JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The thread title says it all.

Our auto insurance folks said they'd give us a discount if we loaded their app. on our smart phone & always keep it on and with us - no can do and have no plans to buy one.

The ubiquity of these things is astounding, but they're not for me.

So, are their any other fossils like me, who have zero interest in owning a smart phone?

Work with a few who do not own or show interest in one. Never really mattered much to me as I don't own stock in the people who make them. For me they are one of those things that once tried I would not be without now that they are so cheap. I did refuse to get one when they were so expensive I could buy a working car for the price of the damn phone :D Still know one guy who will not even use a cell phone of any kind, just not interested. To each his own kind of thing.

I have no smart phone.
I have a 14 year old Samsung flip phone.
I don't text, I don't play idiotic games, I don't watch movies on a 3 inch screen.
It's a phone. I make calls on it. When I'm done I turn it off.
Anyone wants to get a hold of me call my attorney.
He will forward your call..................o_O
If you're lucky I'll have the phone turned on.

I have a prepaid flip phone, 25 cent per min. I pay 25 bucks every 3 months to roll over the min.I have a 500.00 credit witch is the max they allow. No I don't use it much.

I have one because I have less problems with it than computers for whatever reason. Yes, they're still limited, and I dont like data tracking a whole lot .

But.....it makes keeping track of work stuff far easier having one.

I get envious occasionally of people that dont have them though.

I have a prepaid flip phone, 25 cent per min. I pay 25 bucks every 3 months to roll over the min.I have a 500.00 credit witch is the max they allow. No I don't use it much.

I have one of those "burner phones" that I keep for"just in case" like that. Every 3 months I buy a new card for airtime to keep it active. I originally bought it for in case something happens to my phone as we long ago got rid of the land lines. So if phone screws up I would have no way to call and get it going. It's also on a different carrier so if ours goes down that one may work. It has thousands of minutes on it now from rolling over that will never get used . Have used it a few times at work when co worker forgot his phone at home. I would hand it to them, tell them give the number to other half so if they needed them they could call them. Worth the cost to have if needed. Have had to use it a few times when I bought a new phone. When trying to transfer my account on line from old phone to new phone. Couple times I ended up with both new and old no longer working and had to call the customer service to get them to fix it. Beats running down to a pay phone to do it if I could even find a pay phone these days :D

I do not own a cell phone of any type...smart or dumb.
Just use a landline.

One of the many reasons I enjoy being outside away from the house is to get away from the phone , TV , computers and the like...So no cell phone for me.
Andy

My ancient mom does not have one. My ancient mother in law does. Entire family gets random calls and hang ups from MIL day and night. She still gets out and about, road trips and overnights to various places with her pal who drives. But when it comes to phones, she can only answer the landline in her house without hanging up on the caller. Cell phones/smartphones are not for everyone.

Last Edited:
I finally caved in a couple years ago and acquired an iPhone (runs iOS). But I used a "dumb" phone for years before that. I also have one of those el cheapo prepaid phones as a backup and it has smart phone capabilities (runs Android), though I don't use it much.

I have an old flip dumb phone that is connected by bluetooth to a multi-handset system in my home.. When I'm home I plug it into my charger (office) and can either answer it or the ones in the bedroom or family room or kitchen. If I leave the house I take it with me (if I feel like it). It re-connects automatically when I get home. My wife has a smart-phone and also connects it to the same system. It rings differently for each phone, and if we ever want/need a landline again ... it'll do that too with a third ring and an answering machine.
Made by Panasonic, bought it at Costco.

Someday I guess I'll get a smart-phone when this one quits or is no longer supported....
.... but, it definitely won't be because I wore it out! :rolleyes:

Samsung Rugby flip phone for me. Never had a smart? phone, and hope to never have one.

Unlike smart?phones, I don't have to 'upgrade' every 2 years at astronomical prices. I lost my last one, bought this one on Amazon for $45. Good to go.

Another bonus of no smart? phone, I don't have neck problems.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

I do not own a cell phone of any type...smart or dumb.
Just use a landline.

