JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which classified category should we use for serial numbered frames, receivers, etc?

• Firearm Category (as we do now)

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • Parts & Accessories

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
For quite some time now we've asked people to place serial numbered parts such as frames, receivers, etc. (the actual 'firearm', according to the ATF) in the handgun or rifle section. For example, an AR15 lower receiver would be placed in the Rifle Classifieds section, though it is not a complete firearm.

I can understand how this can be confusing, considering that although a part is considered a firearm, it's still just a part. I'm thinking maybe we should place them in the Parts & Accessories section to reduce confusion, as it seems to be the place where people place them more often than not. What do you guys think?

Yep, a Glock frame, for example, needs to be in the HG ad. And a stripped AR lower needs to be in the Rifle. If the original paperwork says the lower is a pistol, they could include that in the ad.

Stuff in the P&A subforum are those items you can meet people in a parking lot. It needs to be clear from the outside that we as a community understand the difference and understand the rules. I like how people, generally, declare in their ads that they are 100% going to do FFL transfers.

Yea, I'd say keep it simple.. most people know that a "lower" is the gun.. however you might want to "build" it.
Parts is everything minus the "gun".. the part with the serial #.. no matter the gun.

What about Glocks?

The frame, slide, barrel all have matching numbers... and I believe I saw numbers on some of the internal bits too.

Now I agree that everyone SHOULD know what part is LEGALLY considered he firearm, but when deal with the "general public.... :rolleyes:

What if you want to "part out" those bits like a Glock barrel or slide? They're matched serial numbers to the frame.

What about Glocks?

The frame, slide, barrel all have matching numbers... and I believe I saw numbers on some of the internal bits too.

Now I agree that everyone SHOULD know what part is LEGALLY considered he firearm, but when deal with the "general public.... :rolleyes:

What if you want to "part out" those bits like a Glock barrel or slide? They're matched serial numbers to the frame.

I've bought and sold several Glock lowers and complete uppers. Only the lowers have ever required an FFL for the transfer. Complete uppers can be bought an sold on Ebay, no problem.

I typically look for uppers (Glock, AR, etc.) in the Parts and Accessories section, same for 80% lowers. Receivers that have to go through an FFL, I look in their respective sections - handguns or rifles.

No, I get what you're saying and agree with, and practice the same as you. I was responding to the OP about serial numbered "parts" in general because I FAILED to see the word "frames" after "receivers" thereby nullifying my ENTIRE prior post... herp a derp! :confused:

Enjoy this moment... it doesn't happen very often! ;)

:D

No, I get what you're saying and agree with, and practice the same as you. I was responding to the OP about serial numbered "parts" in general because I FAILED to see the word "frames" after "receivers" thereby nullifying my ENTIRE prior post... herp a derp! :confused:

Enjoy this moment... it doesn't happen very often! ;)

:D

004a044e1927a979dbf090ba65323894381708169d8592afbb7b70100f3e244a.jpg

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

If you are doing:

Rifles:
Semi auto
Bolt
Break action
Other (Frames & Stripped Lowers)
Pistols
Revolver
Semi Auto
Other (Frames & Stripped Lowers)
Why not?
I mean a pistol frame is a pistol frame and somebody looking for pistols *may* see it and say "hey, I should build that pistol I wanted to buy with this".

That's how my brain works.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads