JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at Palmetto Armory's sale, and all three grains are the same price.

Which is the most effective for a 7.5in ar pistol for self defense?

ScreenHunter_671%20Jul.%2004%2012.27.jpg

Buy several of each and try them out. It will depend - at least in part - on the twist rate of the barrel.

Personally, I would go for the 75 grain if the barrel would stabilize it. The .223 rifles I have won't, but I plan on getting a DT MDR which I think will have a barrel that would, so I am going to get some of each (I already have the 55 grain GD).

.Which is the most effective for a 7.5in ar pistol for self defense?.
"Effective" AR handgun? lol.
Easy, a regular twenty-shot two pound 9mm handgun.. that you can carry concealed all day long. They are about nine inches long.
what?
Unless you like sporting a ten pound gunny sack on yer arse all day long.
lol

For SD I'd go with the 64 grain. You don't need anything more than that and your twist rate will stabilize them well.

Thanks for all the inputs guys, Im planning on having this as a trunk gun or a backup to the rifle ar at home. So short distance easy to maneuver type deal. Plus light enough for the missus to handle.

Sounds like I should have built an ar pistol in 9mm. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the inputs guys, Im planning on having this as a trunk gun or a backup to the rifle ar at home. So short distance easy to maneuver type deal. Plus light enough for the missus to handle.

Sounds like I should have built an ar pistol in 9mm. :rolleyes:
And invested in a gunny sack for your trunk.. of your automobile :rolleyes
"handgun".

My "trunk gun" (should I ever feel the need to carry more than a handgun):

factory-dn-ps90.jpg

Not a pistol, so I can't legal conceal it on my person, but I can carry it unloaded in a pack.

It disassembles into two components about 18" long and can be reassembled and loaded in less than 30 seconds, then carried on your person concealed just as easily as an AR "pistol". The ballistics from the 16" barrel (18" with flash hider) are slightly below that of an AR pistol with an 8" barrel.

My "trunk gun" (should I ever feel the need to carry more than a handgun):

View attachment 300698

Not a pistol, so I can't legal conceal it on my person, but I can carry it unloaded in a pack.

It disassembles into two components about 18" long and can be reassembled and loaded in less than 30 seconds, then carried on your person concealed just as easily as an AR "pistol". The ballistics from the 16" barrel (18" with flash hider) are slightly below that of an AR pistol with an 8" barrel.
I remember Elmer Keith.. carried an iron sighted 4" revolver on his hip around for like a hundred years. no car trunk action.
Of course though when older, and pack horses were involved, the .338 was invented.. by him.
This is code for a 4" magnum revolver is a rifle.

I remember Elmer Keith.. carried an iron sighted 4" revolver on his hip around for like a hundred years. no car trunk action.
Of course though when older, and pack horses were involved, the .338 was invented.. by him.
This is code for a 4" magnum revolver is a rifle.

I've read a lot of Elmer Keith's writings.

I am no Elmer Keith.

I can't hit an elk at 600 yards with a revolver, no matter how much I practice, and yes, I do have a 4" .44 mag revolver - a S&W no less.

So for me, a revolver or any other handgun, is not a substitute for a rifle.

Besides, if I have a rifle in the trunk, I will also have a handgun.

I've read a lot of Elmer Keith's writings.

I am no Elmer Keith.

I can't hit an elk at 600 yards with a revolver, no matter how much I practice, and yes, I do have a 4" .44 mag revolver - a S&W no less.

So for me, a revolver or any other handgun, is not a substitute for a rifle.

Besides, if I have a rifle in the trunk, I will also have a handgun.
Me too. Who is? Elmer carried a rifle on his hip though.. for a hundred years.. every doo dah ferkin day.

I would think that the 1/7 twist would handle those 75 trainers just fine
On most ammo standards,75 grains ain't much
Go big or go homeo_O

The barrel twist is fine, but only 7.5" of that twist isn't enough to stabilize a bullet of really any weight. An AR pistol that short is a range toy. If you use one for defense in the home, I really hope you're using frangible ammo, or don't like your neighbors that much because it will find a way out. I'd hate to answer for a wrongful death, injury, or even property damage to a DA in today's climate.

The military is going towards heavier projectiles. The mk262 at 77 grains is in limited use and I seem to remember that they are experimenting with 90 grain projectiles too. It is frustrating that the military wants to spend billions upon billions for new big dollar weapon systems, but won't spend the funds to go to a better cartridge like the 6.8 SPC because they don't want to spend the money on conversion.

A lot depends on the load and the projectile, especially in the 5.56, the construction of the projectile being as important as the weight. For an AR pistol, I would assert that you would want an expanding projectile that expands reliably from the muzzle out to 200 meters or more. If you can get that with the 75 grain GD, with the lowest flash, then you are good to go and that would be my preference.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top