JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok heres a beginner question I should know by now. But I dont shoot my 22 much and have always just been reaaallllly careful cleaning the barrel from the muzzle. I clean all guns from the breech, but I dont want to take the 10-22 barrel off the reciever to clean it. I have a really nice custom barrel too.

How do you clean your 10-22 barrel without taking the barrel off and protecting the crown?

I also use a rod from the muzzle, super careful when guiding it in. Twist the brush on inside the receiver and pull back through, repeating with patches.
I might just get a bore snake for this one rifle, or i'm contemplating drilling a hole in the receiver to make it easier.

I also use a rod from the muzzle, super careful when guiding it in. Twist the brush on inside the receiver and pull back through, repeating with patches.
This. I think this will work fine. Thanks for the tip.
I might just get a bore snake for this one rifle, or i'm contemplating drilling a hole in the receiver to make it easier.
This actually has merit, there are some custom receivers that have them.
Im stuck with a factory original though.

This actually has merit, there are some custom receivers that have them.
Im stuck with a factory original though.
Mine's original as well. I've seen pictures and tutorials online about how to find the exact spot to drill, there's even a hand held guide someone sells for it.
From what I can tell, it's easy to find the spot, it doesn't have to be perfect as the rod has some wiggle room. I have a drill press, but some have good success with a cordless.

I assume the receiver might lose some value, but as of now I never plan to sell that rifle.

Mine's original as well. I've seen pictures and tutorials online about how to find the exact spot to drill, there's even a hand held guide someone sells for it.
From what I can tell, it's easy to find the spot, it doesn't have to be perfect as the rod has some wiggle room. I have a drill press, but some have good success with a cordless.

I assume the receiver might lose some value, but as of now I never plan to sell that rifle.
I dont really think of factory Ruger receivers as "high end" and would consider this... one question I have is there a cap to put on it to prevent dirt/debris from entering the action? edit: the stock will cover the hole
I actually (rarely) hunt with mine...

Last Edited:
Brownells-BRN-22-Stripped-and-Barreled-Receivers-for-Ruger-1022-Rifles-4.jpg
Brownells

I drilled a hole in my receiver to clean the rifle from the breach. Works great and not that hard to do.
My opinion of bore snakes is they are fine for cleaning in the field but not a substitute for a good cleaning
with a cleaning rod bore brush and patches. Let the Hoppe's # 9 soak overnight. Repeat until patches
come out clean the next day.

Boresnake.

Push the rod from the muzzle with patches.

If scrubbing, push the rod from the muzzle with no brush and screw the brush on from inside the receiver. Pull it back out and unscrew it. Repeat.

Somewhat time consuming but it also doesn't take much to clean it either.

The problem with the butthole is u still have to remove action from frame and get the dang bolt out before u sodomize it. PITA. Gunscrub spray and boresnake are the way to go until you graduate to a Tippman AR22 or a precision bolt gun.

The problem with the butthole is u still have to remove action from frame and get the dang bolt out before u sodomize it. PITA.
Yup, because the whole things held together with pressfit pins that will wear out faster. Love the 10-22 but its not the greatest design to properly clean.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top