JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at getting a full size diesel truck 3/4 ton and right now I am leaning towards an 06 or 07 Dodge cummins 5.9L. My question is should I consider a Ford or chevy because of some unknown issue I haven't heard of? I thought I have done all my homework but I could be wrong. Am I missing anything?

Any and all feedback is appreciated but, please give me your logical reasoning behind your choice(s).

SF-

Stick with Dodge or Ford, stay away from the duramax isuzu motors... I love the chevy trucks but hate the duramax/allison. Have had 2 bad expericences with them, and know of about 5 more people with trouble with them... Dodge is a good choice, but it all depends on what year range you are looking at.

My ultimate truck goes something like this...

7.3L Powerstroke or 5.9 cummins, with dodge or new ford chasis and suspension, Dodge or Ford 6spd manual trans, on a New chevy body with a chevy interior or the Ford King Ranch version interior.

Im on my 3rd diesel truck, I have had 2 chevys and a Ford, I got the ford for a rediculus price, so that is why I have it, It rides like a dumptruck, I will be upgrading to 4link suspension front and back soon. but I have been the last one to get stuck, and never had any trouble with the motor, or trans in any way... I'm at 140000 mi and think I will at least get to 300000.

I would avoid chevy and any ford with leaf springs up front unless you want to change them over to 4 link. I would stick with new ford or most dodge..
DSCF0812.jpg

For having 7.3L of displacement.... 22mpg is not bad!!!

Stay away from Chevy, nothing but problems with their current production, since the early 2000's. Fords are great but they don't get the best gas mileage. I'd go with a Dodge for the Cummins.

I say get the Chevy I have had nothing but problems with my old powerstrokes. The Cummins is a great engine but dodge has bad trannys. Chevy has the best of both worlds best trannys on the market Alisson and the Duramax I say is 2nd to the cummins for engine but way better gas millage. Though all 3 are decent whichever one you get the best deal on may be the way to go. any of them will do over 300,000 miles.

If you don't know how to shift or use a clutch, there is an argument to be made for the Allison/Chevy.
If you do however, and want longevity in your powerplant, get the Dodge.
If you insist on a Ford, carry a spare Cam Position Sensor (CPS) and learn to install it in the field, or you will find yourself stranded at some point.

The Dodge 4x4 Cummins in the driveway is pushing 150k with few troubles, none that affect reliability. One should not spill cola in the window switches though :(. 22+mpg on the hwy @70mph, pulls like a semi, rides nice and gets almost 18mpg with 4000lbs of boat on the back.

Last Edited:
If you don't know how to shift or use a clutch, there is an argument to be made for the Allison/Chevy.
If you do however, and want longevity in your powerplant, get the Dodge.
If you insist on a Ford, carry a spare Cam Position Sensor (CPS) and learn to install it in the field, or you will find yourself stranded at some point.

The Dodge Cummins in the driveway is pushing 150k with few troubles, none that affect reliability. One should not spill cola in the window switches though :(. 22+mpg on the hwy @70mph, pulls like a semi, rides nice and gets almost 18mpg with 4000lbs of boat on the back.

Been there! :(

Are the newer (less than 4 years old) Dodge's better in the transmission reliability department?? I've heard the older ones had tranny problems.

The only problems so far with my '06 F350 have been a fuel pump that went out a few months ago. Other than that the thing runs great and pulls my loaded 18' enclosed trailer so well I can't even tell it's back there. :s0155:

Go on- line and see how many class action lawsuits are filed against the Big Three in relation to their respective diesel engines. Ford has the most, by a long shot. Dodge has the least. They all have their specific problems.

I work in the diesel industry.

Get the Dodge (Cummins). Cummins motors are the best IMO.

Also, get a 06, not a 07. There is a whole other level of emissions equipment (Diesel Particulate Filters) that became EPA mandated in 07.

Wait for 2010 diesels. Then there will be yet another level of emissions, now requiring you pour watered down pig piss called DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) in the truck (seperate tank) as well.

Cummins, they can burn and it is approved for Jet A and less electronics to go wrong... I know many with ford's and chevs that have replaced the engines with Cummins. stay away from the druamax!! Everyone I know with a duramax has had trouble.

I'd go with a Dodge.

I own a 2003 7.3 F-350...bigest POS I've every owned. Within 22k miles I had gone thru the transmission 3 times and the rear-end once.

