JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Beats running down to a pay phone to do it if I could even find a pay phone these days :D

One of my sideline businesses back in the day was managing about 500 payphones for 3 different vendors. I would go to the payphone location and clean up the phone, yuck... people suck with ketchup and hot sauce in the coin slot... remove the coin, and replace the phone book that people always ripped off. Sometimes I'd have to kick a drunk out of a phone booth and the smell of pizz would have me doing a removal at that location... did I mention people suck? Other times I'd have to wait for somebody to get off the stinkin phone... Hispanic field workers calling home on a phone card... they just would not give up the phone and I'd have to wait or come back... Did I mention that people suck??

Now when I travel I rarely see a payphone, even the po folks have cellphones. But back in the day I was pulling in $3000/mo gross with that biz. Not bad for a sideline.:D

Last Edited:
Now when I travel I rarely see a payphone, even the po folks have cellphones. But back in the day I was pulling in $3000/mo gross with that biz. Not bad for a sideline.:D

Yep pay phones seem to be going the way of so many other things that the next generation will not know what they were when you mention one. Like rotary phones:D. It did not take long after cells became common to notice a lot of places where one or more of them had been to become a spot on a wall where you could still see the outline of them. Now the rare times I actually see someone talking on one it seems a strange sight. Hell if I "needed" one right now I could not for the life of me tell you where the nearest one is. Would have to start driving around looking for one. some scrap yards must have ended up with piles of the damn things while back. I remember when malls and places like Airports and train stations had HUGE islands of them all clustered together.

I do not own a cell phone of any type...smart or dumb.
Just use a landline.

One of the many reasons I enjoy being outside away from the house is to get away from the phone , TV , computers and the like...So no cell phone for me.
Andy
Yeah I know .
The only way I can get in touch with you is on here.
Lol .
Well I think you gave me your landline number.
I will have to check my smart phone and see if I put it in there.

We don't own smartphones, smartphones own us. You cannot be human without one.

"It is a hard way, the way of being a man. Sooner or later we all want a thing that is bad. To walk on all fours. To suck up drink from a stream. To jabber, instead of saying the words. To go snuffling at the earth, and to claw on the bark of trees. To eat flesh, or fish. To make love to more than one, every which way. These are all bad things. These are not the things that men do. But we are men, are we not? We are men because the Father has made us men!"

I have a dumb phone, and now with my fire tablet i make most of my calls using voip for free. I am afraid that alexa is spying on me, could have sworn i heard her snicker when i got out of the shower.

Yep pay phones seem to be going the way of so many other things that the next generation will not know what they were when you mention one. Like rotary phones:D. It did not take long after cells became common to notice a lot of places where one or more of them had been to become a spot on a wall where you could still see the outline of them. Now the rare times I actually see someone talking on one it seems a strange sight. Hell if I "needed" one right now I could not for the life of me tell you where the nearest one is. Would have to start driving around looking for one. some scrap yards must have ended up with piles of the damn things while back. I remember when malls and places like Airports and train stations had HUGE islands of them all clustered together.

A friend wanted one of my phone booths.... he put it way out in the woods on a mining road overlooking his mine. People would stop and scratch their heads. Who ya gonna call? He also had a telescope and a collection bowl... $0.25 to look at all the "stuff" he had at his mine. :D

We never had a smart phone until a few years ago. Wifey found out that if she needed to call her employees trying to get someone to cover a call-in that they wouldn't answer the phone. They would respond immediately to a text. o_O Most times. I don't know how to use the smart parts of it. I might be able to answer the phone when it rang, maybe. I'd have to recognize the ring first I guess. I does come in handy when were driving in somewhat unfamiliar ares to see where I should turn, and such things. Looking up a business while we're on the road. I'd be up SC if she was gone as far as doing smart stuff with the phone though.

I made a bet with my 15yo daughter a month ago that she couldn't stay off her phone for 12 waking hours. The wager $60 and a whole month off of chores. This is my last week doing her chores and I'll never do that bet with her again! I have 3 others older than her, they could never have done that!!! There is hope!:D

The thread title says it all.

Our auto insurance folks said they'd give us a discount if we loaded their app. on our smart phone & always keep it on and with us - no can do and have no plans to buy one.

The ubiquity of these things is astounding, but they're not for me.

So, are their any other fossils like me, who have zero interest in owning a smart phone?

We do not have a smart or dumb telephone. No cellular telephone here.

We have a land line - home telephone. We have an old fashioned but newer answering machine.

NO caller id - they can be spoofed as the news has been telling us.

NO additional stuff - just a ringer that goes on and OFF. We use the OFF position on a regular basis! Grin. We do glance at the answering machine on and off during the day/night.

I am sick and tired of telemarketers! The creeps and hacks spoof caller id systems. Been there - done that when I used the fancy, additional services or features through my telephone company - home telephone in the PAST for a brief time.

If a person needs to get in touch with us - LEAVE A MESSAGE! And if there is NO message, it must not be that important.

My older sister has MANY features on her cellular telephone and she does not even listen to her voice mail that much but she TEXTS or types (?) on IT to an old friend. WHY have all of those features if you don't even use them?

