JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been wanting to get out and do some paper killing but with the temps in the 20s low 30s I just can't get my self out there

Used to go out in this cold all the time but as I get older it hurts more, however my old hunting partner brings up the point that this is the weather we hunt in so this is when we should be practicing...

I'm content right now to load more ammo and get my geared squared away as it is going to be time to go out and start looking for cats and dogs here soon

So? Who's out there ignoring the cold and shooting/hunting?

The wife and I have been out killing paper and melons the last two Sundays. Fortunately the weather has not been to bad, I am more worried about replacing the used ammo than I am the cold. I came to the fun world of guns late November, just before the mass panic and did not get a chance to stock up on all the essentials. I am still plugging away though with the AR. Its to much fun not to shoot, and now that the wife has a taste for shooting it, she wants one. That is not going to happen anytime soon for her. lol

I spent a hour and a half or so at ARPC last Saturday in steamy 33 degree weather trying to limber up for revolver competition and checking out speed reloads on the Garand.

I discovered pullover pile winter clothing is pits for holster work. Had to depend on generating core heat to keep my hands working as I forgot gloves. I tried to warm them up on the barrel and cylinder of my revolvers, but it was so cold that the guns had no heat even after 100 rounds.

When I was young, dumb and full of ....stuff...Yes, I used to go out to the range all the time in this weather. Of course, Uncle Sugar was paying me to go out, and you taxpayers were paying for the bullets (105mm, 152mm, 7.62 and .50 BMG)....

Now that I'm older, I only go out to shoot in cold weather on rare occasion. Would love to do it, but the creaking in my bones won't allow it as much...

"Black Death and his quickness, the depth and the thickness,
Of sorrow and sickness I've known on my way,
But I'm old and I'm nervis,
I'm cast from the Service,
And all I deserve is a shillin' a day."

The past few times I've passed the English Pit range here in Vancouver the parking lot has been packed. Even yesterday at around 1PM it looked nuts. So clearly many are still venturing out to the ranges. I think you have many first time owners or folks who've decided to get back into shooting wanting to get out to use their new guns.

I was at the 100 yard range at Tri County on Saturday. Arrived around 9:00 a.m. and the range officer had a fire built and no one else was there. I was loving it. Temp was 29 degrees, so between groups I had to hang out by the fire to warm up. Some of my loads were out of tune because of the cold, but I will take what I can get this time of year.

I don't go out when it's super cold, mostly because shooting is so close for me (in the woods across the road from my house) so I really make up for it in the summer. Last weekend was better and I wanted to try out my new CZ mags so I headed out Sunday afternoon and at about a mile from my house slid off the solid ice road edge into a ditch and buried my pickup. I managed to get it dug free but the ground was so slick I couldn't get any traction. Fortunately a couple drove up on side by side and helped me get free so I figured I would just head home at that point. I'll try again this coming weekend but go to an area I know I can drive right up to to without the danger of getting stuck.

Over the past two Sundays I spent 6 hours and 4 hours at the range respectively. I do not believe that the weather rose above 32F either day. One glorious day in Moses Lake WA a few years back was 0F with a foot of snow on the ground and I had the entire facility to myself. I find that the more inclement the weather, the less I have to contend for a place on the firing line. As a side note, I shoot almost exclusively from the ground and only use a bench to set my scope, lunch and drink.

Keith

Been the last few Sundays. And going again this sunday to try out my new pea-shooter. I don't care if its cold.

I went to the ARPC 2x the week or so after last. one day it was packed. the next it was pretty much free. I have plenty of ammo to last for a while so I am quite happy although i would like to be-able to buy some more 45 acp.

Cold? Huh.... Maybe that's why my mother-in-law gave me the crazy look when I was washing my truck and jeep yesterday. It really doesn't seem that cold to me.

However, it did take about a half hour to get the ice out of the hose.

I went to the ARPC 2x the week or so after last. one day it was packed. the next it was pretty much free. I have plenty of ammo to last for a while so I am quite happy although i would like to be-able to buy some more 45 acp.

FYI- BiMart here in Woodburn has TONS of .45ACP 230gr. FMJ in stock... about $21.50 per box of 50. Was just in there this evening. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top