JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Combo to take on a Road Trip?

• AR-15/1911

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • 1873/SP101

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
Option 3: pick a pistol and pack both rifles.

Does your trip involve camping at non designated campgrounds? Then bring the 357.

If you're staying at hotels, then pack whichever pistol you prefer for carry.

The rifles will more than likely be range toys on this trip and the two will easily fit in a slim pelican or rifle bag, so take them both and enjoy playing at Wyatt Earp and John Wick when you have some time to spare and cans to kill.

I always pack a 1911, and usually a long gun, depending on which states I'm traveling through, that can limit my choices, so, it's an FN/FAL for red states, and ether a 1895 or
K-31 for those draconian blue states!

I would bring what ever you are most comfortable/proficient with, with the thought of aligning with any mag capacity restraints Yiu would encounter crossing states..

I recently read on the super reliable internet, that if one is traveling interstate and a firearm remains cased and unloaded, one can't be charged with posession of a weapon restricted under the law of a state one is merely traveling through. I think the source referenced a federal law to protect travelers. Of course you are responsible to do your own legal research.

I recently read on the super reliable internet, that if one is traveling interstate and a firearm remains cased and unloaded, one can't be charged with posession of a weapon restricted under the law of a state one is merely traveling through. I think the source referenced a federal law to protect travelers. Of course you are responsible to do your own legal research.
FOPA

But both California and NY have been known to go ahead and charge/arrest people nonetheless. Also, you have to be going thru the state - you can't stop and "visit". E.G., like in the westerns when the sheriff tells the gunfighter to be keep on moving.

I usually take with me a Rossi 92 a CZ P-01 / Sig P226, and a Sig P365. It may be two calibers, but it's one cleaning kit.
.357 mag for four legged critters, 9mm for two legged critters. Admittedly, I often bring the SP101 and stash it someplace.

My vote would be the 1873 and the 1911, if only two.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Right now I'm leaning on taking the 1873 AND the AR-15 along with the Ruger SP101

Why?

The 1873 and SP101 share calibers. Prefer my 1911 at the range but that's needlessly adding in another pistol caliber and it is easier to deep conceal the SP101.

The AR because it really doesn't take up much room when it's broken down in the bag..... but I could change my mind and still leave it at home.

I was initially leaning on the AR/1911 combo but my out of state family asked that I bring the 1873.... they just love shooting that ol gal.

I just returned from a road trip. AR pistol and a glock 19 is what I like carrying. It's what I carry daily so it just keeps it consistent. Out of your choices My preference would be option 1 or both. I'd definitely take the AR.

Not sure but that seems pretty paranoid? What do you think you'll encounter? I planning a roadtrip for next yer that involves some bear country camping so ill be packing a 500mag and either a 12ga or a ak pistol

A baseball bat a 5 gallon container of gasoline and Mt Dew at least a 24 pack and two boxes of Twinkies regular flavor none of that Baha blast stuff !!!
mountain-few-featured.jpg

That VooDew mystery flavor a couple years ago was delicious.

The #2 Western Combo all the way. No state restricts on either a lever action or pump action rifles, and a single action pistol is faster with the proper training, than any double action pistol. Also as a former law enforcement and military guy, I can tell you that unless your going to downtown Fallujah, either one will be fine. Most self-defense situations are resolved with one or two shots. Just keep situational awareness and you'll be fine.

Hey Folks,

I'm planning a road trip to some distant states this fall (TN, KY, AR, MO, ect). I'll be mostly avoiding major cities and camping along the way or staying with friends. I generally take a rifle with me on road trips. I'm torn between two options

Option #1

AR-15 (5.56) w/ Aimpoint PRO & 1911 (45ACP)

OR

Option #2

1873 Winchester (.357 mag) & SP101 (.357 mag)

PROS & CONS:

Option #1

Pro: Excellent rifle, great capacity, easily concealed in a break-down bag. 1911 is reliable with easy mag changes

Cons: Not always a great combo in some restrictive states (I don't plan on spending time in those states but who knows). It would requiring bringing two different calibers.

Option #2

Pro: shared caliber (357 mag). No restriction in any state (that I am aware). The 1873 is REALLY fun to shoot (and let's be honest I'll mostly be plinking with friends). I'll probably bring my 1873 single action pistol along as well because...hey why not? The .357 mag is strong enough to handle anything in the states where I'm going

Cons: Limited capacity (10 rds for the rifle, 5 for the pistol), not as easily concealed, slower reload

I don't intend to or want to get into a SHTF scenario on the road...but we all know to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

What are other Pros/Cons I'm missing?

What would you take with you and why?
I would take a 556 short barrel especially if it had a folding stock. Easy to conceal anywhere and put in vehicle/pack etc. Fe brn-180:
B2DC76A5-D84E-460B-96C9-524C61393E18.jpeg

Second gun would be standard edc pistol that u are confident with and can draw and shoot quickly, accurately, and confidently.

subsitute a pcc for gun #1 if you want to have pistol and stabilized gun both in the same caliber.

FA52C012-1975-40C6-98C7-B355F820B61A.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews