JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What gives at the department stores now? Is Oregon becoming the Peoples Republic of Oregon now? Let me explain what I mean, my father in-law went to Bi-mart in Springfield and had to show ID to purchase ammo and was told they entered his driver's license number into the system, when he told me this I thought this was a fluke and let it go because I was just at my local Bi-Mart in Cottage Grove and they never asked me at all and I spent over a hundred bucks in shells on Saturday. Now my wife went to Wal-Mart to pick up some cosmetics and girl crap for her and my daughters so I asked her to pick up some extra CCI 22 shells 200 rounds to replace what we shot up and a 100 rounds of 9mm and 100 rounds of 40 cal good old RED CHINA WAL-MART asked for her driver's license and entered her number in their computer! What the **** gives here? She is 38 so the age to purchase was not an issue and my father in-law is 72 so what is with this ID to purchase shells and record your driver's license?:s0131:

Has anyone else run into this? I never have as yet but what gives with the retailers now? I also noticed that the shell supply is drying up again at Bi-Mart they had set a limit of 4 boxes per person here not to long ago and now the shelves are empty again. This crap just boils my blood and if they start requiring us to give our drivers license number when we purchase shells we all need to boycott the stores!:s0012::s0159::angry:

Last Edited:
Wow, that's never happened to me. I've had them verify the ID because they entered the age but that's about it.

If they want to check my DL and enter it in I will refuse.

Kind of off topic, but don't they also check and record your ODL number in the Portland area when you buy spray paint? Last time I was at a Home Depot in Portland, all the paint was locked up with a sign saying they would record your ID.

I don't know of any requirement in Oregon to show a Driver's License to purchase ammo. I buy from the two Bi-Mart stores in Medford all the time. So, it must be the local store manager's idea to show it. Ask for the manager, and demand what law requires a person to show his license. Tell him that this is FREE OREGON, not the People's Republik Of Kalifornia, where the peons do have to do this!

Kind of off topic, but don't they also check and record your ODL number in the Portland area when you buy spray paint? Last time I was at a Home Depot in Portland, all the paint was locked up with a sign saying they would record your ID.

Within the Portland city limits. It is city council member Randy Leonard's plan for reducing graffiti. It's stupid and everybody hates it.

I don't recall having to show ID recently when I picked up rimfire ammo at the Hillsboro and Aloha Bi-Marts, though it has been a month or so.

On the spray paint, wasn't there a state or several local jurisdictions that passed some ordinance about requiring ID to combat taggers that went through a couple of years ago? That might be the reason for that one.

elsie

I've only had them check ID to make sure I was either 18 or 21 respectively, but at every bi-mart I've been too, and every walmart I've been too, they only checked age. The only reason Wal-mart put in the number was because they were in washington and I didn't have to pay tax. I hope this isn't a continuing practice or I'll find other places to buy my ammo.

Are you sure they were putting in his license number?

Anytime that I've ever had to show my ID at bimart, they enter my birth date into the register.

My wife asked the girl at Wal-Mart what she was doing and that is what she was told also the same for my father in-law. If this only happened once I would say it’s a fluke but this came from two people I can trust and who are like me and suspicious about tracking information..........................

I have a call into the manager of Wal-Mart in Cottage Grove to see what gives. I as a rule don't go there and like I said the Bi-Mart in Cottage Grove has not done this to me and this is where I buy my ammo or at the gun shows.

About 5 years ago I stopped at the Plaid Pantry on top of Sylvan hill off of Hwy 26 to by some beer on the way home. The Gal asked to see my ID, so I handed it to her and she stuck it under the bar cod reader and it went beep, I asked her what the heck just happened and she said it was company policy to record who bought alcohol and when. I was not happy, but the damage was done.

About a week later I stopped in for more beer but this time before I went in I took a black felt marker and scribbled all over the Sku # thingy. When I made my purchase she tried to scan my ID and of course it would not work, this through her for a loop and she was not sure how to proceed, she ended up selling my sixer and I left happy.

I am not sure if that is still policy as I have not been back since.

I still am not sure why the state determined it was a good idea to bar code our driver licenses.

Well soon in commifornia, you will have to have finger prints done for purchasing over 50 rounds of ammo. Or was it any ammo, can't remember.

Crazy I say, just crazy!

M

I've been buying at Bimart in Corvallis and nothing. We bought some 22lr yesterday at Walmart in Springfield and the guy asked if it was pistol ammo. No ID or anything.

About 5 years ago I stopped at the Plaid Pantry on top of Sylvan hill off of Hwy 26 to by some beer on the way home. The Gal asked to see my ID, so I handed it to her and she stuck it under the bar cod reader and it went beep, I asked her what the heck just happened and she said it was company policy to record who bought alcohol and when. I was not happy, but the damage was done.

About a week later I stopped in for more beer but this time before I went in I took a black felt marker and scribbled all over the Sku # thingy. When I made my purchase she tried to scan my ID and of course it would not work, this through her for a loop and she was not sure how to proceed, she ended up selling my sixer and I left happy.

I am not sure if that is still policy as I have not been back since.

I still am not sure why the state determined it was a good idea to bar code our driver licenses.

When I worked at Plaid more than a decade ago, you could call 1-800-MR-PLAID and reach the CEO directly. Don't know if that's still the case, but it is still their customer service number. I'd be really surprised if they're not willing and able to answer your questions and explain their policies.

Most of their sales clerks are scared to death of violating any company rules about IDing customers, I can tell you that much.

It wouldn't surprise me if bar coding licenses came from some sort of federal standard. I'm sure it's useful for detecting ID theft in certain limited circumstances, but other than that.....

When I worked at Plaid more than a decade ago, you could call 1-800-MR-PLAID and reach the CEO directly. Don't know if that's still the case, but it is still their customer service number. I'd be really surprised if they're not willing and able to answer your questions and explain their policies.

Most of their sales clerks are scared to death of violating any company rules about IDing customers, I can tell you that much.

It wouldn't surprise me if bar coding licenses came from some sort of federal standard. I'm sure it's useful for detecting ID theft in certain limited circumstances, but other than that.....

=========================================================

I wonder how much info is available when your ID is scanned.

Any one have an I Phone with the SKU app?

I was told at WalMart off 82nd ave that pistol ammo has to be recorded but rifle ammo does not. So of course I was coached to call my ammo rifle ammo. Yep, my 100 round white box was for my 9mm rifle, for sure!!;);)

There is lots of 9mm, 45 ACP, etc. carbines out there. I have a 460 rowland carbine that gladly shoots 45 ACP. That's right I have no handgun ammunition, only rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top