One of the many reasons I enjoy being outside away from the house is to get away from the phone , TV , computers and the like...So no cell phone for me.
Andy
Just curious - when you're out hiking do you not go very far, take a PLB, or just imagine yourself dealing with anything should the proverbial cow pie hit the fan? (Its a pretty close race, but my PLB just takes the edge on most important thing I bring into backcountry trips)

On topic - I've got two smartphones, and a real itching desire to ditch them both...maybe you all posting here will give me the motivation.

Last Edited:
Just curious - when you're out hiking do you not go very far, take a PSB, or just imagine yourself dealing with anything should the proverbial cow pie hit the fan? (Its a pretty close race, but my PSB just takes the edge on most important thing I bring into backcountry trips)
Sometimes I go far...others times not so far...
I do take gear to help me out if the poop hits the fan...but nope...no phone
Andy
Edit to add :
Most places I go...there is no cell phone coverage and I have no idea what a PSB is....:eek: :D

You can keep those smart phones, smart TVs, smart cars, smart security systems, I don't want no devices outsmarting me and taking over. Besides it would be rough letting go of my old flip phone, it reminds me too much of the original Star Trek communicator. :D

I have a talk and text (hate texting) only phone. I have 2 daughters, otherwise I would not have it. Oh yeah, I also have
a wife. The 3 of them are always on my arse to "upgrade". Little do they know how much I hate it. Before cell phones
people were able to change their own tire and they didn't run outta gas "cause they knew there was no bail out. They
planned ahead and basically got there on time. You can BS your azz off on a text but it becomes much more difficult
face to face. I dont need to play a stupid game when I have a spare moment, a peaceful relax is so much better. And
reading on that bitty screen sucks. Kinda hate the net as well but like being here. OK, gonna take my soap box and
retreat now.

Sometimes I go far...others times not so far...
I do take gear to help me out if the poop hits the fan...but nope...no phone
Andy
Edit to add :
Most places I go...there is no cell phone coverage and I have no idea what a PSB is....:eek: :D
Whoops - fat fingered it or something. Meant to type PLB for personal locator beacon. It's a GPS device that sends out a signal so that your loved ones can come pick up your body...you know, for when things get really bad ;)

We didn't have a phone of any kind for years on end.

How did we ever survive in the past without one

Oh right, food/water and shelter seemed more important...phones, nah and not now either...

However, I love watching videos of people staring at their phone as they walk into a fountain or into a hole and on and on.

The one I didn't enjoy was a driver texting and driving smack into a tree...a big, big tree!

I have a cell phone. and an Iwatch. I like it when siri tells me there is a wreck ahead in the left lane and he suggests another route, which I usually don't take because I'm stubborn and end up regretting it sitting in traffic for an hour. I like to be able to google search things when needed and have siri remind me of everything that I need to remember....:s0140:

I've had a cellphone since I started my home inspection biz.... It was a real PITA to have to find a pay phone when the realtor and clients didn't show up to a job to let me in da frickin house. Really messes with the schedule to start an hour late but the realtor always thought they were more important. That phone was an old Motorola brick. When cell service went digital, I had to buy a new phone... it was a Nokia candy bar style phone... no flip. I had a number of those kind of phones over the years.

I later bought a slider keyboard phone, because the daughter wouldn't answer my calls and would only text. I hate trying to converse over text!!! Just forget it.

I bought a smart phone because the keyboard phones were so hard to use for a person with fat fingers. I don't use hardly any data services. But the weather apps are good. I also have a Safeway app for deep discounts. And have used the navigator a couple of times when I was too lazy to hook up the Magellan.

We ditched the landline after I retired. Bought my wife a smartphone. She has a very minimal data use. Our cell service is Page Plus, a Verizon reseller, and the plan cost us $10/mo/phone for 500 minutes and 500 texts.

A couple of friends and relatives remain resistant and only have flip phones. It's often a PITA not to be able to send them a quick text for notification of something or other when I really don't want to have a real conversation. It's also a bummer not to be able to send my 94 yr old mom pics... she lives far away and doesn't do anything electronic. So sharing the lives of the kids, grandkids, great-grandkids... is something that isn't happening. She's missing out!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads