using my TWIC credential for a while now, mostly to avoid the barcode scan... until Plaid Pantry can read the RFID smart-chip, I'm confident they're not tracking me.

-Case

If you really want to throw the Bi-Mart or Wally World clerk for a loop, when they ask to see your ID to "verify age", hand them a US Passport or TWIC credential... Even a State-issued CHL or CCW permit should be valid ID for all such purposes. The DL is the common form that folks expect to see, but any government issued photo ID with the required info is valid. I've been using my TWIC credential for a while now, mostly to avoid the barcode scan... until Plaid Pantry can read the RFID smart-chip, I'm confident they're not tracking me.

-Case

Nice, I think I'll start using my CHL for proof of age now for things they would be tracking. Just to mess with them. It's 100% legal proof of ID that they can accept because it's state issued, why not?

They include the photo on your CCW permit in OR? If not, it has to be a state issued PHOTO ID.
Yup, Oregon they take your picture and digital finger prints, where in Washington they just take a fingerprint card and send you on your way. I still haven't got my Washington CPL in the mail yet, but ya they give you a full license type CHL in Oregon and just the piece of paper in Washington.

Here's a sample pic of an Oregon CHL
oregon.jpg
and a sample pic of a Washington CPL
washington_concealed_firearm_permit.jpg
The Oregon one looks a lot more legit, little holographic seal, picture, DOB, Weight, Height, pretty much everything as your Driver's License. But hey don't hate, at least your drivers license can get you into Canada now without a passport.

So they took my ID the other day at Bi-mart.

I watched this time.... she entered in my birthday. That was all. I think they randomly do that to verify. Sometimes they just hit enter/enter/enter or whatever they do to bypass.

Yup, Oregon they take your picture and digital finger prints, where in Washington they just take a fingerprint card and send you on your way. I still haven't got my Washington CPL in the mail yet, but ya they give you a full license type CHL in Oregon and just the piece of paper in Washington.

The Oregon one looks a lot more legit, little holographic seal, picture, DOB, Weight, Height, pretty much everything as your Driver's License. But hey don't hate, at least your drivers license can get you into Canada now without a passport.

Deffinatly jelious...I have to pull out both my picture ID and my CCW permit when I go running or bike ridding. It would be nice to just have one (and it be hard plastic instead of some piece of paper that likes to soak up sweat!).

I happen to work for wal-mart and they do not record your driver's license numbers in any way shape or form. They are simply fallowing a policy of entering the DOB. Basically it's the same policy for buying tobacco or alcohol, if the person looks to be under the age of 40 you ask for an I.D. and them must enter a date of birth. It's just the way their system works, nothing more the CYA for the company involved.

happened to me the last time I went into big 5 to buy some .40 S&W here in Seattle , not sure if the lady entered my DL number or my DOB though. They've never done that before in the many times I've gone there to get ammo.

Buying ammo at BuMart in the Portland area (lots of them, and NO sales tax..... ) I will use a credit card (get cash rebate points that way). Most often they will ask to see my ID, so I flop my WA driving license... they look at the mugshot and name, compare the name with the card, hand it back.

I will NOT allow anyone (other than LEO) to scan my license... I have no idea how much info they get, and no guarantee of what they might DO with it. Increasinly, Uncle Stupid is passing laws to increase their level of scrutiny of us peons, with decreasing regard for our own security. Seems all they want is the means to track and control us, and could care less about how WE fare out there in this mean, criminal and fraud laden society. I understand the Congress are working on a new Federal level "real ID" sort of scheme... trying to pass it on the quick and sly, like they''re doing with so many other things. They're talking about biometrics, RFID chips, some such "secure" technology. Seems 24 states passed Nullification Statutes about the former Real ID law... and this one does not seem to be substantially different than the nulllified one.

One thing, I've heard that there are two ways of disabling a RFID chip in a driving license, passport, or other such ID card.... toss it in the microwave for half a minute, it will fry the guts of it. Or, smack it with a hammer, which will also scramble it. Make sure its on a flat, hard surface, and don't use a waffle-face framing hammer. I will likely get out my Sharpie and scramble the barcode about the next time some merchant wants to scan it. Basically, all it takes is a few select dots here and there... it will either cause a false read, or will prevent reading altogether.

This government übersichereit is getting to be scary..... what will it take to stop them? Seems we tell them NO on one scheme, they pass it anyway, we say NO WAY JOSÉ, so they lay low for a spell, and sure enough, dig it out of the pigpoop and run it again. Disgusting.

Someone ask to see my drivers license or worse record any of my information on to another form just to purchase ammo and I'd say . . . Nope! I'll take my bussiness elsewhere thank you.

Some stores have their headquarters based in la la land and they can actuallymake any policy they want as far as sales for anything, or refuse to sell to anyone if they choose.
We can also choose to not patronize them and spend our money elsewhere.
That is all it is. There is NO law in this state or most states that require record keeping for ammo sales. Commifornia actually should be severed and put out to sea. Maybe St Andreas will do that <EG>

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews