JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Combo to take on a Road Trip?

• AR-15/1911

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • 1873/SP101

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I'm planning a road trip to some distant states this fall (TN, KY, AR, MO, ect). I'll be mostly avoiding major cities and camping along the way or staying with friends. I generally take a rifle with me on road trips. I'm torn between two options

Option #1

AR-15 (5.56) w/ Aimpoint PRO & 1911 (45ACP)

OR

Option #2

1873 Winchester (.357 mag) & SP101 (.357 mag)

PROS & CONS:

Option #1

Pro: Excellent rifle, great capacity, easily concealed in a break-down bag. 1911 is reliable with easy mag changes

Cons: Not always a great combo in some restrictive states (I don't plan on spending time in those states but who knows). It would requiring bringing two different calibers.

Option #2

Pro: shared caliber (357 mag). No restriction in any state (that I am aware). The 1873 is REALLY fun to shoot (and let's be honest I'll mostly be plinking with friends). I'll probably bring my 1873 single action pistol along as well because...hey why not? The .357 mag is strong enough to handle anything in the states where I'm going

Cons: Limited capacity (10 rds for the rifle, 5 for the pistol), not as easily concealed, slower reload

I don't intend to or want to get into a SHTF scenario on the road...but we all know to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

What are other Pros/Cons I'm missing?

What would you take with you and why?

#1 because #2 is a compromise to cater to ban states.

#1 because if things did go south, I'd rather have that combo.

15da66c4816f2dbf6b53f751dd6590bd.jpg

Don't forget the quiet stuff.

#2. Shared calibers, plenty of power for self-defense purposes.

My friends live in CA and family in NY so I'd go Glock 17 & stock pc 9 with a bunch of 10 round magazines. (In fact, I bought the 17 for a cross-country trip). All good enough at self defense ranges.

Plenty of occasions for this; like discretely bringing it in and out of a hotel
I think you'll find this is ridiculously easy. My preferred chain has a "No Firearms" policy. Only once in dozens and dozens of times did I ever encounter the question, "what do you have in your case there?", and it was by a nosy guest.

The answer depends on what you're bringing. If I was driving, I'd bring two double rifle cases, which means #1 & #2 + a 22LR and another pistol or two and If I was feeling sporty, an AR10 or a LR rifle. Ammo is easy - stuff that into nooks and crannies.
My coworkers love working with me at sites out west because they know I'll be traveling with at least two and often four guns. Get pizza and beer, head out to BLM land and shoot stuff.

If you have friends or friends of friends with acreage in *any* of those states, also bring a varmint rig or two. You're going where real men like to shoot stuff.

PS, if you need to borrow some Pelican cases or locking gear, happy to loan some.

Not sure about the states you would choose or have to cross - e.g., Colorado which has mag capacity restrictions.

Either option sounds good. I would opt for a hard case, just in case you get stuck somewhere and need to fly home, but also would go for a backpack to stuff the guns into in case you need to hoof it.

The benefit of the AR is that it can be easily broken down into two shorter sections for fitting into a backpack.

Hey Folks,

I'm planning a road trip to some distant states this fall (TN, KY, AR, MO, ect). I'll be mostly avoiding major cities and camping along the way or staying with friends. I generally take a rifle with me on road trips. I'm torn between two options

Option #1

AR-15 (5.56) w/ Aimpoint PRO & 1911 (45ACP)

OR

Option #2

1873 Winchester (.357 mag) & SP101 (.357 mag)

PROS & CONS:

Option #1

Pro: Excellent rifle, great capacity, easily concealed in a break-down bag. 1911 is reliable with easy mag changes

Cons: Not always a great combo in some restrictive states (I don't plan on spending time in those states but who knows). It would requiring bringing two different calibers.

Option #2

Pro: shared caliber (357 mag). No restriction in any state (that I am aware). The 1873 is REALLY fun to shoot (and let's be honest I'll mostly be plinking with friends). I'll probably bring my 1873 single action pistol along as well because...hey why not? The .357 mag is strong enough to handle anything in the states where I'm going

Cons: Limited capacity (10 rds for the rifle, 5 for the pistol), not as easily concealed, slower reload

I don't intend to or want to get into a SHTF scenario on the road...but we all know to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

What are other Pros/Cons I'm missing?

What would you take with you and why?
The states you listed I don't believe have any magazines capacity restrictions. If you are driving through state that does have magazine restrictions maybe bypass that state entirely if possible. I know Colorado has magazine capacity limits.

I would personally do the 1873 & 1911.

Bring the gun that warms your innards for the real shooting.

The 1911 will provide plenty of defensive prowess and provide way more pleasure at the range than the sp101, to me anyway.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top