JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And referring to an ar pistol as a range toy is just silly.
I have shot 38s to 100 yards,I'm sure even a 7in barreled 556/223 will do just fine out farther.
So if the 75s won't stabilize then the way to go would be to buy a box of each and see how they perform. Making sure you have some semblance of accuracy at 20? feet
Self defense can't be judged at 100 yards cause you will probably get into legal hassles,well even greater legal hassles if you shoot someone at that range
(Not talking about things like sniping your house in the country)
So given that,see what your three choices do at ranges measured inside your home.
But I would much rather use a shot gun for SD.
Easier to find ammo that will stay in your house. And easier to hit shtuff with

The barrel twist is fine, but only 7.5" of that twist isn't enough to stabilize a bullet of really any weight. An AR pistol that short is a range toy. If you use one for defense in the home, I really hope you're using frangible ammo, or don't like your neighbors that much because it will find a way out. I'd hate to answer for a wrongful death, injury, or even property damage to a DA in today's climate.

The problem with an 8" barrel is that you lose about 600 fps with many loads and many military projectiles will not fragment at that lower velocity, which is their primary means of tissue damage. An AR pistol owner who wants to use it for self-defense needs to find a load and projectile that will be effective from that pistol length barrel, from the muzzle out to their expected maximum engagement range.

The problem with an 8" barrel is that you lose about 600 fps with many loads and many military projectiles will not fragment at that lower velocity, which is their primary means of tissue damage. An AR pistol owner who wants to use it for self-defense needs to find a load and projectile that will be effective from that pistol length barrel, from the muzzle out to their expected maximum engagement range.

Agreed. There are better choices for HD.

FWIW - I just bought ten boxes (200 rounds) of each (75 and 64 - I already have some 55 gr).

Although my 556 rifles only have at best 1:10 rifling at best, I plan to get a DT MDR next year with a 556 barrel with 1:8 twist. I will try each load to see how it does in each rifle at that point.

Agreed. There are better choices for HD.

Although I don't own one (yet) there are a number of uses for an AR pistol in a self-defense role, and for use in home defense, it depends on your circumstances. I live on 20 acres on a mountain and the closest neighbor is 100+ yards away with old growth forest between us. Inside the house I would go with a handgun, outside a bullpup shotgun.

For traveling or commuting, if one were wishing to be prepared for a SHTF situation, then an AR pistol has a number of advantages in the role of usage for getting home. Personally I prefer bullpups, especially of the AK variety, but an AR pistol would work too and has the advantage of being legally concealable on your person while loaded.

I have a 7.5" AR pistol and I feed it what I buy on sale.
For SD your not looking for 100yd + shots. If your AR can't accurately fire any round 30-40yds you have other issues.
I'd buy the cheapest one, if all the same price why not go with the heaviest round.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top