Another thing that I absolutely detest is call waiting when you are on a personal or business call. I know that people want IT if there is an EMERGENCY and someone needs to contact them but give me a break! It is downright RUDE in a normal conversation with NO emergency going on and another person keeps breaking away or if a dang telemarketer is breaking in constantly on a call while you are on hold. I tell those people that if we plan to talk - let us talk and if they want to keep on breaking up the conversation - they must not think that the conversation is worth it or that interesting. Yes, I have been that BLUNT with some people in the past!

In my opinion, the above paragraph with call waiting is just as RUDE and stupid when a man and woman are eating out and they DO NOT TALK but keep looking at their telephones and/or type on them while out on a date (?!?) or for any other personal/business reason.

Plus some people have their VERY young children or teens do the same thing while they are out with them or at home at the dinner table! They literally can't enjoy the outdoors/sunshine or GO any place unless they have their telephones with them - they are addicted for sure! Telephones should NOT be allowed at the dinner table if you are eating a meal at home with your family. My opinion - your mileage may vary.

NO television should be on while you eat a meal together. The family should TALK TO EACH OTHER while eating a nice simple or fancy meal in your dining room, kitchen, picnic table, etc.

I use the telephone to TALK to another person for personal reasons or for BUSINESS.

I hand write old fashioned letters and thank you notes.

I rarely do ANY type of email and it is usually for real estate since I am still looking at property in and out of state.

How can a TEXT OR TYPING on a telephone be any faster than calling/dialing a number and asking a simple question or leaving information? I do NOT understand that at all!

I make enough typos with my arthritic hands on a simple computer - forget those smaller items - NO way would they work for ME!

I figure if people LIKE THEM or LOVE THEM - use them. To each their own and it is their business not mine.

But people sure think that people who don't USE THEM (ANY type of cellular telephones - smart or dumb!) are odd - I have seen and heard that happen over and over again to ME not just to my husband AND not just when it comes to business!

I like to use MAPS on paper. I liked to use old fashioned telephone booths if I needed one especially when I was a younger lady traveling and when I lived in the tiny beach cottage - Nam era - USN era bride.

Old Lady Cate

Andy,

I thought that the initials meant PBS in a typo but I remembered that some hikers, mountain climbers, hunters and skiers have those locater systems since I saw it on our OTA - tiny indoor antenna boob tube LOCAL news. I personally would not have one and my husband would not have one either.

I am not knocking people who like them and choose to use them in the great outdoors. I am not one of them.

Most of the places that we go to do NOT have reception for cellular telephones too. That includes places where people think that they CAN get reception until they find out that they can't get it with ANY TYPE of cellular telephone and using ANY company out here too!

My MT husband had to have a c.t. for work as I have mentioned here on this forum in the past and he hated it. He said that it was like carrying a HEAVY ROCK around even though it was NOT heavy. It was NOT a smart telephone and it had NO camera and NO text ability.

And if WE would ever get one for traveling more, which I doubt, we would have NO camera and NO text stuff on it either.

Take care.

Cate

Our auto insurance folks said they'd give us a discount if we loaded their app. on our smart phone & always keep it on and with us - no can do and have no plans to buy one.

So, are their any other fossils like me, who have zero interest in owning a smart phone?
Getting 666 tattooed on your forehead is way cheaper.

Most of you suckers probably have a 1979 radio shack home stereo with wood grain!
Hahaha
I'd love to ditch the smart phone. But I couldn't hold a job at the places I work for. But I must say it's nice to have a smart phone. I use it to get stuff done on the fly!

Flip phone for me too. Nice to see people other then me and Gibbs (NCIS:cool:) stay with them. My friends say, "I called and you didn't answer." I don't carry it. Even hunting. It's usually on the desk, sun visor of my truck or on my tool box. Last year I lost it for 5 days. It was in the saddle bag on my bike. Too bad, I never missed it. Wife charges her smart phone every night and cost $17 a month extra to have. Mines paid for. Mine the battery lasts 3 weeks on a charge.

Last Edited:
My friends say, "I called and you didn't answer." I don't carry it. Even hunting.

Sometimes I'll have people tell me they tried to get a hold of me. They'll say "I texted you!". They usually get sort of a dumb look on their face when I tell them they were texting my land line.

I wish texting would go away. It's all bassackwards. The original text went through one wire, and used Morse Code. The first TV screens were something like five inches.

Landline, prepaid flip phone for texts or emergencies. Stays off mostly, and if someone really has a reason to get ahold of me they can call the landline (I might pick up if I recognize the number) and leave a message. Not doing the spy-nanny thing. I live my life just fine without having a phone permanently attached to my hand. However, out in ZombieVille, it appears the majority cannot function without constantly checking, tapping, scrolling, fondling the little bits of plastic, glass and metal that have now replaced their brain. Take that left turn off the asphalt and up a dirt road, snow banks getting higher and higher and the road narrower and narrower, cuz the snooty gps voice app told you it's the road to where ya wanna go? Why, sure, say the Zombies! There's nothing I need on a "smart phone". They are designed to make you stupid.

What's a smart phone? All I have is dumber than a rock and has a wire running out the back end!
And I have to push number keys on it to call someone. Sure beats the Semaphore :rolleyes:.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top