I pull a 11k fifth wheeler, which isn't near the 13k it is rated for....I have Dodge's pass me by on nearly every hills. When we camp I walk around asking what they've done to their trucks...most of the time the answer is the same....nothing.

I've added a large intake, exhaust, programmer, gauages, extra large tranny cooler, but I get no power when pulling.

Driving around town I get good pickup and mileage (16-18 mpg), pulling on flat land I get 11-12 mpg and on hills/mountains 8-9 mpg.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am in this truck. Wish I could find a REALLY good tranny shop (that I could trust!!) and have them do a once over to find out what the problem could be.

Stick with a Dodge...everyone I know loves theirs.

I'd go with a Dodge.

I own a 2003 7.3 F-350...bigest POS I've every owned. Within 22k miles I had gone thru the transmission 3 times and the rear-end once.

I pull a 11k fifth wheeler, which isn't near the 13k it is rated for....I have Dodge's pass me by on nearly every hills. When we camp I walk around asking what they've done to their trucks...most of the time the answer is the same....nothing.

I've added a large intake, exhaust, programmer, gauages, extra large tranny cooler, but I get no power when pulling.

Driving around town I get good pickup and mileage (16-18 mpg), pulling on flat land I get 11-12 mpg and on hills/mountains 8-9 mpg.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am in this truck. Wish I could find a REALLY good tranny shop (that I could trust!!) and have them do a once over to find out what the problem could be.

Stick with a Dodge...everyone I know loves theirs.

And the dodge is 6 cylinder vs 8 cylinder ford/gm... As for the tranny if diesel go manual will solve the issue quickly. automatics cannot handle the power of a diesel.

I know of the GM's 4l60e & 4l80e the sunshell is weak "sheetmetal" should be upgraded to a milled unit also the clutch packs & seals are weak + many other issues.

QUOTE]Stay away from Chevy, nothing but problems with their current production, since the early 2000's. Fords are great but they don't get the best gas mileage. I'd go with a Dodge for the Cummins. [/QUOTE]

I get 19mpg when I pull, and 22mpg when I am on the highway :D:D:D

Im not going to debate about trucks...

I used to live in Detroit. When I graduated high school, back in the stone age, we had four career choices ahead of us: sail the Great Lakes, go to college, join the Army, or go to work for the Big Three. Even back then, the car factories paid $15 an hour to start, and we are talking about a long, long time ago here.

But the point of the story is this: Everyone, and I mean everyone, in Detroit knew all about the cars that were produced in town just by looking at the cars that sat in the employee parking lots of the assembly factories. For example, if you drove by the factory in Dearborn, where Fords were made, you saw Chryslers and GM products in those lots because the folks at Ford knew how they built cars, and they didn't buy them. Likewise, if you drove by the assembly plants in Flint, where GMs were produced, you saw Fords and Chryslers in the lots because the folks at GM knew how they built cars, and they didn't buy them. But when you drove by the assembly factories in Sterling Heights, you saw Chryslers in the lots because the folks at Chrysler built a good car and knew it, and they were happy to both buy and drive them.

That was true in Detroit for years and years and years -- right until the time that Chrysler about went belly-up for the first time. Today, what with the influx of foreign manufacturers and everybody owning a piece of everybody else? Not so much any more. The folks in Detroit today will tell you to buy the car or truck with the best warranty and at the best possible price and then drive it until it falls apart. In the vernacular of the insiders living and working in Motown, including some of my relatives: You seen one, you've seen 'em all.

A sad commentary, but true.

Are the newer (less than 4 years old) Dodge's better in the transmission reliability department?? I've heard the older ones had tranny problems.

The only problems so far with my '06 F350 have been a fuel pump that went out a few months ago. Other than that the thing runs great and pulls my loaded 18' enclosed trailer so well I can't even tell it's back there. :s0155:

I have a 06 cummins that I bought new and lost the tranny at 15,000 miles. Torque converter failed and sent half of it throught the tranny. I love the tranny in it over the 01 that I had but the dodge trannys have always had the same problem, the torque converters are too small. Other than that I havent has a single problem with the truck and love it. The cummins engine is a great powerplant for power and mileage. Ive seen plenty problems out of the fords and chevys and I will continue to buy dodge trucks. Overall they are great, durable trucks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top