JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Run it until it won't shoot or hit the broadside of that preverbal barn anymore, then post it up for sale and let the next guy clean it. Come on 10/22's are cheap lil plinkers and are on sale often but even better barrels are cheap and plentiful, just shove a fiberglass rod down its throat and be done with it..........:s0140:

As may people have already suggested, a standard bore snake (with built-in wire brush) works well.

Also, my Otis Ripcord has the standard, 8-32-sized female threaded receptacle on the end, and I can run a short phosphor bronze brush from the breech through the barrel a couple of times. I can't tell if that works any better than the traditional bore snake, but it is an option.

Nice thing about the 10/22 - if you FU the muzzle, there are lots of folks selling takeoff barrels for reasonable prices. Replacement is not a major expense or effort.

Love my 10/22.

I remove the stock, spray the piss out of it with WD40 and run a snake down it's throat a couple times. That's it.

Split the cost with some friends, and everyone can use it.
Ok, now that is just COOL. Never knew it existed. Great suggestion about splitting cost.

Thanks @808hondacrguy!

Ok heres a beginner question I should know by now. But I dont shoot my 22 much and have always just been reaaallllly careful cleaning the barrel from the muzzle. I clean all guns from the breech, but I dont want to take the 10-22 barrel off the reciever to clean it. I have a really nice custom barrel too.

How do you clean your 10-22 barrel without taking the barrel off and protecting the crown?
Bore snake.

I don't own a 10/22, but recall years ago building one with a .920" OD target barrel from Midway USA., also recall purchasing a Delrin or similar type material bore guide that tightly slipped over the muzzle of the target profile barrel which protected the crown when cleaning from the muzzle end.

It worked fine from what I recall.

Something like this:

I would use a bore snake and I also wouldn't hesitate to use a single piece cleaning rod from the muzzle just be careful not to contact the crown each time or use a bore guide for it. I think concerns about cleaning from the muzzle are old myths passed on mostly. It's not like the rod/jag is made out of diamond and the crown is made out of wax. Just use common sense and don't beat up the crown. Some of the carbon fiber rods are thin and very strong and of course will not harm the metal unless you are being a drunk bubba with it. My experience anyway, never an issue with the 3 10-22s I have had or the countless other 22s I've cleaned this way. My favorite bore snake is real avid brand fwiw. Have had great luck with those and they clean extremely well.

Last Edited:
10-22's I run them till they stop shooting then do a 100% take down, clean and reassemble. In-between all that Boresnake and wipe downs.

I drill mine:

10-22 Drill Hole.jpg

I was reading all of this and giving thought to drilling the rear access...

Then I remembered that I have the "Takedown". I knew there was a reason that I had not done that mod.

I have a bull barrel on mine (.920 ?), a kevlar stock, and a cheap Bushnell 3x9 1" scope. It shoots minute of ground squirrel at 100yds, and rings steel shooting offhand/freehand at 125yds.

Cleaning? What is this "cleaning"? ;)

I'd probably pull the barrel before drilling the receiver, but that's a good way to do it, too.
Personally I only owned the 2 10-22's I've had for less than a year combined. Ruger makes a good product, but the 10-22 just doesn't do "it" for me.

I'd probably pull the barrel before drilling the receiver, but that's a good way to do it, too.
Personally I only owned the 2 10-22's I've had for less than a year combined. Ruger makes a good product, but the 10-22 just doesn't do "it" for me.
I dont want to have to rezero every time I clean.

the plain stock 10-22s dont really do it for me either so I modified mine and like it now. I never played with the stock barrel so I dont even know if I improved anything but it looks attractive and is enjoyable to shoot.

Id like to add a nice trigger if I can find a drop in one, if anyone has recommendations Id be grateful.

It's ruger brand. Try more pricey name triggers and it's hundreds of $$
The Ruger brand trigger is probably as high as I want to go. I didnt know they made one, last I looked it was at some higher end ones and are too much for just a plinkin squirrel gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top