JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
and let them shoot?

Clearly we look at the 4473 or 922g for guidance.
- no Felons
- not a user of illegal drugs
- no x-wives
- etc.

But what is the complete list?

I have taken foreign co-workers. Those here on a H1B visa.
But not all Visa holders are permitted - and it can result in the host committing a felony.

Does someone have an authoritative list?

Come from England or Japan for a short visit? Feel free to shoot at a range! Return on a student visa? Federal felony for you (and friends who take you) if you go shooting. Unless, of course, you've gotten a hunting license -- even if the range visit is completely unrelated to the hunting.
Many Foreign Tourists -- and Most Foreign Students -- Are Barred from Going to Shooting Ranges

So people who are on short-term trips from a Visa Waiver Program country (most European, East Asian, and Pacific democracies, plus Brunei and Chile), or countries as to which we have similar visa-free entry rules (Canada and Bermuda, I think), are not forbidden by federal law from renting a gun at a shooting range, or even buying or borrowing a gun to keep at their temporary home. But if they're tourists or short-term business visitors from, say, China or India or Israel or Mexico or Brazil -- trips for which a visa is required -- then they are so forbidden; likewise if they're here for an extended stay as a student or a business traveler.

Related see the Rental of Firearm On-Premises section of this ATF publication

OP, your question asks "and let them shoot". I think you are meaning you let them shoot your guns(s), it's another story if the range lets them shoot their guns, at least I think it is.

If you or I furnish a gun to someone who we should have known is not legally allowed to posses guns, that is a problem. Beyond that I figure it's up to the possesor to know their own status. I've never been to, or been a member of a range, that asked if I'm a prohibited person, even ranges that rent guns.

In any event, I'm pretty darn careful about who I let handle or shoot my guns, I like to know them first.

So in the Speed Steel area, some of the best shooters are from Japan. They cannot own firearms. They practice with AirSoft type weapons.
Then they come to the USA and someone, sponsor, provides a weapon at the range and they compete.
Wonder what VISA they have - some kind of Sporting - like any foreign Golfer, Tennis player. Are teams treated differently? Or would the organizers just get them a hunting license?

OP, your question asks "and let them shoot". I think you are meaning you let them shoot your guns(s), it's another story if the range lets them shoot their guns, at least I think it is.
If I drive a co-worker to a Rental Range, Then I think it would be on the Owner of the Range to ensure compliance.
If I take them to a range to shoot my guns, then it is on me (same - owner of the weapon).

The one phrase which came up is "nonimmigrant visa."
A Green Card holder may own, rent, borrow, firearms if not otherwise prohibited.
Green Cards are for Resident Aliens.

Nonimmigrant Aliens | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa possess a firearm or ammunition in the United States? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Can an alien who enters the United States on a nonimmigrant alien visa rent a firearm for lawful hunting or sporting purposes while in the United States? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

So...
One of the "draws" to my firearm's displays , is that I will allow you to hold / handle my antique firearms and if place permitting , shoot one.
I understand that in many places antiques or replicas thereof are not considered "firearms" and are exempt from many laws but....

The actual handling of a firearm can impart more of a safety and history lesson , than just seeing it.
Seems a shame that in this day and age , the sharing of a firearm to teach , can land you with a fine or jail time.
Andy

Seems a shame that in this day and age , the sharing of a firearm to teach , can land you with a fine or jail time.

Agreed, completely.

And I find it both bizarre and lamentable that firearms are viewed with such paranoia by some these days. They are most certainly a powerful tool and one that requires a mature, knowledgeable, and safe operator. But at the end of they day, they are just inanimate objects.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top