JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been researching ARs chambered in .458 SOCOM, in order to build an upper, and have found it's difficult to lay hands on a barrel these days.

Do any of you fine individuals either know or know of a gunsmith who has the time, talent, and tools to turn such a barrel? :huh: Bonus points for those closest to Portland but all references are welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read and share!

jluck, based on what I've read on the Interwebs, Rock River doesn't sell a barrel by itself. Wilson Combat's 458 build kits are out of stock. The man who originated the cartridge, Marty ter Weeme (Teppo Jutsu), has taken some secret government contracts in past few years and has been out of the country. He turned the majority of his company's domestic business over to Southern Ballistic Research, however, SBR has been sucked into helping with Marty's contract work and has no time to fill civilian orders. There are a couple other small companies (i.e. Red Creek Tactical) who are dabbling in the 458 biz, and I have tried contacting them. After several weeks, I'm still waiting for a reply.

Doc, I meet talented folks, who have that same ability, on a monthly basis and occasionally award them with a certificate of achievement (complete with a court date).

Proof Research doesn't currently make .936 diameter barrels, although they will be producing such barrels in the future. PR also doesn't advertise any barrels chambered in 458 but, if they did, a carbon fiber barrel would equal mucho "cool points."

- Noveske is associated with PacNor and handles their finished AR barrels. They don't offer drop-in 458 barrels. Teppo Jutsu uses PacNor blanks.
- Shilen doesn't chamber AR barrels in 458.
- Hart doesn't say whether or not they work with the cartridge but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

<broken link removed> makes custom barrels from scratch, doing boring, rifling, and machining in house. They aren't cheap, but they are good. They could also rebore a .936 barrel from a smaller caliber to .458 and chamber it for you.

Sounds like you know your stuff. So, you should already know that in order to get a genuine 458 SOCOM you have to order and wait from, RRA, Wilson, or SBR. Period. There are knock off chamber reamers made by PTG, already referenced above. PTG is an awesome company to do business with. As it turns out they are semi local as well, down in White City, OR. I'm sure their reamer will work fine, but its not genuine and has been reversed engineered. So, best bet for you is buy the reamer and blank and take it to a barrel maker and say, go.

El Wrongo!! Two weeks ago I ordered a Black Hole Weaponry 16" 458 Socom barrel and bolt from Tactical Ammunition .com. About $350 for the barrel.

It's funny... The 458 socom is still new and cool, yes, But its not made of pixie farts and unicorn tears. I was asking my gun smith about this for this thread and a family member has started a socom build and his reply was....(wait for it).... Uh... is there a blank and reamer available? Me-(yep!).
Him- Pretty simple project then.

Really how do people think the "makers" do it?

El Wrongo!! Two weeks ago I ordered a Black Hole Weaponry 16" 458 Socom barrel and bolt from Tactical Ammunition .com. About $350 for the barrel.

Maybe you should email Marty and ask him what he thinks about that. BH has never been a licensed 458 barrel maker. Its a trademarked and individually licensed reamer and BH doesn't have it. So, sorry your wrong. You bought a knockoff 458 SOCOM barrel.

It's funny... The 458 socom is still new and cool, yes, But its not made of pixie farts and unicorn tears. I was asking my gun smith about this for this thread and a family member has started a socom build and his reply was....(wait for it).... Uh... is there a blank and reamer available? Me-(yep!).
Him- Pretty simple project then.

Really how do people think the "makers" do it?

The deal is, that there is a knockoff reamer made by PTG and maybe some other custom reamer tool maker, but fact of the matter is, is that anything anyone buys that isn't Teppo, RRA, SBR, or Wilson is a knockoff.

And while you may be right about the SOCOM not being made of pixie dust and unicorn farts, you'll be greatly disappointed when you can't find brass, and when you do its usually being sold by some guy trying to make a buck on flipping it when it goes back out of stock. .458" bullets aren't overly abundant but they can be found. (Best bet here is to cast your own) and primers are nothing. Powder on the other hand is extremely scarce and your options for powders that will work in a socom are pretty limited from the get got anyways. And if you aren't reloading for it. Factory ammo is virtually non existent and when it is its usually loaded so hot its scary and unreliable.

The deal is, that there is a knockoff reamer made by PTG and maybe some other custom reamer tool maker, but fact of the matter is, is that anything anyone buys that isn't Teppo, RRA, SBR, or Wilson is a knockoff.

So what? To some this just don't matter. And soon this cartridge should have SAMMI cert. (At least it should).

The knock off market might be the best way for a while, I believe "Marty" is neck deep with Government contracts and not even planning on coming back to this country for a long while.

And while you may be right about the SOCOM not being made of pixie dust and unicorn farts, you'll be greatly disappointed when you can't find brass, and when you do its usually being sold by some guy trying to make a buck on flipping it when it goes back out of stock. .458" bullets aren't overly abundant but they can be found. (Best bet here is to cast your own) and primers are nothing. Powder on the other hand is extremely scarce and your options for powders that will work in a socom are pretty limited from the get got anyways. And if you aren't reloading for it. Factory ammo is virtually non existent and when it is its usually loaded so hot its scary and unreliable.

Does this second part change with where someone gets there barrel from? It is irrelevant conjecture. Most people desiring to build or own one (I don't) should know the current pit falls of this round.

So what? To some this just don't matter. And soon this cartridge should have SAMMI cert. (At least it should).

The knock off market might be the best way for a while, I believe "Marty" is neck deep with Government contracts and not even planning on coming back to this country for a long while.

Does this second part change with where someone gets there barrel from? It is irrelevant conjecture. Most people desiring to build or own one (I don't) should know the current pit falls of this round.

Haha soon? You know something the rest of the world doesnt know? Sammi spec will probably never happen with the 458. For reasons you should probably already know if you know as much as you already do.

And the reason why a guy (maybe a standup guy) wouldn't own or buy or make a knockoff barrel is simple. You rob Marty of his dividends by doing it the knockoff way. He is paid every time a 458 barrel is made by any of the licensed makers. Just know you'll never receive support on the 458 forum when they find out you own or made a knockoff.

I made my own barrel from a .458 blank I had, and used the PTG reamer. PTG got permission to make the reamer. They just dont steal designs. Call them and ask!

I built bolt and a semi ro play with. I am my own support group...

They have good company with all the Ackley knockoff's and others I have built!

I made my own barrel from a .458 blank I had, and used the PTG reamer. PTG got permission to make the reamer. They just dont steal designs. Call them and ask!

I built bolt and a semi ro play with. I am my own support group...

They have good company with all the Ackley knockoff's and others I have built!

Really? Well I wonder why it is that you can't get a genuine reamer from Dave Manson (the maker of genuine reamers) then? I've talked with Dave before (from PTG) and he is a great guy. I'm sorry to have to break the news to ya but they don't have original, genuine, 458 SOCOM chamber specs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top